You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2017 6:36 pm  #18

Re: American Eel in the Park

That's odd that they would be a significant sighting in Algonquin since they're common all around the park. In any event, I have fished and been an astute and frequent observer of nature for over 40 years, so I can confidently say what I didn't see, and the only two things I can't rule out are american eel and mudpuppy. It sounds to me like the latter is more probable, although the former is what they really looked like to me.

3/21/2017 6:44 pm  #19

OK, I read the two articles and I see why the interest. I will report them, although I have no evidence - if I had known the significance at the time, I would have caught and/or photographed them for proof. 

5/10/2017 3:02 pm  #20

For what its worth mudpuppies are mainly nocturnal ... we see lots at night in the oxford mills area near Ottawa ...  if you ever get a chance to hold one you might be surprised.  They are very docile (at least in winter) and are not slimy.  More squishy !!

5/11/2017 8:27 am  #21

I definitely see a lot of mudpuppies at night eating up our food scraps from washing pans and dishes.  They look like small cat fish kind of.

5/11/2017 8:48 am  #22

5/11/2017 1:31 pm  #23

What i am seeing definitely are catfish then lol.  I have never seen on of those in Algonquin.  It was actually kind of cute ha

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.