You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 8:12 pm  #1

Campsite on Crow River

We're working on planning a week long trip with another couple.  On previous trips we've been able to do the portage and half method with me carrying a pack and boat all the way through and then coming back to the half way point to pickup the food barrel that one of the woman would have left there.   Alas, the woman are no longer going to be able to transport the food barrel so the portage and half method won't be possible.

One idea is to select a route that provides opportunities to use a cart.   My wife and I did the Bowron circuit in BC last summer and that is a route where you are expected to use a cart and do one pass portages.   Doing Proulx, Big Crow, Lavielle, Dickson would be an interesting route as no one other than myself has done that route beyond Big Crow.  A cart would be usable from Opeongo to Proulx and on the Dickson-Bonfield portage.   I don't expect carts to be useful on the Crow River portages which means we'll have even more items to carry on them.  Travelling all the way from Big Crow to Lavielle in one day is probably too much for our group (we are in our mid to late 60's) so I was wondering if anyone can recall what the one campsite along the Crow River is like.   All the trip reports I have been to find make no mention of the campsite other than that it exists.

3/09/2023 9:49 pm  #2

Re: Campsite on Crow River

Not a bad site. Elevated from the river in a stand of pines. Pretty flat and with a good view of an open part of the river.

For some reason I think there may be issues with trees down or maybe widow makers now. But can't be sure.

4/10/2023 2:40 pm  #3

I think I was the one that told you about the widow makers on that site Martin.  That was 1.5 yrs ago now since I was on it.

Here is an overview of the site yellowcanoe.

https://allofalgonquin.com/campsite-reviews/crow-river-site-1/

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/11/2023 6:30 am  #4

Why not use the cart path to access Dickson and come back out that way?  You can travel all through Lavieille and up/down the Crow River a bit on day trips but that makes it much more manageable and a lot less intense.

A few of the Crow River portages are runnable in higher water (not the 1220m) but that route's a bit of a hassle coming in that way due to the number of portages - especially at your age with the portage restrictions you spelled out.  I've stopped at the single campsite on the Crow River between Big Crow and Lavieille but only as a leg stretch and warm-up.  It was serviceable and had a limited but pretty view...nothing compared to the sites on the lakes up or down stream though.

4/11/2023 10:06 am  #5

PaPaddler wrote:

Why not use the cart path to access Dickson and come back out that way?  You can travel all through Lavieille and up/down the Crow River a bit on day trips but that makes it much more manageable and a lot less intense.

It's more enjoyable to do a loop than an in/out trip and travelling the Crow River provides a good opportunity to see moose.  However you do raise a good point -- using the Dickson cart both ways enables cart usage for all except the short portage from Dickson to Lavielle.

PaPaddler wrote:

A few of the Crow River portages are runnable in higher water (not the 1220m) but that route's a bit of a hassle coming in that way due to the number of portages - especially at your age with the portage restrictions you spelled out.  I've stopped at the single campsite on the Crow River between Big Crow and Lavieille but only as a leg stretch and warm-up.  It was serviceable and had a limited but pretty view...nothing compared to the sites on the lakes up or down stream though.

I have run some of the rapids on the Crow River.   Yes, the campsite doesn't compare to the lake campsites but for one night it looks ok.

The group decided to go to Killarney as we haven't been there in quite a few years.   Yes, an odd choice for a group that had discussed using carts to make portaging easier!

4/12/2023 7:45 am  #6

Ha!  No worries...group decision-making is often dynamic.  Enjoy the trip!

I used to have a preference for loops but as I've matured I find the pleasure of setting a base camp and day tripping from such a point more rewarding - less time spent on the rigors of making/breaking camp and more time spent enjoying our surroundings and one another's company.

4/12/2023 9:24 am  #7

I have done this loop 3 times in the past, the first time solo. 

The campsite on crow river has a decent tent pad, it's more of a rest stop than a destination. 

From Proulx to big crow is about 4 hrs of paddling leisurely (as per my gps).

You can use a canoe cart on the 1200m crow river portage. 

It would take about 7-8 hrs of straight paddling to go from Big Crow to Crow Bay. I would say if you can push it, it would be worthwhile. maybe just think of going to the river site as a pit stop to recharge./lunch. If your objective is to see moose, then I would stay on the river and get up early to finish the journey to lavielle. 

the 3rd site on crow bay (where it narrows) is a 4 star site. Red pines, a flat tent spot, nice fire pit. I would say it is worth pushing on so you have more time on Lavieille and setting up a base camp early there to explore.

I've done the 5500m portage 7 times, and the cart trail twice. the cart trail is definitely less strenuous, but it is very annoying at times. the last 500m before it meets up with the portage is rugged. the tall grass covers hidden rocks/boulders. There is also a steep, rocky downhill section right before it meets the portage - it's challenging. Maybe I brought too much gear last time, but it was not fun at that part, and equally so going back up Opeongo. Still "easier" than doing a portage, but it's not a gravel path. Make sure you bring lots of water, I made that mistake. All the creeks along the way had dried up from drought in the first week of August. 

I am not sure if you have experience with a canoe cart, the following tips helped me get through.
- bring some of your own ratchet straps, the tighter the canoe is to the cart, the easier the journey will be overall.
- find an 8' branch, as straight as possible, and lash it to the front handle of the canoe. one person on either side to push. (it will never feel "equally balanced", but it will move);

Last edited by Experience The Elements (4/12/2023 9:28 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.