You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2023 12:58 pm  #1

Portages Off Opeongo

Does anyone know what the condition of the portages are from Opeongo to Little Minnow/Myra/Marmot/Baldwin? Overgrown in spots/covered in blowdown, or clear and easy to follow?

My gut feeling is that they're likely all in reasonably good shape given that they're right off of Opeongo, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's walked any of them.

Thanks!

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

2/23/2023 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Portages Off Opeongo

Portage to Marmot was clear and easy to follow in 2021. Same with Little Minnow and Myra 2020.

We looked for a while and found no trace of the traditional aboriginal route to Asio and White Gull. We walked around for a couple of hours about 1 km deep into the bush along and north of where it is marked on JMAP5.

2/23/2023 3:46 pm  #3

Woo, thanks Martin!

That's very good to know about the White Gull route. Of all of the historic routes on my map, that was one I thought might still exist in some form. That said, I struggle to remember what gave me that impression. It's been over 50 years since the park maintained a portage through there and honestly I can't imagine it was ever very popular, so in hindsight that makes sense. It's nice to get definitive answer on the current state of that route =)

2/23/2023 6:04 pm  #4

Could be that the start is in the south side of the creek marked right at the trailhead. Also the area has been extensively logged.

upload pic

2/24/2023 8:53 am  #5

MartinG wrote:

Could be that the start is in the south side of the creek marked right at the trailhead. Also the area has been extensively logged.

upload pic

May I ask which GPS/map app you use Jeff's Map on your phone and how I can get it? Thanks.

2/24/2023 11:00 am  #6

@Martin It's certainly possible. Here's a screenshot from the MNR's 1970 map showing that portage. It doesn't show it starting from that far south, but at the same time I still wouldn't rule it out. Another future exploration perhaps =)

@Bampot He's using the Avenza app, but unfortunately that version is no longer available. Sorry about that.

Last edited by jeffreym (2/24/2023 11:01 am)

2/24/2023 1:54 pm  #7

Thanks, @jeffreym.

Is there anyway to obtain the georeferenced files that still work on MartinG's Avenza app? I would be willing to pay for this file. 

2/24/2023 2:39 pm  #8

Bampot wrote:

MartinG wrote:

upload pic

May I ask which GPS/map app you use Jeff's Map on your phone and how I can get it? Thanks.

Avenza is an App available for IOS and Android. It allows you to display georeferenced PDF maps. Jeff's Maps and the Jeffs Maps download for Avenza maps are now defunct. You can not buy it. There may be work arounds for the technically oriented. You would have to Google that.

2/24/2023 2:50 pm  #9

Thanks, Martin.

I understand that the Jeff's Map download for Avenza is no longer available - but I wasn't sure if there was a file that could be imported directly into Avenza containing the georeferencing information. If that is possible and someone has this file, name your price! Haha

2/24/2023 3:10 pm  #10

@Bampot Sent you a PM

Last edited by jeffreym (2/24/2023 3:16 pm)

2/28/2023 7:52 am  #11

Maps from 1934, 1937, and 1951 show the portage to Whitegull via Asio starting north of a creek but crossing it towards the WSW not far along, so that might be a good clue. Also the 50K topo map from 1974 has some detail of where portage goes, but it doesn’t even show the mentioned creek so perhaps the accuracy is questionable.

3/01/2023 8:06 am  #12

I snowshoed the portage into Baldwin mid Feb last year. It was easy to follow even in the winter when it can sometimes be hard to find the path without being able to see it worn into the ground. I don't remember any significant blowdown. Portage was super easy to find and follow. 

3/01/2023 8:38 am  #13

APPaul wrote:

I snowshoed the portage into Baldwin mid Feb last year. It was easy to follow even in the winter when it can sometimes be hard to find the path without being able to see it worn into the ground. I don't remember any significant blowdown. Portage was super easy to find and follow. 

Ok, what's the story here? How did you get there? Love to hear about that trip.

3/01/2023 11:57 am  #14

Not to much to it other than to say I really like the park in the winter! …and long days!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.