You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2023 12:53 pm  #1

Music thread - what's everyone listening to?

Maybe some of you are into this or maybe you're not, but with the broad age range and spread out locations of the board I'm curious as to what everyone listens to - if they're willing to share.  

Personally, I enjoy everything from early Sabbath to modern alt country, and 60's psych to 90's hip hop. 

Right now, listening to a lot of Joe Pug, Justin Townes Earle, The Sword, Jerry Jeff Walker, Benjamin Tod and the very early true formation of Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green.

Edit: If you're a player and working on anything, link it here if you feel comfortable.  

Last edited by TripperMike (3/07/2023 1:02 pm)

3/07/2023 8:17 pm  #2

Re: Music thread - what's everyone listening to?

I also have a broad interest, ranging from old country (e.g. Johnny Cash, Tom T. Hall etc.) to celtic punk (such as The Pogues, Dropkick Murphys etc.).
Some of my main go-to's include Gordon Lightfoot (mostly mid-70's and back), Steppenwolf/John Kay and the Tragically Hip.

3/08/2023 1:11 pm  #3

With three kids in the house there’s a bit of a gap between what I listen to and what I might choose to listen to. For example, I’m pretty sure I know every word to every Taylor Swift song ever written, not by choice. And I probably sing Let it Go in my sleep.

That said, I like a little bit of everything. I’m a 90s kid, so Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, anything that would have been on The Thursday 30 on 102.1 The Edge. These days, my go to playlist includes Iggy Pop, Brand New, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Tones & I and a whole lot of AJR. I’ve Also been listening to the Hamilton soundtrack while I’m running, it’s a great mix of music and narrative and makes the kms go quickly. I’m thinking it might be handy for long portages as well.

3/08/2023 1:33 pm  #4

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

With three kids in the house there’s a bit of a gap between what I listen to and what I might choose to listen to. For example, I’m pretty sure I know every word to every Taylor Swift song ever written, not by choice. And I probably sing Let it Go in my sleep.

That said, I like a little bit of everything. I’m a 90s kid, so Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, anything that would have been on The Thursday 30 on 102.1 The Edge. These days, my go to playlist includes Iggy Pop, Brand New, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Tones & I and a whole lot of AJR. I’ve Also been listening to the Hamilton soundtrack while I’m running, it’s a great mix of music and narrative and makes the kms go quickly. I’m thinking it might be handy for long portages as well.

Drew, the Moana and Frozen soundtracks or Blippi's tunes Vol 2 come on in my head a lot more than any music I would enjoy for myself... ahh the joys of parenting. 

3/09/2023 9:12 am  #5

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH!

Since forever.  But I do listen to other music - favorites would be.......this is going to be different than what you'd expect based on my Rush fandom, but my other main "go-to" artists are John Denver, The Irish Rovers, Steve Miller.  Those are the ones that will plant ear worms with me for a canoe trip, so if you hear somebody singing off in the distance, it might just be me exorcising an ear worm.  Irish Rover songs in particular I find outstanding to sing to myself on a canoe trip.  

Last edited by MooseWhizzer Dave (3/09/2023 6:04 pm)

3/10/2023 11:17 am  #6

I also have 2 young children at home. I find myself absentmindedly whistling the Pepa Pig theme song all too much.... 
Quick background is I'm in my early 30s and was a nerdy band-kid who played percussion and the drums..
@Dave, the correct answer is always Rush. Dreamtheatre, TOOL, and Coheed and Cambria also great prog. rock gods as well. Polyphia is another amazing more 'recent' one.

For Gonq portages, I find Gordon Lightfoot's songs to be oddly heartwarming and the pace of his early guitar works keeps me high-stepping - Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Early Morning Rain etc... Or if, it's the Dickson-Bonfield I'll imagine some hardcore rock music (Alexisonfire, System of a Down, etc..) and pretend I'm running from the Devil himself.

I'll listen to anything except what I call 'pop-country'.
Cheers all.

3/10/2023 11:20 am  #7

3/10/2023 5:54 pm  #8

About to pick up the canoe on leg 2 (3) of a double-carry: "Hello darkness my old friend..."

Last edited by scratchypants (3/10/2023 5:55 pm)

3/14/2023 2:36 pm  #9

TripperMike wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Drew, the Moana and Frozen soundtracks or Blippi's tunes Vol 2 come on in my head a lot more than any music I would enjoy for myself... ahh the joys of parenting. 

I thought Blippi was going to be a quick phase that would last no more than a few months. Years later I am still hearing that dang excavator song through the speakers... although credit to the guy for building his brand.

Not as much music these days, throw on some classical when focusing for work or some newer rock like Imagine Dragons or Fun. Dave Matthews often finds it's way to my ears too.

Anyone listen to podcasts? I saw someone mention the Algonquin Defining Moments podcast in another thread and started that up today. Smartless is a fun easy listen as well.

3/14/2023 9:47 pm  #10

Hobbes wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

I thought Blippi was going to be a quick phase that would last no more than a few months. Years later I am still hearing that dang excavator song through the speakers... although credit to the guy for building his brand.

Not as much music these days, throw on some classical when focusing for work or some newer rock like Imagine Dragons or Fun. Dave Matthews often finds it's way to my ears too.

Anyone listen to podcasts? I saw someone mention the Algonquin Defining Moments podcast in another thread and started that up today. Smartless is a fun easy listen as well.

I hate to say it, but the music guy for Blippi kinda rips.  Excavator song and Monster Truck are my jams. 

I listen to a lot of outdoorsy podcasts while working/driving if I can .  A friend of a friend has a new-ish podcast called “The Canadian Canoe Podcast” featuring some unique guests. 

Not a regular listener of Rogan, but his interview with the Boneyard Alaska guy is fascinating.

3/15/2023 9:41 am  #11

TripperMike wrote:

I hate to say it, but the music guy for Blippi kinda rips. Excavator song and Monster Truck are my jams.

I'll admit he sure knows how to make them catchy! My daughter can also listen to anything from the Super Simple Songs people, all day, everyday. They do a good job in terms of kids content too.

I'll check out that podcast! Always looking to add to my list. Night time walks are where I crush through them, trying to get the legs ready for some ice-out portaging. Will build a playlist with the music from this thread for the trip.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.