You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2016 8:36 pm  #1

Fishing the Petawawa River

I'm still fine tuning my spring trip route and I'm figuring out how long I'm going to be distracted with fishing along the way.  Does anyone know if it's worth fishing for Brook Trout between Cedar Lake and Radiant, or is that section ruined by smallmouth bass?  It's a late April/May trip.

2/05/2016 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Fishing the Petawawa River

The bass don't matter they will be in the slower deeper water and not very active. The issue will be that the water is so cold still that the brook trout can be anywhere and they are not concentrated yet. When I fish the rivers of the park at that time of the year I bottom bounce a whole dew worm at the bottom of rapids that feed large deep pools. Just turn your canoe perpendicular to the current and fish of the upstream side. Be prepared to lose some terminal tackle.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

2/08/2016 3:17 pm  #3

If you do your trip on or after the May long weekend, you'd have the walleye option as well as brookies...

2/08/2016 3:29 pm  #4

I've never heard any positive comments about the Brook Trout in that area. I've caught lots of Bass in Cedar and Radiant. Also caught Catfish and Pickerel in Radiant. I've had no luck with trout. I have a friends who fishes Cedar every September for the past 20 years or so.  He's always showing off his Bass pics, the occasional Laker. Don't remember many specks. YMMV.

2/08/2016 5:24 pm  #5

Thanks guys, that's what I suspected.  I'll keep the rod packed through that section.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.