You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2022 5:05 pm  #18

Re: Ice Out 2022

based on the info at "friends of algonquin park" ,, ice out observations now and from past practices, makes the  ice out dates " several days before or after april 25th",,  and da park is not scheduled to be open until may 13th,,  just a bunch of B.S.  again,,
      if it is not the ice then the m.n.r. will blame the  poor road conditions,, 
       go to " friends of algonquin park" ,, click on ice conditions,,
       up comes lake of two rivers info and cam shots,, and scroll down , reading as you go and you will find the info regarding ice out dates  considering this years weather and ice conditions .

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/13/2022 8:56 pm)

4/15/2022 7:43 am  #19

I want to know why FOAP is so cheap this year and not updating the ice out page as much as normal years as well as taking pics of various lakes each day? Usually its fun to check the almost daily updates but this year has been a let down

4/15/2022 9:23 am  #20

@ATVenture, yes I agree. The only thing we can watch is the visitor center cam and the lake of two rivers image. I think I wore out the refresh button lol!
Its looking pretty promising on Lake of Two Rivers. It would be cool to see how the other areas of the park are progressing

Last edited by Abe Froman (4/15/2022 9:24 am)

4/15/2022 9:38 am  #21

Any predictions? I think in another 2 weeks we should be looking pretty good, gonna be slow for the next 2 weeks the way the forecast is going but i guess only time will tell...

4/15/2022 11:13 am  #22

Abe Froman wrote:

Any predictions? I think in another 2 weeks we should be looking pretty good, gonna be slow for the next 2 weeks the way the forecast is going but i guess only time will tell...

I'm going to take this as an invitation to throw out a best guess! Based on where things are at and the long term weather forecast, my mostly non-scientific guess for ice out is May 6.

4/15/2022 1:11 pm  #23

I guess 4/20

4/15/2022 5:36 pm  #24

i put April 29 for the AO contest, so i will stick to that.
Just looked at the FOAP pic, looking pretty good.

It would be nice to see other areas of the park...

4/17/2022 6:45 am  #25

I have been watching the FOAP ice out page for at least 10 years straight now and EVERY other year they included pictures from elsewhere. I guess this proves technology is taking over as all they are showing is the LOTR cam.

4/18/2022 5:50 pm  #26

ATVenture wrote:

I have been watching the FOAP ice out page for at least 10 years straight now and EVERY other year they included pictures from elsewhere. I guess this proves technology is taking over as all they are showing is the LOTR cam.

Agreed. And I know for a fact that FOAP has staff that drive from Dwight to the Visitor Centre EVERY SINGLE DAY. It would not be be hard for them to snap a few pics for the public. What else do they have going on in April?

Anecdotally, I can tell you that outside the park, the big Huntsville lakes just opened, Dwight Bay on Lake of Bays is open and Oxtongue Lake is 50% open. AO staff report that Tea Lake is 20% open, Smoke looks pretty solid and Ope is open around the boat launch but not beyond that. Cold nights this week. It will be another 10 days or more.

Last edited by Gord Baker (4/18/2022 5:51 pm)

4/19/2022 5:19 am  #27

Gord Baker wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

Agreed. And I know for a fact that FOAP has staff that drive from Dwight to the Visitor Centre EVERY SINGLE DAY. It would not be be hard for them to snap a few pics for the public. What else do they have going on in April?

Anecdotally, I can tell you that outside the park, the big Huntsville lakes just opened, Dwight Bay on Lake of Bays is open and Oxtongue Lake is 50% open. AO staff report that Tea Lake is 20% open, Smoke looks pretty solid and Ope is open around the boat launch but not beyond that. Cold nights this week. It will be another 10 days or more.

I say by Monday/Tuesday next week a canoe trip will be entirely possible in APP.. I just may prove it next weekend. 

4/19/2022 12:07 pm  #28

It sure is nice that information about the ice conditions is much more readily available than it was a few decades ago.   I remember coming up to Algonquin the first weekend in May one year in the 1980's to go backpacking on the Highland Trail and finding that the lakes were still ice covered.  I saw a few cars on the highway carrying canoes and one couple went out on the Highland Trail using the canoe packs they had and leaving their canoe on their vehicle in the parking lot.

4/20/2022 10:26 am  #29

The images today from LO2R makes it look like ice out will be very soon. In general, how much later does Opeongo take after LO2R goes?

4/20/2022 10:29 am  #30

That's actually covered in the text right under the image you're looking at:

On average Lake of Two Rivers sheds its ice cover 3 days earlier than Lake Opeongo, Algonquin Park's largest lake, and the basis for declaring Algonquin Park's ice out (see Ice Out History below).

4/20/2022 10:54 am  #31

Lol thanks Uppa! I should know better!

Is there a reason they don't just put the camera on Opeongo? Considering that's the lake they use to determine ice out?

4/20/2022 11:08 am  #32

I feel like there should be a contest for "Bug In" every year....but winning that would be a pretty hollow victory.

4/20/2022 1:01 pm  #33

Today’s modis image is cloud free. Opeongo is looking pretty frozen.

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1

Last edited by CedarHillX (4/20/2022 1:07 pm)

4/21/2022 12:41 pm  #34

Looks like the ice is really breaking up today on LO2R! Exciting!! I had ice out guess of April 27...I think it might be very close to that!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.