You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2023 3:52 pm  #1

AO taking over the P-Store contract

I’m sure many of you have already seen this, but if not, AO announced today they won the contract for what was now formerly called The Portage Store.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this one. I like AO. The quality of their service and advice has always been excellent. I’ve got a lot of nostalgia for the P-Store though, having spent (and continuing to spend) a lot of time on Canoe Lake. I worry a bit about the lack of competition in outfitting options in the Park. I also feel for the people who had been running the P-Store (according to their website it’s been a family business for 47 years). 

I’m curious about the process behind these tenders. I see why they reopen them every ten years, competition is good, but the results seem anti-competitive for everyone using the Park.

1/24/2023 9:53 pm  #2

Re: AO taking over the P-Store contract

I have mixed feelings too. I really like some of the guys at AO but it does sorta look like a Monopoly. And not one driven by the free market or consumer choice.

First they picked Opeongo away from Opeongo Outfitters, then they saved the Brent store, then got the  LoTR Store, now the P-Store (I hope they keep the name).

These places can lose their character and charm when the become part of the machine. Still, I don't have any complaints about how any of them are run. Brent is run basically the way Brent and Jake like it. AO Ox still has about the best paddle selection in the province, they all rent the best canoes in the Canada. They support tripping and trippers and contribute to the parks ethos.

But now there's no one out there to keep them honest. Except the government. Ford will keep them honest.

Last edited by MartinG (1/24/2023 9:54 pm)

1/25/2023 1:50 pm  #3

Wish I could say I was surprised.  Should we expect a big used canoe sale in the spring??

1/25/2023 5:50 pm  #4

Wait - they took over OO?

1/25/2023 6:32 pm  #5

AO won the contract for the Opeongo Store sometime in the late 80s, have had it ever since. I don't know what came first for Brent or Opeongo. But for a Loong time AO was just the one store on Oxtongue lake.

1/26/2023 6:24 am  #6

MartinG wrote:

AO won the contract for the Opeongo Store sometime in the late 80s, have had it ever since. I don't know what came first for Brent or Opeongo. But for a Loong time AO was just the one store on Oxtongue lake.

Gotcha - I misread your post. I was thinking they took over the store in Whitney.

1/30/2023 1:00 pm  #7

Wow.  Tough to imagine losing a contract like that after almost 50 years. I've always enjoyed the P-Store and hope to for years to come. AO has done well running the LoTR store and same with Opeongo Store so no doubt the Portage Store is in good hands but I do hear the concern about reduction of competition. 

2/08/2023 7:42 pm  #8

Prior owners have said to media that they put in a bid, don’t know why they lost and object to AO having a monopoly.

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (2/08/2023 7:52 pm)

2/09/2023 9:01 am  #9

4/08/2023 5:40 pm  #10

MartinG wrote:

First they picked Opeongo away from Opeongo Outfitters, then they saved the Brent store, then got the LoTR Store, now the P-Store (I hope they keep the name).

Here's some Algonquin history for you. The P-store actually held the opeongo store concession before AO did; and while I can't confirm....I'm certain the Ope concession was awarded to AO in part to prevent the P-store from having a monopoly....and yet here we are.

The Ope store was managed by Erik Saltmanis on behalf of the Miglins and his nickname was salty which led to plenty of confusion when Swifty from AO took over.

4/22/2023 3:51 pm  #11

Portage store is re-opening outside the park.

4/22/2023 4:36 pm  #12

Interestingly the address they are setting up at is the location of algonquin bound. I guess they have come to some kind of merger agreement.

4/22/2023 5:44 pm  #13

4/23/2023 12:49 pm  #14

@Jdbonney I don’t believe there is any association. That said, I’m not sure exactly how things went down.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

4/23/2023 8:21 pm  #15

Jdbonney wrote:

Interestingly the address they are setting up at is the location of algonquin bound. I guess they have come to some kind of merger agreement.

While I can't confirm any merger information, I was interested in booking the suite at Algonquin Bound for some of my older relatives and the rentals are off the board - or at least off Airbnb, for this year. 

Thanks Barry for sharing the new link. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.