You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2023 10:27 am  #1

RIP Spring Trip

May 5, 2023.  Beloved Spring Canoe Trip planned for May 13-16, suddenly (but predictably); cherished supporter of Moosewhizzer Dave, Curtis Solo Canoe, Grey Owl Paddle, Granite Portage Pack, First Aid Kit, Spare Paddle, Life Jacket, Tent, Bear Barrel; Also survived by many ancillary friends.  No prior visitation, private service. Flowers gratefully declined.  The family invites friends to make memorials to The Friends of Algonquin Park.

I have never canceled a trip for work before, so that's a good track record, but this one....in cold blood....I'm so angry over this because it was so avoidable...but predictable.  I saw the potential for this in mid-March.  Nobody asked me to cancel....and while I am sure the submission will be made this week, I've been doing proposal long enough to know what this week will be like - I'll be exhausted by the time I'd have the opportunity to pack, drive there, travel in the park, etc.  it wouldn't be safe for me or anybody else.  

What really hacks me off about it is that I'm 57.  I like to think I have a decent number of trips remaining in me, but as you all know, these trips are physically demanding, and there's no way to know how many I have left in me.  It annoys me thoroughly to give one up.

So everybody better write really good trip reports this Spring because I'll be living vicariously through you.

5/08/2023 11:30 am  #2

Re: RIP Spring Trip

Sorry to hear that you’ve had to cancel, I feel your pain.  I’ve had to cancel due to my job before as well.  Rest assured there will be many more!!

5/08/2023 8:44 pm  #3

Oh no! I feel your pain Dave. I have only ever had to cancel 1 trip, and it was due to starting a new job. The pain is real. Especially for a spring trip. We will do our best to document our spring trip in a couple weeks! My condolences....

Recent series on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qiAJQaeWFPw

5/10/2023 8:27 am  #4

Priorities!!  Should of canceled work instead! 

5/10/2023 6:30 pm  #5

7 years, 1 month, 3 days and I will leave a vapor trail behind me so hot that anybody left in its wake will require medical attention.  If anybody at the office wants to order a cake to wish me fond farewell they are welcome to do so, but I won't be there.

5/11/2023 6:05 am  #6

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

7 years, 1 month, 3 days and I will leave a vapor trail behind me so hot that anybody left in its wake will require medical attention. If anybody at the office wants to order a cake to wish me fond farewell they are welcome to do so, but I won't be there.

i hear that!!!!!

5/13/2023 9:17 am  #7

I almost had to cancel my week long trip due to work, ended up saying f that and went haha, well see how happy they are with me monday morning..

5/18/2023 11:13 am  #8

Dave, I just cancelled a front country trip this weekend due to the inclement weather forecast, first time I've ever had to cancel a trip entirely. 

25mm rain Saturday and -4C overnight Sunday with 2 kids under 4 doesn't seem like a great time.  Oh well, 2 more weeks until my first back country trip. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.