You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2016 2:14 pm  #1

Box Rap. - Dupius Ck, Bonnechere R - New Site?

I was looking on the online reservation site and saw this.  I don't remember seeing it before?

It's not on Jeff's Map either.    Just wondering, that's all!

http://prnt.sc/b97043

5/27/2016 2:31 pm  #2

Re: Box Rap. - Dupius Ck, Bonnechere R - New Site?

Dupuis Creek and Stacks Rapids are downstream of "Crooked Chute" on Jeff's Map. Historically there was a campsite at the junction of Dupuis Creek and the Bonnechere. Maybe they are going to reopen the river. That would be cool!

5/27/2016 3:51 pm  #3

Yea, that's just an old site. Last I looked they still had the ones on Chickaree (off Happy Isle) and Bluebird (near the west gate just S of the highway) as red triangles even though those both haven't been open in years

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

5/27/2016 10:16 pm  #4

The dead giveaway that it's not a currently bookable site is that if you enter a booking date, and mouse over the (red) campsite symbol, it says "unavailable/closed" without giving you the "0/1" ratio.

Same with Mosquito Creek on the Highland trail, as discussed on another thread.

Although Jeff - you have a campsite symbol right on Mosquito Creek just as part of your note about canoe camping on Provoking Lake, which had me confused when I was trying to figure out the meaning of the unbookable backpacking campsite off the backpacking trail on the CAMIS map : )

5/27/2016 11:31 pm  #5

Oo sorry. If it's confusing I can remove it (or maybe change the icon?) I just included that because I wanted to build an association between the text and the fact that it's directly related to the existence of 'extra' campsites that canoeists can use (i.e. that some of the backpacking sites can be used as canoe sites). Like essentially there's nowhere I can point to and explicitly say 'these are the canoeing sites on the lake' but that's basically what the note is trying to do indirectly.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

5/30/2016 6:53 am  #6

DanPM wrote:

The dead giveaway that it's not a currently bookable site is that if you enter a booking date, and mouse over the (red) campsite symbol, it says "unavailable/closed" without giving you the "0/1" ratio.

Same with Mosquito Creek on the Highland trail, as discussed on another thread.

Although Jeff - you have a campsite symbol right on Mosquito Creek just as part of your note about canoe camping on Provoking Lake, which had me confused when I was trying to figure out the meaning of the unbookable backpacking campsite off the backpacking trail on the CAMIS map : )

Yeah I figured it was unbookable.  I just don't remember seeing it on the CAMIS map before.   And when I cross referenced with Jeff's map it wasn't there.

I did do a survey last year with Ontario Parks and one of the questions was if they should add more routes/campsites etc

5/30/2016 7:14 am  #7

jeffreym wrote:

Oo sorry. If it's confusing I can remove it (or maybe change the icon?)

I don't know if it is confusing to anyone who hasn't scoured the CAMIS campsite map and noticed the campsite icon in the exact same location... maybe just me.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.