You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2024 1:54 pm  #18

Re: Winter camping rules

To be honest I did not look at the Stihl.  Not sure why really...looks like a nice little saw as well!  A tad heavier than the Echo but not by much.

This was about 15 minutes worth of work.  The best part is that each cut is nice and square/level so splitting them is super easy as they all stand up nicely   And yes...I know the bar is upside down lol

Last edited by Steve E (2/09/2024 1:54 pm)

2/09/2024 2:11 pm  #19

Sick. Nothing better than a small gas saw to free up more time to fish or simply relax. Good job, Steve

2/10/2024 7:56 am  #20

K. wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Thanks all. Why the rule against camping close to the shoreline or on existing sites? Is it to allow regeneration?

It's simple really- what was explained to me was that there are 3 main reasons- 1) to prevent charcoal and unburned wood from being left all over summer sites because people couldn't find the existing pit under the often 1+ m of snow, 2) to prevent paper flowers (and worse) being left for the same reason, and most importantly 3) summer sites being completely denuded of both live and dead standing trees by winter campers that aren't always 100% sure that the tree is actually dead.
By forcing people to stay off the summer sites, trails and shorelines, they not only prevent heavy impact on those areas, they also disperse any impact more evenly across the forest floor away from summer corridors and where the environment is more able to recover

Last edited by scoutergriz (2/10/2024 7:57 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.