You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2017 10:13 am  #1

Post your boat!

Alright Algonquin campers, show me what you paddle! What boat (or boats) do you take into Algonquin, and why? Here's my kayak, fresh out of winter storage:

It's a Delta 16, bought a few years ago as a sleeker replacement for its 14.5 predecessor. Deltas have a lot of storage space and large hatch openings, which makes packing a lot easier than it would be with most kayaks - something I appreciate greatly at every portage. I solo camp almost exclusively, so for me the kayak is an ideal choice, after a lot of time and effort to figure out how to portage one effectively that is. I can cover a lot more distance than I could ever hope to in a canoe, and the rudder means I've never been windbound. While camping isn't about being fast, it's nice to be able to get through the easy access lakes into more remote areas quickly. 

4/17/2017 2:37 pm  #2

Re: Post your boat!

Maiden Voyage on Friday of my Keewaydin 14..First trip May 5th.. Can't wait !!

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/17/2017 3:11 pm  #3

My Langford Nahanni. Its old and has many a battle scar. Still lightweight and fast. Love it, as do my Boys.

4/17/2017 4:28 pm  #4

The timing of this post is great given I just got home from a drive up to Swift in Waubaushene and came home with this beauty. It's a 2015 Swift Prospector 16 by David Yost, Kevlar Fusion layup with Aluminium trim and kevlar skid-plates. Coming in at ~ 43 lbs. She's going to have a busy season, but the maiden trip comes May 4th.

4/17/2017 5:02 pm  #5

Awesome topic!  We are going to see some sweet rides I bet!!

Boat number one is a Merrimack that I bought in 1993.  Fell in love at a boat show in Rochester, NY when I saw one that was ivory colored.  I was 27 I guess, not much money, but could not help myself.  I was smitten.  Merrimacks are cherry-ribbed, clear fiberglassed over the wood on the inside, fiberglassed on the outside.  You may not agree, but I just thought it was a lovely boat.  16' or so long, 68 pounds, 35-36" beam.  It carries well, it is balanced perfectly.  A lot of water has passed beneath this hull, as have a few rocks and the like, but she earned every stripe.  Pretty fast I always thought.  The next canoe I'm going to show is noticeably faster, but my comparison point in 1993 was to the Grumman Battleship and the Grumman Aircraft Carrier, at 72 pounds and 78 pounds respectively.  At the time I was all excited to get a lightweight boat with some nice lines!  The photo is from July 2016, at the conclusion of my son's first canoe trip.  The appeal to me of the Merrimack, just visually, is that it resembles a canvas canoe.  One of the boy scout dad's who mentored me years ago had a pale green Chestnut that was a stunner, and a rocket on the water.  That filled my head with a great idea that one day I should get a canvas canoe.  That leads me to boat number two.

An Old Town Lightweight Canvas.  After waiting I dunno, thirty years, I finally said how much longer are you going to wait to do this?  Answer - 2016.  So I bought her last year at this time.  I am the second owner of this 1967 beauty.  She's 15' long, weighs around 58 pounds.  I replaced the center thwart with one that made carrying much easier (original is in my basement).  The original owner bought it new and enjoyed it until she was physically no longer able, and decided to give the boat second life by selling it.  The wood is marvelous.  I was told it was original canvas, but it wasn't.  Had to deal with a leaking issue after the first outing - whoever put the canvas on forgot compound underneath the stem bands, and once that simple problem was solved, smooth sailing, plus we got correct stem bands on her.  This boat is very fast, and accompanied me on my first solo canoe trip last Fall.  My wife and I certainly put the boat to good use last year, we had it out quite a bit, and it was even on Lake Ontario a few times.  We've already had her out twice this year.  There were two reasons I looked for and bought a lightweight Old Town.  One was the weight of course, the other was because there is no thwart immediately behind the bow seat, which makes it easier to use as a solo boat (same is true of the Merrimack).  I am a bit of a geezer in that respect - I use the seat - I've never been able to kneel well in a canoe.  I kneel if the wind and waves require it, but that's it.  This boat, while lighter, feels a little bit more like dead weight on my shoulders than the Merrimack.

I wanted to refer to the canvas boat as the Monitor so we'd have the Monitor and the Merrimack, but my wife doesn't like that, and wants to call it the "Old Town".  Its' ok though, the Monitor knows her name when she hears it. 

At some point, as I age gracelessly, I'm going to have to look at getting a Kevlar something or other weighs nothing boat, but that will push one of the other boats out of the garage, so I'm not in a hurry to do that just yet....I think.  For now I just have to prevent the Merrimack from getting too jealous of the use the Monitor, I mean Old Town, has been getting.

4/17/2017 5:45 pm  #6

Can never have too many canoes!

4/18/2017 9:05 am  #7

Martin - Nice Prospector ;) I tried my hand at finding something comparable!

Uppa - how often do you have people from AA recognize you based on your Kayak. I couldn't miss you by a mile if I crossed paths with you.

4/18/2017 9:26 am  #8

Some gorgeous canoes posted in this thread, and I don't even like canoes!

@dontgroandaddy: those boats are almost too pretty to be using them. 

@MartinG: I think you may have a problem. The problem being that you're going to need a bigger garage soon. 

@basilthegood: Only once so far. MartinG and I crossed paths on our ice-out trips last May, on a tiny little lake with no campsites. Was really cool to bump into someone I 'know' like that. But yes, it's rare enough to see a kayak in the park at all once you're over a portage or two, let alone a lime green sea kayak. It's definitely a conversation starter. 

4/18/2017 10:06 am  #9

Swift Temagami aka The Big Yellow Banana. 
Here I am trying my luck at hitchhiking on the 60. 

4/18/2017 11:09 am  #10

RCSpartan - If you stood like that in front of a portage sign, nobody would ever see you.

4/18/2017 11:11 am  #11

dontgroandaddy wrote:

RCSpartan - If you stood like that in front of a portage sign, nobody would ever see you.

Ha! That's the look I was going for..

5/15/2017 10:53 am  #12

Just picked up my brand-spanking new Souris River Quetico 17 last night in Albany, NY as part of the "circle tour" of delivery.  400 mile round trip (gas mileage went from 42 miles per gallon on the way up to 35 miles per gallon on the way home - so the wind resistance was a substantial detriment).  Can't wait to get it on the water this weekend!

She dwarfs my little mini, but was locked on tight with two front ties (the kind that fit under the hood), two back ties and two straps over the top.  Rode through some blustery winds at 75mph  on the way home without incident.

5/15/2017 11:07 am  #13

Sweet!

5/15/2017 12:30 pm  #14

17' Swift Prospector in Kevlar Fusion.

5/15/2017 1:39 pm  #15

PaPaddler, I love that photo.  I drove a Subaru impreza until a couple of weeks ago when the transmission decided it no longer cherished life.  There's something fun about driving around with a boat on top of a car so fantastically out of proportion, although I brained myself many times walking around behind the car while looking down.  BAM!  Oh yeah, the canoe is there.  I knocked myself stupid many times, frequently with onlookers, in fact once so hard I hit the dirt.  The canoe Gordie Howe'd me.  Yeah lady, I'm ok. 

5/15/2017 2:33 pm  #16

ATVenture wrote:

17' Swift Prospector in Kevlar Fusion.

That looks like it was taken at MAG access point.

5/15/2017 3:40 pm  #17

Here's mine! It's a Carbon Fiber Wapizagonke from Les Canots Portage.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.