You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2022 12:24 pm  #1

Marking Trails?

Are there any rules surrounding people marking their own trails?  On a trip earlier this year I came across trail marking tape someone had marked (every 40'ish feet) to a no portage lake, finding a fishing net at the other end...  Assume a trail to someone's secret fishing spot, but perhaps used for stocking, monitoring, etc?  Either way, curious what / if there's any rules surrounding marking such trails?

11/25/2022 12:52 pm  #2

Re: Marking Trails?

When we hike off-trail we will sometimes mark our way in so that we can follow our same path out.  Only done it a handful of times but we don't leave the marking tape up as we remove it on our way out.

11/25/2022 1:29 pm  #3

The real question is, did you fish? and was it a honey hole?

I imagine since it's a Provincial Park flagging your own trail (and leaving tape) isn't technically allowed.  As long as there is no major cutting and environmental damage I can't see it bothering many people though. 

11/27/2022 6:58 am  #4

I like using biodegradable flagging tape for marking, that way if I miss a flag when closing my trail I at least know it'll be gone in a few seasons. I generally find it won't survive a single winter.
https://www.seton.ca/biodegradable-flagging-tape-jt190.html#95916

11/27/2022 8:16 am  #5

Is it legal?  No.  That is considered littering and exact opposite of leave no trace principles that the parks recommend for interior travel. 

There are many ways to 'mark' a trail that fall within leave no trace guidelines and most utilize tools like a compass or a gps device.

A less obtrusive method to the orange tape is the reflective pin - these are often used by hunters who navigate to their stand in the dark.  I remove all of them that I find (tape or reflector) when in the woods and dispose of them properly (and I get a little giggle thinking about the hunter wandering around trying to find his stand in the dark!).  Removing those markers is just like picking up trash on a hiking trail, portage or roadside. 

Flagging tape and reflectors are crutches for people who haven't taken the time to learn how to navigate in nature...and likely haven't taken the time to learn the other important aspects of our environment as well.

11/28/2022 6:59 am  #6

PaPaddler wrote:

Flagging tape and reflectors are crutches for people who haven't taken the time to learn how to navigate in nature...and likely haven't taken the time to learn the other important aspects of our environment as well.

not true, flagging can be used for a myriad of things, especially in the small scale such as to mark a trail to a temporary "designated bathroom area, or a cliff face or widowmaker near your site that offers a serious danger at night...
Not everything you do is on the scale needed to show up on GPS.

11/28/2022 7:33 am  #7

@ scoutergriz,
True.  Flagging tape could also be used for wound closure and probably ten thousand other applications. 

But that isn't the subject being discussed - this was related to flagging tape found in the interior as part of a bushwhacked trail to a lake that was left as litter after it was used.

5/09/2023 8:40 am  #8

Very interesting thoughts on this thread.  I agree it is not allowed as it is littering, but all I can think of is my trip up Major Lake Rd. to the Shall Lk. access point this previous weekend.  Every kilometer along that road is marked not only by a sign but what seems like a whole roll of flagging tape strung from several trees.  This is done by the logging companies that use the road.  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.