You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2016 11:29 am  #1

Trip next week with some concern. Access point 1 loop via Cedar

Hi guys, 
new to the forum but was told by an outfitter this would be a good place to ask some questions.
I'm planning route in a place that I'm unfamiliar with that leaves mid next week.

Access point 1: Round lake - North Tea - Biggar- LAWREN HARRIS - NIP RIVER- WHISKEY JACK - Burntroot -Catfish - Cedar - Cauchon - CLUB - MOUSE - Erables - Three mile and back. 
* the area in caps is where I'm a little concerned of for water levels, particularly the Laughrin Creek.

Any tips for this trip would be appreciated. 

I know that 2016 has been much warmer than normal and water levels have been low. Anyone recently experience the bug situation? I know that there a lot of small lakes and rivers on this trip so it will be more than on more open waters.
Cheers

8/11/2016 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Trip next week with some concern. Access point 1 loop via Cedar

Your route takes you through three areas where low water levels could be a problem.   There has been a low water advisory on the Amable du Fond between Kawayamog and North Tea for at least two weeks now.  Jeff's map advises that low water levels on Laughrin Creek are common so I'd have to believe it would be especially difficult with this summers drought.    The creek section between Mouse and Erables could also be a problem.   I would suggest a major change to your route.   Start at Kiosk instead of Kawayamog (more driving unfortunately) and do Manitou, Three Mile, Maple, Erables, Skuce, Osler, Nadine, Whiskey Jack, Burntroot, Catfish, Cedar, Cauchon, and Mink.

8/11/2016 1:39 pm  #3

+1 to what yellowcanoe said. Not a great time to be doing creeks.
Regarding your ALL CAPS Loughrin could be a walk but Birchcliffe Creek would be even worse.  The Nip to Whisky Jack shouldn't be a problem. 

8/11/2016 3:55 pm  #4

Thanks for all the help guys! I will definitely speak to my paddling partner about it. 

I called Bill from Northern Wilderness on Kawayamog and he said the low water conditions reported on the Amable du Fond was due to a beaver dam. Apparently the water levels are back to normal now. 

Anyone have experience with the bug situation in this area recently?

8/11/2016 4:19 pm  #5

ewat wrote:

Anyone have experience with the bug situation in this area recently?

My wife and I looped from Kiosk through Manitou, North Tea, Biggar and Three Mile lakes on the August long weekend and there were very few bugs.

When I got home today there was a voice message on our phone from the Sand Lake gate informing me that there is now a fire ban.   We're booked into lake Travers for Friday and Saturday nights.   I checked the park web site but it only says there is an increased forest fire danger. 

8/11/2016 4:43 pm  #6

gotta make $$$$ with camping permit purchases and user fees., after all, it is a short season,, and the lack of info does not surprise me anymore.

8/11/2016 7:53 pm  #7

Check the website again...total fire ban now on in Algonquin Park.

Check out the Barry's Bay newspaper about the campsite evacuations.

Check out the Ontario Interactive Fire Map....APK 020 is still not under control, but seems to be holding at 30.0 ha.

Cause: HUMAN.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/12/2016 1:40 pm  #8

I just got back from a trip, which had me taking the Nipissing from High Falls to Cedar.  The section between High Falls and the Nadine portage has some issues with low water.  I was able to wade those sections, but it could be an issue for a more heavily loaded canoe.  I was going with the current, and the section between the Remona and Nadine portages took me quite a bit longer than I expected.  I took 1:45 (I had expected closer to an hour), so I'd plan on it taking longer if you were going upstream.  There's also one beaver damn you'll need to pull over, and one or two more under construction.

No issues with bugs anywhere on my trip. On some portages a little spray was needed, but never anything more than that.

Nadine is a nice lake to stay on.  I was supposed to spend a night on the Nipissing, but all the camp sites seemed less than ideal (and not very hammock friendly), so I just kept going from Nadine straight through to Cedar.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.