You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2024 2:18 pm  #1

Make your own instant coffee

So I just finished an experiment I thought I would share as I found it very interesting.

Issue: I’m a coffee snob and I take a little cream.  Need a higher quality option that is lightweight.

Solution: Make my own instant coffee from higher quality beans with cream already added.

Step 1: Make a full pot of coffee and add cream to taste.

Step 2: Pour on to trays and freeze ( freezing speeds up the process)

Step 3: Remove frozen coffee and add to freeze dryer

Step 4 : Finished product. Put in a bag and smash it up.

Step 5: Add hot water and see what we have.

Result : It’s pretty darn good. Happy with it.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/01/2024 4:26 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/01/2024 5:10 pm  #2

Re: Make your own instant coffee

That's a great idea.  Now all I have to do is spend $3,500 on a freeze dryer. I'm glad I'm ok with instant Nestle packets

5/02/2024 6:54 am  #3

What's wrong with french press or drip coffee?  I consider myself a coffee snob too (I have a Breville Barista Express espresso machine at home and get rave reviews on my bean blends, lattes, espressos, etc.) but when I camp I typically use a press, sometimes use the dehydrated starbucks packets or make a cowboy coffee. Is it the milk that you prefer which drives this choice?

Kudos to you to find a way to get a good blend; it does seem to be a rather top-heavy process equipment, energy and time-wise.  If it tastes the same as your 'at home' version, then that's a positive!

5/02/2024 8:24 am  #4

Well in my opinion all instant coffee is not very good and I have tried a lot of them. I used to bring other brew methods with me..pour over setups,mini grinders,percolators etc. but I’m done with all that.
Really trying to keep things as light as possible now. Getting older.

Really was not a big lift. I already owned all the equipment. Maybe 10-15 mins of total work time for me.

Coffee is my second biggest hobby behind backcountry tripping.
I own everything from vacuum pots to dual boiler espresso machines.
I roast my own beans as well.

Goal was really to see if I could replicate a decent cup of coffee for backcountry enjoyment. Understand this is likely overkill for 99% of ppl. It isn’t exact but it’s pretty good. I think i can further improve it with a few tweaks. I will probably try espresso shots next.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/02/2024 8:34 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

5/02/2024 10:23 am  #5

brilliant idea,, looks very good,, 
    try to add Baileys to the equation,,

5/02/2024 12:13 pm  #6

I would like to order some coffee please Mr. Davis.

5/02/2024 12:50 pm  #7

Oh Swede if only booze were able to be freeze dried. Nirvana would be on the horizon.

Martin. Please specify coffee origin of preference and allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. lol.

5/03/2024 6:59 am  #8

Agreed that most of the instant coffees are just meh.  Although I do find the starbucks italian roast packet (8cm X 1cm sized) do make a 'good enough' coffee for me when hunting or tripping.  If you're roasting your own beans you've reached the ultra-advanced coffee level and are just mocking the rest of us with your wizardry and photos.  ;-)

5/03/2024 10:03 am  #9

ShawnD wrote:

Oh Swede if only booze were able to be freeze dried. Nirvana would be on the horizon..

This comment was interesting to me as I know nothing about freeze drying. I guess the alcohol content messes with the freeze drying process because of its different freezing point? Would any amount added in screw the process up or would there be a baseline ratio that would work?

5/03/2024 11:03 am  #10

Alcohol has a higher vapour pressure than water so that it will be "dried" before the water is.  I don't see how this basic physical characteristic can be overcome.

5/03/2024 11:10 am  #11

Hey AL

So maybe if you worked at NASA you could freeze dry some nice Rye whiskey but it is near impossible for the average joe.
From what I understand it would need to be cooled to an extreme temperature as part of the process to around -170C I think in order to freeze dry alcohol. Not a temperature any unit a normal person could buy can get anywhere close to that.

This guy who is a big freeze dying guy on YouTube actually tried it.

Didn’t go very well.

https://youtu.be/Qk_p575kgfo?si=lkUn5ejYQa_rFlcO

Other things that don’t work…essentially freeze dryers work by extracting water. It does leave behind oil though so oily foods don’t do well. So some other foods you won’t find freeze dried versions of include: peanut butter, pure chocolate, butter

Last edited by ShawnD (5/03/2024 11:37 am)

5/03/2024 1:29 pm  #12

ShawnD wrote:

Hey AL

Other things that don’t work…essentially freeze dryers work by extracting water. It does leave behind oil though so oily foods don’t do well. So some other foods you won’t find freeze dried versions of include: peanut butter, pure chocolate, butter

But that brings up an issue with your freeze dried coffee, which will contain small amounts of butterfat.  That won't freeze dry.  It's probably fine in the short run but may go off if stored long term in the presence of air.

5/03/2024 1:57 pm  #13

Likely right Bob. I won’t do large batches and I vacuum seal everything I make and add oxygen absorbers.  For sure not gonna get 25 yrs like you can on other foods.

5/03/2024 3:44 pm  #14

ShawnD wrote:

Likely right Bob. I won’t do large batches and I vacuum seal everything I make and add oxygen absorbers.  For sure not gonna get 25 yrs like you can on other foods.

25 years! That’s crazy. Also, I originally read it as 25 hrs, which would slightly change the utility of the whole process.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.