You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2023 7:02 am  #1

Operating Dates vs. Reservable Dates

The reservations website states that backcountry paddling operates year-round, but the last reservable date is for October 28, 2023. 

If the forecast is favourable in the first week of November, how would I obtain a permit for backcountry paddling? Thank you for any information.

9/07/2023 8:45 am  #2

Re: Operating Dates vs. Reservable Dates

Hmmm, I was going to say "just show up" but then I remembered that you don't need to check in anymore. For a November trip I think you will still need to walk into an office, which quite possibly means the east or west gate. 

9/07/2023 11:34 am  #3

Last few years i've either showed up at the East gate or phoned my permit into the east gate while driving to the park. Sand Lake gate has a self service Kiosk (or used to).

9/08/2023 11:53 am  #4

Thank you both for the information. I was at the Sand Lake gate earlier this year, but didn't use (or look for) the self serve kiosk, so I'm not sure if it is still in use.

Can you also confirm when the "winter backcountry camping" rules go into effect (i.e., when I can't camp on a summer paddling campsite?)

9/08/2023 9:28 pm  #5

From O. Reg. 347/07: PROVINCIAL PARKS: GENERAL PROVISIONS:

“Between December 1 and March 31, no person shall camp within 30 metres of the nearest portage or shoreline,

(a) in an area operated for interior camping in Algonquin Provincial Park”

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

9/09/2023 3:47 pm  #6

Hmmm I had the pleasure of going out Nov 4 to 6th last year.. just check my reservation history.. I made the reservation online. Is it different this year

9/10/2023 7:33 am  #7

jeffreym wrote:

From O. Reg. 347/07: PROVINCIAL PARKS: GENERAL PROVISIONS:

“Between December 1 and March 31, no person shall camp within 30 metres of the nearest portage or shoreline,

(a) in an area operated for interior camping in Algonquin Provincial Park”

Thanks, Jeff.

9/16/2023 4:45 pm  #8

Just a heads up, those dates are not written in stone.
A few years ago mid November I called the park on A Thursday to make sure they were still issuing canoe in permits and was told at that time yes but call back closer to my trip to make sure.
Called the following morning (Friday) and was told no interior permits were being issued and no, they would not issue a winter permit.
Something about some of the smaller lakes bays iced up overnight.

9/18/2023 6:47 pm  #9

Thanks for the heads up.

9/18/2023 10:48 pm  #10

They aren't obligated to issue permits on any particular date (just like they frequently don't issue permits for a few weeks in the spring), but between those dates if you are issued a permit you're required to camp away from designated campsites.

The nice thing is that opens up all sorts of additional locations to camp that you couldn't otherwise use =)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

9/19/2023 5:08 am  #11

jeffreym wrote:

They aren't obligated to issue permits on any particular date (just like they frequently don't issue permits for a few weeks in the spring), but between those dates if you are issued a permit you're required to camp away from designated campsites.

The nice thing is that opens up all sorts of additional locations to camp that you couldn't otherwise use =)

Can you give me a couple of examples of locations that would be worthwhile checking out on a late fall canoe trip? Thanks.

9/19/2023 8:09 am  #12

south of smoke lake

9/19/2023 9:14 am  #13

You mean on the southern shore of Smoke? Aren't there several cabins there? 

10/25/2023 5:01 am  #14

I will also be booking holidays for a first week of November trip and will be nowhere near either gate..
2 weekends ago we were booked for sunday lake sat night, we arrived to the campsite on the island to find a tarp setup even though there was no other bookings on the lake. I tried to call the east and west gate 20+ times and couldn't get through... I even called AO to confirm I had the right phone numbers... I would say its safe to say when I go for my trip and they are not answering the phone the permit will be free and I will leave a note on my dash.

10/25/2023 9:04 am  #15

Bampot wrote:

The suggestion was "south of Smoke Lake" which would mean Ragged Lake, Parkside Bay, Big Porcupine, etc. 

10/25/2023 9:16 am  #16

RobW wrote:

Bampot wrote:

The suggestion was "south of Smoke Lake" which would mean Ragged Lake, Parkside Bay, Big Porcupine, etc. 

Technically the southern shore is also south of Smoke Lake, which is why I was seeking clarification.

Can you clarify which areas specifically in the area of Ragged, Parkside, Bay, and Big Porcupine are worth camping at between Dec 1 and Mar 31? Thanks.

10/25/2023 12:00 pm  #17

Bampot wrote:

Can you clarify which areas specifically in the area of Ragged, Parkside, Bay, and Big Porcupine are worth camping at between Dec 1 and Mar 31? Thanks.

All of them depending on how far you want to go. What you are looking for, skill levels, experience etcetera.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.