You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2020 3:15 pm  #18

Re: Maps

When I put that address into chrome it just pulled up some general search links about avenza.  It didn't launch the app.  I tried with the app closed and open while doing it.

Maybe its an Android vs. I phone issue???

3/03/2020 4:04 pm  #19

ryan72 wrote:

When I put that address into chrome it just pulled up some general search links about avenza.  It didn't launch the app.  I tried with the app closed and open while doing it.

Here's one final method to try that I just tested on iOS:
In the Avenza app, try hitting the plus sign to add a map, and then using the option "enter a URL of a map" and then enter that same avenza-mapstore style link (even though it only explicitly mentions http or ftp address support, it seems the app can interpret it)

For me on iOS it pulls up the page for download. May work in your case since the link is input direct in the app instead of using Chrome as a middle-man?

3/03/2020 4:31 pm  #20

Spoonsy wrote:

... I don't think it's searchable in the Avenza Store anymore but as far as I know the direct link from algonquinmap.com still works

avenza-mapstore://product_details/94357

I have the map loaded on my previous phone and my ipad but I thought that since the map was removed from being "sellable" that I couldn't put it on my newer android phone. I opened my account, went to my download history, and hit the download button for Jeff's version 5 and it worked. So Avenue definitely keeps it one their server and does make it available, at least if it was in your history.

@ryan72, you may try playing with android permissions that let apps open automatically? Maybe this would work? Or you can have it download on an iOS device then I guess it would let you obtain it the same way I did.

Thanks for the tip Spoonsy!

3/03/2020 4:56 pm  #21

Spoonsy wrote:

OTCanadienne wrote:

Peek, just wondering how you use the kmz map? Can you use this with avenza? Thanks in advance.

If you copy/paste the below link in iOS Safari or the Android equivalent it should load in Avenza.

I don't think it's searchable in the Avenza Store anymore but as far as I know the direct link from algonquinmap.com still works

That is great! What are the odds you have those addresses for the Killarney and Temagami maps. I've been stumped on how to get them back on my phone

3/03/2020 5:22 pm  #22

MartinG wrote:

Spoonsy wrote:

OTCanadienne wrote:

Peek, just wondering how you use the kmz map? Can you use this with avenza? Thanks in advance.

If you copy/paste the below link in iOS Safari or the Android equivalent it should load in Avenza.

I don't think it's searchable in the Avenza Store anymore but as far as I know the direct link from algonquinmap.com still works

That is great! What are the odds you have those addresses for the Killarney and Temagami maps. I've been stumped on how to get them back on my phone

Killarney:
avenza-mapstore://product_details/98870

Temagami:
avenza-mapstore://product_
details/99398

Last edited by Spoonsy (3/03/2020 5:57 pm)

3/03/2020 5:47 pm  #23

Spoonsy wrote:

ryan72 wrote:

Here's one final method to try that I just tested on iOS:
In the Avenza app, try hitting the plus sign to add a map, and then using the option "enter a URL of a map" and then enter that same avenza-mapstore style link (even though it only explicitly mentions http or ftp address support, it seems the app can interpret it)

For me on iOS it pulls up the page for download. May work in your case since the link is input direct in the app instead of using Chrome as a middle-man?

I was able.to.find it searching it that way but unfortunately I get an error message when trying to.download the map. Oh well. I guess I will just have to wait and hot that Unlostify has their map done by May.

3/03/2020 6:13 pm  #24

@spoonsy thanks the links work great, but unfortunately I get an error message when trying to download the maps. Basically a purchase error because I had not "purchased" them previously under an account.

Unlostify will not be putting their maps on Avenza. I guess, I will stick with topos on my phone for the foreseeable future.

3/03/2020 8:15 pm  #25

MartinG wrote:

@spoonsy thanks the links work great, but unfortunately I get an error message when trying to download the maps. Basically a purchase error because I had not "purchased" them previously under an account.

Unlostify will not be putting their maps on Avenza. I guess, I will stick with topos on my phone for the foreseeable future.

That's correct but from what I understand they will be using a new platform. Will still be able to use a digital version on your smartphone.

9/01/2020 8:36 pm  #26

Just tried this and got all 3 on my android, Thanks alot, thought I was screwed when my old phone broke. (had no account for avenza and imported via URL)

9/03/2020 7:28 pm  #27

TrevaH wrote:

Just tried this and got all 3 on my android, Thanks alot, thought I was screwed when my old phone broke. (had no account for avenza and imported via URL)

What browser did you copy that link into on your Android device?
Edit - I got it to work with a little trouble shooting. I got an error when i entered the URL into the APP on my Android phone. I then tried my girlfriends IPhone and it worked no problem. I then decided to log into my account on her IPhone so it would be in my "dowload history" so I could try it that way on my Android. Then to my surprise it did not work any more on her IPhone. Then I logged out of my account on my Android and it worked great.
Moral of the story - It wont work if you are logged in when you enter the URL!

Last edited by ATVenture (9/03/2020 7:52 pm)

9/03/2020 8:14 pm  #28

It has been driving me bonkers that I can not download these maps to my android using the work around listed above by Spoonsy. Whenever I would try to download the maps, I would get an error, "An error occurred while processing this purchase on the Avenza Map Store server. Try purchasing it again." 

Turns out the error happened because I was logged in to an account that had not "purchased" these maps back when they were freely available on the map store. All I had to do was log out and presto it worked. 

Once logged out these are the steps I used:

1. Load Avenza App
2. Click the Orange ‘+’ sign
3. Click ‘Download or import a map’
4. Under the section ‘Import your own maps’ choose the last option in the list, then enter the following URL:
4a. For JM v5: avenza-mapstore://product_details/94357
4b. For Temagami v1: avenza-mapstore://product_details/99398
4c. For Killarney v2: avenza-mapstore://product_details/98870

Thanks to Peek, ShawnD and Spoonsy for the help. 

9/03/2020 8:15 pm  #29

Hah, didn't see your edit Andrew. Yup!

What I would really like is to get ahold of these ZIP files that are being downloaded when you install the maps. That way we could always have access to them, even when they are removed from the store..

Last edited by MartinG (9/03/2020 8:17 pm)

9/06/2020 5:01 pm  #30

Yea the trick was to not be logged in for android.... weird but I'll take it.

9/08/2020 11:01 am  #31

MartinG wrote:

Hah, didn't see your edit Andrew. Yup!

What I would really like is to get ahold of these ZIP files that are being downloaded when you install the maps. That way we could always have access to them, even when they are removed from the store..

Agree Martin :-)  This is exactly my concern I was referencing in my post (https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2923), if the store changes their policies (ie making maps unavailable from discontinued Avenza map producers - I won't be able to load on my next phone).  If I do find it I'll shoot you a PM (perhaps you could do the same?) :-)

9/08/2020 11:07 am  #32

I know Deki and Jeff have a plan to release the unlostify maps in a similar to Avenza format eventually. Hopefully that is the next project after the Algonquin map. That will solve this issue except for those that want a Temagami map I guess. Unless unlostify has Temagami in its sights too. Always a possibility.

9/08/2020 11:44 am  #33

MartinG wrote:

Now you have me wondering. Somewhere I have an old Motorola phone that had avenza and all Jeff's Maps on it. Do not know of the files are there but it is worth the look. 
Fair warning, this may take a few days, I have n idea where it is but I will let you all know what I find.

9/08/2020 4:22 pm  #34

I have tried extensively to get the maps off my android device. I can't find them. Not saying it is impossible, just beyond a casual look around. Avenza intentionally hides or encrypts any files downloaded through the Avenza Store.

That said someone has figured it out. God knows when but I got the Temagami map this way. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11SwXX7k_-XrX1go_AI2kcxhnjTdA3Fr5/view?usp=sharing (225mb)  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.