You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2023 7:16 am  #1

Portage Campsite Inventory

Between this website's PCI and the parallel/integrated efforts of Drew ('All of Algonquin' website) and Cody ('Algonquin and Beyond' website), we have a growing online resource of backcountry campsites. This post is a reminder to those planning a backcountry trip to remember this resource .. both as a tool in your planning .. and as an opportunity to provide additional information to our general community. By checking out the PCI, you can identify opportunities to add reports of campsites that are not yet documented. Reports can be either emailed to the PCI through http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/PCIindex.htm or submitted to Cody's website at https://algonquinbeyond.com/algonquin-campsites-submit/ 

I've just completed adding links to the PCI of the latest campsite reports from both Drew's and Cody's websites and encourage you to consider adding new campsite reports to our collective effort.

5/02/2023 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Portage Campsite Inventory

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your efforts and everyone who has contributed to this. This is a tremendous resource. Although part of backcountry camping in Algonquin naturally feels "wrong" to see the sites in advance, I must admit I use this resource before embarking on any new lake, it really helps seeing the size of some lakes and which campsites to aim for. 

5/02/2023 4:13 pm  #3

Why don't I like these things? I can't explain it. Rubs me the wrong way for some reason. On the other hand, I'm always ready for a recommendation. The other day I asked Peek for campsite recommendation on Louisa. He recommended a site. I was happy and grateful. A short while later he sent me a link to a detailed campsite review of the same site. I didn't read it. Not going to. I'm weird.

Last edited by MartinG (5/03/2023 10:22 am)

5/02/2023 5:04 pm  #4

I'm with Martin

5/03/2023 5:54 am  #5

MartinG wrote:

Why don't I like these things? I can't explain it. Rubs me the wrong way for some reason. On the other hand, I'm always ready for a recommendation. The other day I asked Peek for campsite recommendation on Louisa. He recommended a site. I was happy and grateful. A short while later he sent me a link to a detailed campsite review of the same site. I didn't read it. Not going to. Weird.

some people like the sense of exploration and adventure, some like the safety and security of having the most info possible, some (like me) like a little of both- in a small group of experienced paddlers, we like to wing it and find what's out there, but when taking a bunch of newbies, and even to some extent, solo, you can't beat having a decent knowledge about the size, quality, and location of sites so they have the best experience possible.
This is one of the few times you CAN have it both ways, you can research as much or as little as suits you for your particular trip.

5/03/2023 7:20 am  #6

@Martin, I agree...

Except when tripping with kids. It sure is nice knowing that the day will end on a nice spacious site where they can run around. The PCI has been really, really helpful with that over the last 15 years.

5/03/2023 9:45 am  #7

Pretty much what Marko said with regard to being responsible for kids or a small group of mixed level campers. They can also just be fun to read and reminders of potential safety and LNT issues.

5/03/2023 9:59 am  #8

Barry, I would like to say thank you for maintaining the PCI & to those that contribute!!

I think we need to keep in mind the different levels of abilities, be it young, old, disabilities, etc. With several family members with mobility issues, I can say the PCI has been invaluable!

To those that want to explore & discover, no peeking at the campsite inventory!

5/03/2023 11:12 am  #9

We all got introduced to the outdoors by someone. I'm fortunate for that and I feel grateful if I can be the person that introduces camping to other people, the same way it was once introduced to me. For people that want the data about campsites, the data is there. For the people that don't want it, you can avoid it. In general, having more accessible information and data only helps introduce more people to the beautiful environment we have in our backyards. I personally disagree with the people that say these reports shouldn't exist and nice campsites should be kept secret (it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but I get those comments pretty often).

For all the comments about safety, children, elderly, disabilities, etc. that's one of the big reasons why I decided to start my own database of reports and my website in general. One of the big goals of my website is to try and educate and promote the right information for people starting their journey into the outdoors. I'd rather make all of the information available, including campsite reports, and then use my platform to promote LNT, proper etiquette, bear safety, the rules and regulations of the park, etc.

With the rise of digital platforms and social media, the information is going to exist one way or another. My personal belief is that if there are a few key platforms providing the information, and they do it responsibly, it's better than having inaccurate information scattered everywhere.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/03/2023 11:38 am  #10

MartinG wrote:

Why don't I like these things? I can't explain it. Rubs me the wrong way for some reason. On the other hand, I'm always ready for a recommendation. The other day I asked Peek for campsite recommendation on Louisa. He recommended a site. I was happy and grateful. A short while later he sent me a link to a detailed campsite review of the same site. I didn't read it. Not going to. I'm weird.

Same here man. To each their own but I find this type of initiative detrimental to Algonquin for a variety of reasons. It's why I removed a similar post on reddit. I don't think this is a good thing - at all. (lol yes, despite me sending you that link).

5/03/2023 12:27 pm  #11

No offence Peek, but I believe admins of the subreddit have a responsibility to represent the community as a whole and the 7k members in the subreddit. I don't think posts should be disallowed or removed based on personal preferences. If they go against community policies or park rules that's another story, but filtering content to restrict access to information that helps people safely plan their trips, is contrary to representing the best interest of the community. On a personal website, sure, but the subreddit is meant to be a public forum. I didn't even notice that you removed my post until right now but it was clear from the number of upvotes, comments, and Gold award that the majority of people do appreciate having the content available.

Just my 2 cents.

As an admin you technically have the right to remove posts as you please but it will be sad if the Algonquin subreddit (which you know I am extremely active in) becomes a platform that represents individual opinions instead of representing the overall community.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/03/2023 12:54 pm  #12

trippythings wrote:

No offense Peek

No worries - none taken. We can continue this discussion on reddit through messaging.

But I will quickly point out..

trippythings wrote:

a platform that represents individual opinions instead of representing the overall community.

This is already inaccurate based on the replies and opinions above. Some for it, some against it, some for it with a caveat, some dead against it. That doesn't seem like an individual opinion. Besides, nobody has removed your content - just the marketing.

5/03/2023 1:10 pm  #13

To me this thread symbolizes my growing issue with AP overall.

It’s beginning to not match what I want out of my backcountry experiences. Now I will say… this is a “ me” problem.

Do I look at campsite reports yes.. do I wish they didn’t exist also yes.

I’m answering specifically from what is best for me though. AP is a popular place and lots of novices, families with kids etc make their way in and the campsite reports help them. In the end though I think it contributes to the beat down of the most popular sites and a detraction from a bit of mystery that I want when I’m out there.

I will lose this battle... have already lost it..the answer is simple for me though..reduce my trips to AP and open up more spots for people that the parks suits better now. I have a growing list of more remote trips that will make me happier.

Everybody wins.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/03/2023 1:11 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/03/2023 1:13 pm  #14

Obviously I don’t mind campsite reports since I’m one of the bigger contributors here. For the people who aren’t fans, I’m curious if/why there’s a line between trip reports and campsite reports? Or trip videos for that matter? Is it the specificity the campsite report that’s the issue?  I understand the argument that putting the information out there makes it more likely that nicer sites will be overused, but you could say the same thing about trip reports or videos that include stops at pretty waterfalls or nice campsites etc.

(FWIW, my guess is this whole debate will be moot in a couple of years. I don’t think we’re that far away from each site having pictures on the reservation platform)

5/03/2023 1:36 pm  #15

For me it's a growing issue I have with society overall.. Everyone wants everything to be easy and readily consumable. I want things to be hard, hard to get information on, hard to get to, hard to organize for.. challenging myself is perhaps one of the biggest reasons I go out there. All of this digital information detracts from that. 
Again other people exist in the world and like everything else, AP has been molded to what the majority wants. I'm cool with that. Thankfully I have lots of other options. I still love AP, will still head in there every year. Just not as much.  

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/03/2023 1:43 pm  #16

Thanks, Barry.  Your diligence, support, patience and tolerance are all qualities we would benefit from emulating!  

We scout rapids before shooting and we scout campsites before pitching...online or word of mouth if available, on foot if not.  The differences are purely subjective and heavily biased.

5/03/2023 3:27 pm  #17

I unintentionally opened a can of worms. I'm not against the PCI, or Cody's site, or Drew's site (love Drew's writing!). The campsite reviews just rarely offer much value to me. ScouterGriz, Marko, Gord, and SS... on the other hand find them useful. Those examples show what a great service it provides. 

I have viewed site reviews before. Just haven't sought them out. I don't love the idea. Perhaps it is the clinical description of the site. Or the pictures themselves highlighting the beaten down ground and strangled root systems. Or, maybe it's the attempt to micro manage expectations for what should be a wild experience. For me, that sort of kills the experience. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.