You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2021 8:38 pm  #86

Re: Park Fees...future

BB wrote:

So I guess they aren't good at math, because, If I'm correct. Half of the back country traffic is either solo or pairs.  Which means that there is no real majority either way.  Yet they are using those numbers to a degree to justify the flat fee.
Mind blown 

I'm sure that MECP stats quoted by CTV is very far from being correct. In almost 20 years of  AP trips I met less than a dozen solo paddlers (hence I remember them all). Suggesting that almost every tenth group in a park is comprised of a solo paddler is incredible. Some years ago an owner of a Temagami lodge extensively catering to canoe parties told me that I was one of two solo canoeists he knows.

3/24/2021 9:18 pm  #87

Hi Eddy, I think the solo stats are likely bolstered by the backpacking subset. Based on my experience on the trails, there are a substantial amount of solo hikers.

3/25/2021 6:29 am  #88

Thanks, didn't think of it myself. It's definitely rings true for AP, but not for Temagami set of parks - very little trails there accessible by foot. And I think almost all of them aren't long enough for multi-day use, so hikers do not have to register or obtain permits. It''s either campgrounds or interiror canoeing that show in the stats.

Last edited by EddyTurn (3/25/2021 6:58 am)

3/25/2021 6:59 am  #89

The Parks numbers are almost assuredly skewed lower.  Couples tripping together, 2 families of 4 etc. Arriving in separate cars will most likely make separate bookings now. Under a flat rate there is a big incentive to book together.

So if the Park thinks their avg party size is 4 now, it isn’t. It will be 5 or more maybe under a flat rate fee.

That doesn’t sound like more revenue for AP to me.

In fairness it might for a park like Killarney which is always full with  tons of easy access lakes. The consolidation would free up more sites. This would happen in AP to an extent as well on easy access lakes. Hard to get to lakes in AP are less frequently full so less benefits there.

Again the easy route with no guesswork involved  is just to raise the per person fee.

Last edited by ShawnD (3/25/2021 7:21 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/25/2021 7:54 am  #90

10% fee hike, 10 minutes of coding to make it happen, no one would say a thing and the parks would become self sustaining. It’s mind boggling that they didn’t just go with that approach.

3/25/2021 8:01 am  #91

ShawnD wrote:

The Parks numbers are almost assuredly skewed lower. Couples tripping together, 2 families of 4 etc. Arriving in separate cars will most likely make separate bookings now. Under a flat rate there is a big incentive to book together.

So if the Park thinks their avg party size is 4 now, it isn’t. It will be 5 or more maybe under a flat rate fee.

That doesn’t sound like more revenue for AP to me.

In fairness it might for a park like Killarney which is always full with tons of easy access lakes. The consolidation would free up more sites. This would happen in AP to an extent as well on easy access lakes. Hard to get to lakes in AP are less frequently full so less benefits there.

Again the easy route with no guesswork involved is just to raise the per person fee.

I'm sure the numbers are skewed somewhat.  Although I can only imagine over the last few years as kayaks and pack boats have become more popular that soloist have increased.  

That being said, as you mentioned I don't see this making places like APP any more, potentially even less if groups exceed 4 on average. 

Increasing the per person rate or having a per person rate for groups less than 4 and flat rate for 4 or more would also not be unreasonable.  Something along those lines anyways.  

@Eddy, I think everyone totally forgot about backpackers in this whole discussion.  Which is a mistake as they are many of them, maybe more so in APP than other parks. But they would be hit just as hard. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/25/2021 8:15 am  #92

nvm wrote:

10% fee hike, 10 minutes of coding to make it happen, no one would say a thing and the parks would become self sustaining. It’s mind boggling that they didn’t just go with that approach.

This 

But also, when does the Gov't ever do anything the easy way or what makes sense?

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/25/2021 8:27 am  #93

nvm wrote:

Someone needs to run for office and this needs to be their mantra.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/25/2021 8:39 am  #94

some thing  like a "common sense revolution" ,, i think that  mike harris already tried that motto on for size??? and he is on record telling ontario parks to turn a profit or no more funding programs,, especially pointing a finger at algonquin and the newly minted visitors centre that was complete around that time frame.
     back to square one again?

3/25/2021 9:01 am  #95

BB wrote:

@Eddy, I think everyone totally forgot about backpackers in this whole discussion.  Which is a mistake as they are many of them, maybe more so in APP than other parks. But they would be hit just as hard. 

Then I wonder if hikers are involved in any way in this discussion and are aware of the petition? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with their forums and Facebook groups.May be FB is more popular media for Ontario backpackers than AP forums? It's just an assumption on my part since I don't have social media accounts.

3/25/2021 8:58 pm  #96

EddyTurn wrote:

BB wrote:

Then I wonder if hikers are involved in any way in this discussion and are aware of the petition? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with their forums and Facebook groups.May be FB is more popular media for Ontario backpackers than AP forums? It's just an assumption on my part since I don't have social media accounts.

Good questions - although I have traditionally backpacked more than canoed, this has been my go to forum (a great group of people on here!). I haven't come across any other forum of this calibre geared more toward backpacking, but I too don't have social media accounts, so who knows. I must say that I do sense a greater camaraderie amongst canoeists!

Last edited by hiker72 (3/25/2021 8:59 pm)

3/26/2021 8:05 am  #97

If anyone is looking for some good Facebook groups feel free to PM me. I won't post them here so as not to distract from the discussion of fee changes. 

3/28/2021 8:03 pm  #98

This is the first I'm hearing about the rate hike.  The last great deal to be had for provincial services is now history.  I recall the first time I ever booked a backcountry trip I was amazed at how great the price was that I called a buddy and booked a second one right away.  Think about how great that was .. always a great sight (almost always) and right on the lake .. something you dont get car camping unless you are lucky enough to book 5 months ahead. 

Oh well ... I'm still gonna go but agree with the solo enthusiasts .. not fair to them.

3/29/2021 9:29 am  #99

Eddy turn, I find the opposite is true, there are far more soloists and couples than there are large groups except on the "main street" routes.
 Once you get more than a day from the put-ins it's almost exclusively groups of 4 or less- soloists, couples, and families with one or two kids. just for logistics alone large groups are difficult for more than a few days due to different paddling styles and speed, food preferences, and abilities.
Your perception may be skewed simply because large groups are more noticeable,and take more time to cross lakes or portages, increasing your chances of contact. When I solo or go with my wife or a friend, you'd be hard pressed to even know I was there once I stop for the night, because one small tent set back from the lake, a single canoe pulled up and placed on the site, and a small fire (if any) isn't, all that noticeable compared to 3-4 canoes, a large cooking fire, and as many as 6 tents.

3/29/2021 6:11 pm  #100

scoutergriz: our statistics differ for some reason, but it's not a perception. Traveling mostly solo myself I remember almost every solo boat I've ever met in the AP in 20 years of travel. Main street or off.  Since 2014 in about 40 days I met about 4-5 of them (not counting kayakers on Opeongo). And altogether it's under a dozen among many hundreds tandems, May to October. Of course it's easier to miss a single boat than a group on a bigger lake, but single solo is as easy to see as a single tandem (or almost - solo paddlers rarely talk to themselves). I can't testify to how many tandems travel in large or small groups - hard to tell unless one counts them. My impression is it's mostly 2-3 tandems in a group, unless it's a kids camp.

3/30/2021 8:06 am  #101

EddyTurn wrote:

scoutergriz: our statistics differ for some reason, but it's not a perception. Traveling mostly solo myself I remember almost every solo boat I've ever met in the AP in 20 years of travel. Main street or off.  Since 2014 in about 40 days I met about 4-5 of them (not counting kayakers on Opeongo). And altogether it's under a dozen among many hundreds tandems, May to October. Of course it's easier to miss a single boat than a group on a bigger lake, but single solo is as easy to see as a single tandem (or almost - solo paddlers rarely talk to themselves). I can't testify to how many tandems travel in large or small groups - hard to tell unless one counts them. My impression is it's mostly 2-3 tandems in a group, unless it's a kids camp.

Didn’t know I was such a rarity.   

Dave

3/30/2021 8:19 am  #102

sorry, but I've LED trips for over 20 years and know for a fact that most groups end up spread over a km or more, and KNOW most people don't realize they're a group until they get to the site.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.