You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2016 10:09 am  #1

SPOT $ Increase

Just got an email from SPOT saying they are increasing their base plan to $149.99/yr plus a $9.99 annual network maintenance fee.  I'd had been toying switching to an inReach unit because of text capability but, besides initial cost of the unit, it was cheaper annually for me to stay with SPOT based on the plan I looked into for inReach.  Now given the SPOT increase inReach seems more realistic for added feature of text.

I'm sure those of you that already use SPOT will have gotten this email.  For those that are considering either SPOT or inReach this might help sway your decision.

Cheers.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/02/2016 10:59 am  #2

Re: SPOT $ Increase

I am in the same boat as you. I've looked at switching to inReach for the messaging feature. Particularly in bound messages. That way my wife can text me if she hasn't received a scheduled message. Which does happen from time to time. We were in Woodland Caribou last summer and for some weird reason she did not receive a message for 3 days. It was very disconcerting.

I was not aware of the price increase. After reading your message above I called SPOT to cancel. They offered to renew at the same rate I am currently paying ($99). Customer Loyalty and what not. My renewal date is not until May. So this gives me time to consider the options. I will probably stick with SPOT at this price.

3/02/2016 11:34 am  #3

DeLorme/InReach recently got bought out by Garmin. No changes to the InReach plans yet and I'm hoping it stays that way. The flexibility to turn the InReach plan on and off on a monthly basis was a huge reason why we finally bought one last year. 

3/02/2016 11:48 am  #4

For what its worth guys I switched over from a Spot to an Inreach last year. In terms of cost I picked up a used Inreach on kijiji and activated the 100 msg/mth plan and got a lifetime discount using this mail in rebate form.
 http://jeffpelletier.com/delorme-inreach-se-promo-code/

Was accepted no issues.

I think I pay $25/ mth from April to Oct. and Nov to March I suspend service at I think $5/mth.
So $180 or so plus taxes. About double what the Spot service was for me so not insignificant..

IMO it is well worth it though. I could go on about why its better but I'm sure you get the benefits. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/03/2016 2:08 pm  #5

So I literally just got this email from InReach. I smell collusion.. 

-------------------------------------

We want to advise you of important upcoming changes to inReach subscription pricing, effective April 7, 2016.

As a result of sharp declines in the Canadian dollar, there will be a modest increase in the monthly fees associated with all plans. There is no change to allocated usage in each plan or to the cost of suspending service. Here’s more information on the new prices:

Safety $19.95  Discover  $34.95 Trailblazer $54.95 Unlimited  $74.95

You will continue to be able to suspend your service when it isn’t needed, but we’ve introduced a fair use policy: you can downgrade or suspend your plan up to 12 times in a year. All subsequent changes will be subject to a $10 administration fee. Plan upgrades and unsuspensions won’t count towards the allotment.

Thank you for being a loyal user of inReach services. If you have any questions about how these changes affect you, please inreachcare@roadpost.com.

Last edited by ShawnD (3/03/2016 2:13 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/04/2016 10:05 am  #6

ShawnD wrote:

So I literally just got this email from InReach. I smell collusion..

Monkey see, monkey do!
Can't pass up on an opportunity!

Dave

3/04/2016 10:26 am  #7

If you check the exchange rates, then C$ = 0.861 US$ back on Jan. 1/2015 compared to 0.746 US$ today. The updated pricing from InReach is remarkably close to just accounting for the drop in the value of the C$.  

3/06/2016 9:20 pm  #8

I heard Garmin just bought DeLorme. Might be looking to squeeze revenue from it...that said, it is an American system and the dollar accounts for most of this, as RobW has pointed out. I still think the In Reach is a fine device and the ability to put it to sleep for 5 bucks a month is a great selling point.

3/06/2016 10:45 pm  #9

Have only used a spot device during MRX. We get to the park maybe 3 to 4 times a year. I see AO rents spots, 9.98/day or $50 for a full week. Good option for those who aren't able to get out as often as we would like. I think they are great idea for obvious reasons. Problem is if my wife doesn't hear from me for 3 days with out one it's fine. It seems kind of odd that given the extra piece of mind from having one that it's suddenly cause for concern. Funny how we get attached to technology so quick given it barely existed for civilian use 5 years ago. That said I will likely start renting one this season as I'm bringing the kids in too. How long has this actually been around?

3/07/2016 7:49 am  #10

They have been around for 5 years or so now. We don't use outs for daily updates. I did use it to fairly regularly text with Scott last summer since he was out of cell range most of the time. Some of that was just keeping in touch but it also made it a lot easier to arrange pick up plans when he had to come home for something.

The only time I have regularly texted out on a trip was in Massassauga with a couple of newbies we were helping out with a Duke of Edinburgh trip and even then it was because the cell connection was available.

3/07/2016 9:01 am  #11

SPOT has been around for more than five years. I got my first generation in 2007

4/14/2016 11:04 am  #12

My husband got a Spot for Christmas. We're trying to figure out how to take out a second mortgage in order to pay the annual fee for usage ($149.99 USD).

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

5/27/2016 2:19 pm  #13

MartinG wrote:

I was not aware of the price increase. After reading your message above I called SPOT to cancel. They offered to renew at the same rate I am currently paying ($99). Customer Loyalty and what not. My renewal date is not until May. So this gives me time to consider the options. I will probably stick with SPOT at this price.

So after calling to cancel I DID renew my membership at the discounted rate of $99. I also discovered they have included "Basic Tracking" on my device membership. Which I didn't previously have. It used to be called "Tracking" and was a $50 up charge. I did some digging around on the SPOT site. Turns out there is no longer an option to add "Tracking" on my SPOT Gen 2. It's now called "Basic Tracking" and it's included as a basic service. If you are in a similar situation take a look at your account. You may find you now have tracking.  Bonus!

5/28/2016 8:12 pm  #14

Another option is a PLB. No fees, buy it once and your good to go. More powerful than a satellite messenger, And don't need to charge it or change batteries.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.