You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2023 10:08 am  #1

Barron River / Cork / St Andrew's / High Falls

I just returned from a short trip - my first in this area of the Park. I had read here a couple people stating that Cork was one of their favourite lakes in Algonquin.

I have to say that I was very underwhelmed about this area overall. Other than a couple of mediocre campsites we passed on Opalescent, all of the other campsites we stayed at or passed along the way were poor to very poor (including both sites on Cork). 

It is the only area of the park I have visited for which I have no desire to return. What am I missing?

6/15/2023 11:40 am  #2

Re: Barron River / Cork / St Andrew's / High Falls

I have no idea what you are missing.  I thought Cork Lake was beautiful with its waters teeming with bass, a spectacular shear cliff of granite rising out of its clear waters, a beautiful overwater view of the sunset, an elevated campsite with a natural granite blocked/tiered wading swimming area, a neighboring cozy campsite with ample conifer protection, a protected shallow bog with a distinct microenvironment tucked into its upper reaches, and ample forest to the north and east to walk and explore.

Maybe you like different things than those.

6/15/2023 12:05 pm  #3

I really liked Cork’s vibe when I was there. That rock wall PaPaddler mentioned stands out as being pretty unique in my memory and I really liked the southern site for its series of jumping ledges and views. Don’t know that I’d say Cork is one of my favorite lakes in the Park, but I did like it a lot.

6/15/2023 5:09 pm  #4

While I wouldn't specifically call Cork a favourite lake, it is a Gem. And it does give you more seclusion that most other lakes and river sites in the area. The area is one of the best parts of the park! There are about a thousand things to see and do along the Barron River watershed. That along with lower Pet are one of the few parts of the park I have chosen to return to again and again. 

Last edited by MartinG (6/15/2023 6:03 pm)

6/16/2023 8:38 am  #5

I would agree with you. I think the barron canyon is better hiked than paddled. Too many people and terrible fishing in that area. I do not enjoy fishing for bass. I would way rather catch trout, salmon, walleye, pike, muskie, crappie, perch, bluegill, mooneye, cisco, silver bass, white bass, white perch, whitefish, channel catfish, brown bullhead, longnose gar, freshwater drum, burbot and chain pickerel over wormy POS smallmouth bass. 

7/20/2023 2:05 pm  #6

PaPaddler wrote:

I have no idea what you are missing.  I thought Cork Lake was beautiful with its waters teeming with bass, a spectacular shear cliff of granite rising out of its clear waters, a beautiful overwater view of the sunset, an elevated campsite with a natural granite blocked/tiered wading swimming area, a neighboring cozy campsite with ample conifer protection, a protected shallow bog with a distinct microenvironment tucked into its upper reaches, and ample forest to the north and east to walk and explore.

Maybe you like different things than those.

Passive aggressive..lolol

7/21/2023 6:39 am  #7

@swift, yes, to a degree.  But I've been focusing more on the positive in life and in people lately.  Even those who are naïve, as we all once were, to give the benefit of the doubt with the knowledge that their perspective either has not yet developed or they may have been raised in a critical situation where they have been taught to find the fault and disappointment.  

I could have noted the mosquitos, the rain, the erosion around the site, the bogus grill, etc. but at the end of the day, if we focus on the positive aspects of our experience and the people around us, our experience becomes far more positive and fulfilling.  To coin a phrase, it's just my opinion!

7/21/2023 7:13 am  #8

PaPaddler wrote:

@swift, yes, to a degree.  But I've been focusing more on the positive in life and in people lately.  Even those who are naïve, as we all once were, to give the benefit of the doubt with the knowledge that their perspective either has not yet developed or they may have been raised in a critical situation where they have been taught to find the fault and disappointment.  

I could have noted the mosquitos, the rain, the erosion around the site, the bogus grill, etc. but at the end of the day, if we focus on the positive aspects of our experience and the people around us, our experience becomes far more positive and fulfilling.  To coin a phrase, it's just my opinion!

It is bizarre and unnecessary to call me "naïve" for asking what people prefer about this section of the park. I found the scenery to be less spectacular and the variety to be lacking here compared to every other area I have visited. The lack of hardwoods also makes it more difficult to find suitable tree branches to hang food and even less appealing in the fall.

7/21/2023 7:25 pm  #9

PaPaddler wrote:

I feel your pain, brother, I'm trying real hard too.  Some days I feel like Jules from Pulp Fiction trying to figure out who the righteous man is. If you ever get that part straightened out, hit me up

7/24/2023 6:55 am  #10

@Bampot - I didn't call you naïve, I referred to 'those who are naïve' which I understand could be misinterpreted as directly applying to you but you were NOT personally identified.  If I had singled you out individually, I would not consider it 'bizarre and unnecessary' since you identified it was your first experience in that part of the park.  A 'first-timer', 'neophyte', 'newbie', 'naïve', or 'ignorant' would all be potentially accurate descriptions of someone who doesn't have experience in an activity, subject or area.  

We all don't have to like the same things and that's perfectly OK.  For instance, I happen to like a mature White Pine for hanging our food bag; I find their large, horizontal lower branches are easy targets for my hanging pulley rope.  If you prefer a big Oak, great!  The matter I find challenging is that you presented a negative proposition, which I answered your question of "what am I missing" with a half-dozen or so positive aspects I've experienced from multiple trips in that region and nights spent on Cork Lake specifically...but you object to the manner in which it was served.  It was, admittedly, passive aggressive in response to the negative proposition. I am sorry if I offended you, but I find that part of the park, like every other square meter I have experienced since my first visit in the 1970's, to be beautiful, diverse, unique and fulfilling. 

It's unfortunate that you came away with a different experience from your trip.  Perhaps if you visited at a different time of year (early June insects can make the most popular and beautiful Algonquin destination challenging to enjoy) or spent more time exploring the area (we typically do week-long trips since we have to drive 9 or 10 hours to get to the park) or experienced it with a different group of people, you might come away with a different point of view.  On the flip side, you could look at it as a blessing that you don't have to visit again...you've checked that box, didn't find it as your cup of tea, and can stick to the region of Algonquin you prefer and enjoy.

Regardless, if you have serious concerns or criticisms of forum postings, I recommend you contact the forum moderators - the 'forum terms of service' specifically states they not be posted in the forum since they can create antagonism and provocation.  I don't personally mind the criticism and discussion because we can typically resolve our differences of opinion or perspective through communication, or at least find a common ground in our enjoyment of the park...well, most of it, anyways!  ;-)

7/24/2023 8:52 am  #11

MartinG wrote:

While I wouldn't specifically call Cork a favourite lake, it is a Gem. ...

No, Gem is a fairly short but very steep portage off of Pen, completely different part of the park.  It is however a beautiful little lake stocked with brookies but with no campsites. 

I do need to check out the Barron Canyon area some day. 

7/24/2023 4:17 pm  #12

RobW wrote:

MartinG wrote:

While I wouldn't specifically call Cork a favourite lake, it is a Gem. ...

No, Gem is a fairly short but very steep portage off of Pen, completely different part of the park.  It is however a beautiful little lake stocked with brookies but with no campsites. 

I do need to check out the Barron Canyon area some day. 

Stirring the pot Rob . Ain't no Brookies in there, don't waste your time. Our group made our way up to Gem this spring to find 5 other boats already fishing that tiny lake. Won't have any trouble getting POS wormy Bass into the pan on Cork.

7/25/2023 6:52 am  #13

@ RobW - that area of the park has quite a few interesting elements to build a short or long trip...paddling the Barron Canyon; an easy, picturesque loop hike to the canyon rim; several loop/one-way interior trips with options of higher-elevation headwater lakes like Marie & Length; the high falls trails and waterslide to the gorgeous setting of Tom Thomson's 1916 Jack Pine on the sandy spit of land used for thousands of years by native peoples at Grand Lake.  Not exactly a Disneyland of attractions, but quite a few for that small corner of the park.

7/25/2023 8:51 am  #14

MartinG wrote:

Stirring the pot Rob . Ain't no Brookies in there, don't waste your time. Our group made our way up to Gem this spring to find 5 other boats already fishing that tiny lake. Won't have any trouble getting POS wormy Bass into the pan on Cork.

I've pulled in a couple of brookies in Gem, only been up there a couple of times but have never seen anyone else there. I think Raccoon and his brother pulled in a few nice ones several years ago too. Are you sure those 5 other boats weren't just your group given that you were all paddling solo? 

7/25/2023 7:43 pm  #15

RobW wrote:

MartinG wrote:

I've pulled in a couple of brookies in Gem, only been up there a couple of times but have never seen anyone else there. I think Raccoon and his brother pulled in a few nice ones several years ago too. Are you sure those 5 other boats weren't just your group given that you were all paddling solo? 

Maybe it's the Covid effect! I didn't go up to Gem. It was Mark Rubino, Stainless, Rick D and another guy. The lake was swarming with wannabe Brook Trout hunters. I got skunked this spring for Trout Strangely enough caught a couple of Lakers in Manitou during 30 degree heat two weeks ago.

Last edited by MartinG (7/25/2023 7:59 pm)

8/16/2023 2:06 pm  #16

Cork is secluded and small relative to a lot of the other lakes in the park. Maybe that's why you didn't enjoy it as much? It's nice and quiet and at times I've been the only camper there with the other site unoccupied.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.