You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2024 12:10 pm  #1

Day-trip to Pogonia, Clover and Basin

1/19/2024 12:19 pm  #2

Re: Day-trip to Pogonia, Clover and Basin

What an awesome trip. I’d never even thought of something like this, but such a cool way to see that part of the Park. I loved that site on Clover (if you’re on the one I’m thinking you were on), what a great spot for a lunch break. Thanks for sharing.

1/19/2024 12:26 pm  #3

Thanks... I noticed the fellow who has created the "All of Algonquin" website has some great summertime photos of that campsite on Clover. https://allofalgonquin.com/campsite-reviews/clover-lake-site-1/

1/19/2024 12:52 pm  #4

What a great trip! I find it amazing that you were able to do that in one long day. Very impressive.

Did you consider travelling the old road along the east side of Basin? I know of a couple of people who have used that to get to Clover and Guthrie. Once you get north east of Basin the road/trail gets lost. There is a mess of wetland and a steep hill to get past. I have not gone further than this. From Sat imagery it looks like any trails beyond the hill have been obliterated by logging. 

Just interested if you have any more info on how this route might join up to the path you took that goes north and west of Basin.

1/19/2024 1:13 pm  #5

Hello Martin - yes, my brother and I have used that trail on the east side of Basin Lk. In 2021 to hike over to Clover Lk and in 2022 we used that route again to walk in to Guthrie Lk and Turcotte Lk. The first time I used that route was in 1974 at which time the trail was in good shape. But that was 40 years ago and, as you say, there is no longer any real trail after you hit the marsh above Basin Lk. After some searching though we were able to find signs of the old trail and combined with some bushwhacking were able to make our way. You eventually hit a logging road running east-west that does go in the direction of Clover Lk. but it turns south and ends quite some distance from Clover. Another logging road goes north for some distance in the direction of Guthrie.

1/21/2024 8:14 pm  #6

Trail wrote:

Thanks... I noticed the fellow who has created the "All of Algonquin" website has some great summertime photos of that campsite on Clover. https://allofalgonquin.com/campsite-reviews/clover-lake-site-1/

Oh, yeah, that guy's the best. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.