You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2024 12:27 pm  #1

Poor Experience with Ontario Parks

So i had not initially noticed that Access Point 3 was closed.  I saw that backcountry bookings were open.  So i booked my route starting at Access Point 3 on line.  I called today as it is still closed.  First they tell me yes, it is still closed but we cannot give you a refund for the cancellation fee.  So i asked if i am allowed to go then?  they said not it is closed.  So your system allows for the booking to happen at a closed access but your system does not allow you to give me the fee back?  That is correct.  

I am then told i can email back when the cancelation occurs for a refund.  I respond to the email and of course it is undeliverable.  I call back.  I ask for the email where i can ask for refund.  They direct me to the form, which I have to print and mail in.  This is such a poor experience.  almost feels like a scam.  

4/23/2024 12:49 pm  #2

Re: Poor Experience with Ontario Parks

Until access point offices are open, the booking fee of $9+ will always be charged. 

Why book when Algonquin Park page says Access #3 is not open.  I have learned over the.years that Ontario Parks personnel don't know Algonquin Park.

I always book online and have never had any problem.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/23/2024 1:42 pm  #3

Replied to your other post, no, I could not find anything on the Park's website saying that any backcountry accesses are still closed as of this date.
So I would definitely be surprised that you can't reserve for an access point if it's not "open".
Surprised that there isn't a definite, clearly stated update on the Park's site.
I would contact the Park itself, not the reservation service to get this cleared up.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/23/2024 1:49 pm  #4

Yeah I just noticed no mention of road closures, etc. on Algonquin Park home page. I had different info from outfitters I know in that area and was told Access #3 was still closed.

Also, for refunds, it is for me always by a cheque.  The booking fee is a nuisance but hopefully it goes to a good cause like FOAP, etc.

Last edited by boknows (4/23/2024 1:50 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/23/2024 3:01 pm  #5

Did you ask to change your access point?  I imagine that would be the easiest course of action if you still want to continue with your trip plans.  ONparks is brutal sometimes, I feel your pain.

4/23/2024 6:13 pm  #6

Hey Bo,

When I heard it was open I went online to book. I did not hear that certain access points were still closed. So I booked on April 12 when they ice out officially called.

That said, I can understand d that the booking system is not integrated. But when they confirmed that it is still currently closed I do not understand why they cannot do the refund.

Then I am told I can email, which you cannot.  It is only 8 bucks or so but just silly. I cannot go but I cannot get a refund.  A little silly.

As for open or closed, the last bulletin of April 12 seems to still be standing. They have not made updates since then stati g they opened. So I would double check before you go just in case.

Last edited by AlgonquinAP (4/23/2024 6:16 pm)

4/27/2024 9:37 am  #7

I am a little late to the party here, but when I booked my trip I first checked the park advisories to ensure my access point was open.  No info there about closures at all, had to hunt around for that info.  I was a bit surprised by that.

4/27/2024 10:04 am  #8

Stay an extra day, problem solved.  I'm a problem solver

4/29/2024 1:02 pm  #9

it is a bit odd that the advisory of April 12th is up there and not update about opening since then.  I even called the Kearny office and left a message.  Never got a call back.  i "assume" it is open by now.  

5/02/2024 10:20 am  #10

call your m.p.p. office and complain ,, lay it on thick

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.