You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2024 1:54 pm  #18

Re: Winter camping rules

To be honest I did not look at the Stihl.  Not sure why really...looks like a nice little saw as well!  A tad heavier than the Echo but not by much.

This was about 15 minutes worth of work.  The best part is that each cut is nice and square/level so splitting them is super easy as they all stand up nicely   And yes...I know the bar is upside down lol

Last edited by Steve E (2/09/2024 1:54 pm)

2/09/2024 2:11 pm  #19

Sick. Nothing better than a small gas saw to free up more time to fish or simply relax. Good job, Steve

2/10/2024 7:56 am  #20

K. wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Thanks all. Why the rule against camping close to the shoreline or on existing sites? Is it to allow regeneration?

It's simple really- what was explained to me was that there are 3 main reasons- 1) to prevent charcoal and unburned wood from being left all over summer sites because people couldn't find the existing pit under the often 1+ m of snow, 2) to prevent paper flowers (and worse) being left for the same reason, and most importantly 3) summer sites being completely denuded of both live and dead standing trees by winter campers that aren't always 100% sure that the tree is actually dead.
By forcing people to stay off the summer sites, trails and shorelines, they not only prevent heavy impact on those areas, they also disperse any impact more evenly across the forest floor away from summer corridors and where the environment is more able to recover

Last edited by scoutergriz (2/10/2024 7:57 am)

10/06/2024 6:57 am  #21

So I pulled the trigger on the Stihl MS 194 T Aborist, I mentioned earlier in this thread, for this winter in Algonquin. Super easy to use and manage with one hand if necessary. It weighs about 7lbs, but really doesn't feel like it. I think I'll install the bar upside down too and start a trend

https://www.riversideequipment.ca/inventory/stihl-ms-194-t-maugerville-nb-e3a-8g2-12652131i

10/06/2024 7:09 pm  #22

Swift Fifteen wrote:

So I pulled the trigger on the Stihl MS 194 T Aborist, I mentioned earlier in this thread, for this winter in Algonquin. Super easy to use and manage with one hand if necessary. It weighs about 7lbs, but really doesn't feel like it. I think I'll install the bar upside down too and start a trend

https://www.riversideequipment.ca/inventory/stihl-ms-194-t-maugerville-nb-e3a-8g2-12652131i

Glad to hear you're having good luck with your Stihl. I had been a loyal Stihl owner for about 15 years. But now my Stihl chainsaw tends to either cooperate or jam up and try to rip my arm off when I try to start it (it doesn't have many hours on it and I clean it religiously). My most recent Stihl purchase (a gas trimmer) has been a supreme exercise in frustration - it randomly bogs down and cuts out on me certain times that I use it. I have brought it back three times and told 'it's good now, nothing wrong with it', only to have it repeat the same thing. I have emailed Stihl about the issue but they did not respond. Zero customer service. Based on what I've heard from others, I am now going to switch to Echo (or maybe Husq). Sorry to be a downer, I'm just really upset with having spent $600 on something that runs worse than a $150 unit. Never again.

Last edited by hiker72 (10/06/2024 7:19 pm)

10/14/2024 7:29 am  #23

hiker72 wrote:

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Glad to hear you're having good luck with your Stihl. I had been a loyal Stihl owner for about 15 years. But now my Stihl chainsaw tends to either cooperate or jam up and try to rip my arm off when I try to start it (it doesn't have many hours on it and I clean it religiously). My most recent Stihl purchase (a gas trimmer) has been a supreme exercise in frustration - it randomly bogs down and cuts out on me certain times that I use it. I have brought it back three times and told 'it's good now, nothing wrong with it', only to have it repeat the same thing. I have emailed Stihl about the issue but they did not respond. Zero customer service. Based on what I've heard from others, I am now going to switch to Echo (or maybe Husq). Sorry to be a downer, I'm just really upset with having spent $600 on something that runs worse than a $150 unit. Never again.

Strange indeed.  I've never had an issue with Stihl, touch wood (see what I did there ;)  Not sure which model you're referring to either, but my last three Stihl saws have performed flawlessly.  Mine you, I don't cut cords of wood. Only used for winter camping and occasionally in the shoulder seasons, particularly in the fall when deer hunting during the rifle season. Those Echos look pretty sweet though, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose. Good luck

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.