You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2023 8:31 am  #1

Sept Solo to Burntroot

Planning my longest solo into the park. 8 or 9 days. Mid September.
Canoe – Little Otterslide (night 1). – Big Trout (2) - Burntroot (3,4,5) – Trout (6) McIntosh (7,8) – Canoe (out)
Open to modifications / suggestions /  guidance on things not to miss etc

For Burntroot, plan on exploring and fishing Perley, Robinson, maybe WhiskeyJack. For the 3 night stay -  Burntroot or Redpine?  I have read good things about both.  Advantages? Weather? Shelter?
I could cut 1 day off Burntroot/ Redpine if better elsewhere
thanks in advance

8/24/2023 9:40 am  #2

Re: Sept Solo to Burntroot

Beautiful trip ahead of you.  I love the route, days and destinations - I think you'll get a great feel for the lakes and rivers with the schedule you've outlined.

Both the lakes and the rivers can be productive.  I've camped on Burntroot, Red Pine and in the narrows between; the narrows have limited views but do guarantee access regardless of weather.  Red Pine has a cozier feel and is generally better protected than the big lake, but you're a good distance from those northern destinations like Robinson so I'd probably lean towards camping on Burntroot Lake if the conditions are amenable.

Typical stuff to see includes the Barnet Depot, Anchor Island and the root cellar near Portal Rapids.  I really enjoyed the pool below the 40m portage above Red Pine - dark, deep swirls of tannin-stained water reflecting the confiers surrounding it.  Hopefully you'll get some clear mornings/evenings to see some great dawn and dusk colors as well.  Perfect time of year to paddle...cool nights and comfortable days with relatively low threat of severe weather.  Keep an eye/ear out for bull moose...they can be a bit erratic with the rut!

Robinson and Whiskey Jack felt like we were very deep into the interior and, as beautiful as Burntroot is, they were both breathtaking as well.

8/24/2023 9:58 am  #3

I would also agree, a great trip ahead of you.  I don't remember Little Otterslide very well anymore as last time I stayed there was 2014, but I do remember having the lake to myself which I enjoyed.
Burntroot is one of my fav's.  Was there last fall, and will be there again later September.  I would echo the previous comments, check out.  Barnet Depot, Anchor Island, and the root cellar (PCI campsite #2)  For me my times on Burntroot as a soloist always brought a great deal of solitude.   While I saw other canoeists on the portages, I found the campsites I stayed at fairly spread out so I always had the feeling of being alone.
Lots of very nice campsites on Big Trout and McIntosh I've stayed at both.  
Hope you have a wonderful trip!

8/24/2023 1:05 pm  #4

Jealous.

Very jealous.

Take care coming out of the Otterslides, I've often seen soloists bobbing around trying to get out of that bay as the prevailing winds usually blow right down there.

Other than that, everyone's suggestions are spot on.  Depending on your needs, I liked PCI site #9 on Little Otterslide as a supremely protected site with lots of firewood on-site.  Not much to look at but it's out of every breath of wind.
Same goes for site #24 on Big trout.  Nice, pretty, stuff to explore, out of the wind and waves.  
There's no bad sites on McIntosh.

God, I want to go on that trip.  But my wife is very pregnant with my 2nd kid/future-portage-mule and would kill me in very public and celebrated manner if I went out of cell range.  Maybe if I tell her I'll take the 3yr old...

8/24/2023 2:28 pm  #5

IanTendy wrote:

Jealous.

God, I want to go on that trip.  But my wife is very pregnant with my 2nd kid/future-portage-mule and would kill me in very public and celebrated manner if I went out of cell range.  Maybe if I tell her I'll take the 3yr old...

Sometimes it might seem a bit like you are suffering right now. But relish it. These days will be gone in a blink of an eye.

8/24/2023 3:38 pm  #6

I've done this route a few times in mid-September with detailed trip reports you can check out:

https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/trip-of-six-islands/

https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/8-days-solo-in-september/

The one titled "Trip of Six Islands" is probably my favourite canoe trip I've ever done.

What is "Trout" on Night 6? Big Trout or White Trout?

Personally I would do 3 nights on Big Trout instead of Burntroot; they're both beautiful lakes but something about Big Trout feels a bit more special to me.

Canoe > Little Otterslide > Big Trout > Burntroot x2 > Big Trout x2 > McIntosh x2.

Or... Canoe > Little Otterslide > Big Trout x2 > Burntroot x2 > White Trout > McIntosh x2

The northern island campsite on Red Pine Bay is one of my favourites in the park but its completely exposed so it's only good if you have good weather, otherwise it would be very non-ideal. If you have good weather, and if you can get that site, it would be worth it... but both of those are big toss ups so I'd probably play it safe and stick with either Burntroot or Big Trout instead.

I'd recommend getting on the water very early on your day to McIntosh, paddling through Grassy Bay during the early morning is very beautiful.

Watch out for the poison ivy on the 40m towards Red Pine Bay. There's lots of it and it overhangs onto the trail. I'd recommend wearing long shirt and pants even if it's hot out and then taking carefully taking them off after the portage is finished.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/24/2023 3:41 pm  #7

MartinG wrote:

IanTendy wrote:

Jealous.

Sometimes it might seem a bit like you are suffering right now. But relish it. These days will be gone in a blink of an eye.

Welll... my youngest is off to Univ in 10 days.. no commits at home. Seemed like a good excuse to plan this trip. Yes, enjoy the young years. Time does fly by.

8/24/2023 9:39 pm  #8

thanks to all for the comments, suggestions, cautions, and excitement!!

Yes, @Cody 'Trout' was meant to be White Trout on the way to McIntosh

9/13/2023 8:06 pm  #9

Did a variation of this trip 3-4 years ago. It was amazing but was cut short. I've heard good things about fishing up along big/white trout and burntroot.
Tight lines! Let's us know how it goes!

9/13/2023 8:12 pm  #10

AlgonquinLongTripper wrote:

Did a variation of this trip 3-4 years ago. It was amazing but was cut short. I've heard good things about fishing up along big/white trout and burntroot.
Tight lines! Let's us know how it goes!

Heading in Friday. will see if a novice fisherman can land a few, so thanks for encouragement!.. yes, will report back with some details after next weekend. Let the adventure begin!

9/16/2023 10:47 am  #11

I have canoed for decades in Algonquin Provicial Park, solo, tandem, group ... recently back from the Pettawa River a few weeks ago.

Re Burntroot Lake ... I did a solo similar route in 2018, loved it, top drawer, would definitely do it again. Excellent conditions, mostly sunny, 25c to 10c, little rain, calm for the most part wind and water, 65 km of paddling, 8 portages the longest being 2.3 kms, fall colours 5 to 10%. Solo, with my 28 #, Kevlar, 13' pack canoe, 2008, Langford Canoe, Solitude, made 2001 to 2010, primarily sold in USA, 7 day, spectacular, interior canoe trip in Algonquin Provincial Park, Saturday, September 15 to Friday, September 21, 2018. 

https://algonquinbeyond.com/algonquin-map/ 

Day 1 Access Point 11 Algonquin Outfitters Lake Opeongo wooden water taxi 16 km with four others plus driver Jimmy to North Arm Lake Opeongo at Hailstorm Bay 2,235 km portage to Happy Isle Lake far north east campsite.  I was planning to paddle Lake Opeongo north, however, shortly after arriving I was approached by the water taxi to join others for $20 plus a generous tip, glad I did. Note, always book the water taxi in advance, read why at the end of this post.  

Day 2 Happy Isle Lake to Merchant Lake to Big Trout Lake island campsite point facing west to White Trout "The Narrows", same site where my son and I camped 10 years earlier, nice to see our names engraved in the log bench.  I was last on this site with my son, via Access Point 3, while out for a tandem 10 day canoe trip mid to late July, 2008, great fun.

Day 3  Big Trout Lake to Longer Lake to Red Pine Bay to Burntroot Lake to base camp for two nights at campsite on a point facing west across from a large island. 

Day 4 Burntroot Lake to Robinson Lake to Whiskey Jack Lake and return to basecamp on Burntroot Lake. 

Day 5  Burntroot Lake basecamp to Anchor Island to Barnet Depot Farm Remnants to Red Pine Bay to Longer Lake to Big Trout Lake to an eastern island campsite before wetlands access to Merchant Lake. 

Day 6  Big Trout Lake to Merchant Lake to Happy Isle Lake campsite on Happy Island western point. 

Day 7 Happy Isle Lake to Hailstorm Bay North Arm Opeongo Lake to put out via water taxi at Access Point 11 Opeongo Outfitters. When I arrived at the dock at the end of the 2,235 metre portage from Happy Isle Lake I was prepared to wait for a 16 km water taxi to arrive that day or next which may have resulted in camping overnight during peak tornado Ottawa which was causing trees to crash very close proximity to where I was on the dock.  

Fortunately, the aluminum water taxi arrived late in the afternoon dropping off inbound canoe trippers.  The weather was rain, cold, windy and high waves.  Ride back for $100 as I did not have a reservation and was solo, yet the taxi that was going back to base with or without me.  Regardless, all good, it was one heck of a thrill ride in the storm. The driver Vincent was fantastic. Call ahead for current rates. 

As of 9.16.23 the rate is minimum $99, 2 is $50 each, 4 people × 33 = $132, + tax and optional tip.  Still a great deal imho.  Opeongo Outfitters will try to pair up trippers with others to save on cost. Nice folk they are imho.  https://www.opeongooutfitters.com/taxi.html

Next up local river 15 km solo canoe poling 9.17.23, then if all goes as planned Crown Land Temagami area solo canoe trip 9.23.23 for a few days, this time in my restored 1960's wood canvassed covered Huron canoe upwards of 100 km in and out, no portages, just lakes and rivers. 

Last edited by Tripper_Scott (9/16/2023 11:00 am)

9/25/2023 8:08 am  #12

Trip complete and successful! What a great week to be in the park. 5 glorious Sept. days with 2 crappy rain/ wind days (both on Burntroot which was unfortunate).
Covered the same route described , with 1 night skipped on Burntroot ( miserable weather) , and 1 night skipped on McIntosh (body needed to get home).
For a guy that does very little 51 weeks / yr. It was definitely an adventure and accomplishment for me. Route was 92km paddle + 25km portages (double). Figured with sightseeing, evening paddles and fishing, 100km on the water.
Turns out I like to paddle more than I like rest days!!
I heard 1 moose on McIntosh, otherwise NO signs of moose. Others I met on the trails has similar experiences.
Couple hrs of fishing on Longer and McIntosh did not catch me dinner.

Details via trip report sometime soon.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.