You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2023 8:02 pm  #1

Eustache L. to "The Forks"

I've been on the hunt for any information on the traditional portage route shown on Jeff's Map between Eustache L and "The Forks" of the Crow R./white partridge Cr. Curious if anyone has any beta they'd be willing to share. 

Last edited by findingfontinalis (2/13/2023 10:03 am)

2/13/2023 7:52 am  #2

Re: Eustache L. to "The Forks"

No data to share, but looking at topo and satellite maps, it doesn't look that difficult to navigate with a compass and topography.  The toughest part is likely getting up out of Eustache...but long bushwhacks like that take on a life of their own once you're in the thick of it.

2/13/2023 8:59 am  #3

I thought I would see this portage on the 1941 Arthur Brown map but it doesn't show the easternmost 20 miles of the park.   It shows Wagtail and Keneu Lake.   The western end of Eustache which should appear on the map and the portage don't appear.   The 1925 Arthur Brown map does show Eustache but not the portage.

2/13/2023 9:33 am  #4

While I haven't done the trail (yet - gotta get to Peek's Lake) I have been to both ends and can confirm both ends are flagged. You'll find some pink flagging tape tied to a tree branch above the water on Eustache. You'll also find pink flagging tape beyond the trail leading to the thunderbox at the campsite at the Forks. The Forks end of the trail & tape was last verified (by me) in 2016, and the Eustache end of the trail + tape last verified (by me) in 2020/21 & 22.

I don't recall the circumstances exactly, but I think the entire trail was flagged around 2015 (mavbe 14?) by a boys scout type of group. Or something like that.

2/13/2023 10:05 am  #5

Thanks all!. Very helpful info Peek....How's the campsite at the forks?

2/13/2023 10:27 am  #6

Honestly - It's nothing spectacular, or even special - BUT for whatever reason (maybe I was tired, maybe I was hungry, maybe it was something else) I really enjoyed my night there. I felt like I was in the middle of the woods, next to a tiny creek (probably because I was). Definitely felt different (in a good way).

2/13/2023 6:48 pm  #7

It was never and official park route, rather a Camp Pathfinder route. Last time Pathfinder did it was 2019. 2 canoes from Eustache to WP Creek. You should reach out. Maybe they will give some intel.

A log of every trip Pathfinder has done since the 50's can be found here https://www.camppathfinder.com/trip-postings

Last edited by MartinG (2/13/2023 6:49 pm)

2/13/2023 7:14 pm  #8

findingfontinalis wrote:

Thanks all!. Very helpful info Peek....How's the campsite at the forks?

Suuucks!

Me and Peek argue bout this . Honestly, it's a great place to be. Just don't expect much in the way of amenities. This is the view of the entire site, while standing on the portage trail.

2/14/2023 9:27 am  #9

I am headed there in June for a few days and will attempt to navigate the portage to the Forks and do some clearing if possible. Coincidentally, I wrote Jeff McMurtrie an email last week asking about this. He provided the following useful information:

There isn’t a trail (i.e. its a bushwhack), but that route does see a bit of use. I know Camp Pathfinder uses it on occasion, and I’ve had friends use it.

I believe there is some flagging tape you can follow, at least in spots.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by Bampot (2/14/2023 9:27 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.