You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2022 6:23 am  #1

Algonquin Park Backcountry Camping Closure - April 1 to May 12, 2022.

Ontario Parks has closed all backcountry camping (including canoeing, backpacking, and winter camping) from April 1 to May 12, 2022. Developed camping and  day use are still possible during this time. Algonquin Park's backcountry reopens to camping on May 13, 2022.

Check out the official website's "Spring in Algonquin Park"
...  https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/spring-in-algonquin-park.php?fbclid=IwAR1XExkVRKPfVFB_pd6LKU8Rp68X8GJTSTldclMIhKtDSt-_7l4Lq_ArA7s

4/03/2022 8:24 am  #2

Re: Algonquin Park Backcountry Camping Closure - April 1 to May 12, 2022.

My first booked trip is May 14th,  I noticed this year when I booked my trip the park is a lot busier this year.  I think everyone is sick of pandemic restrictions and winter, just like I am.  Looking forward to ice out and getting the canoe in the water!!

4/03/2022 9:16 am  #3

Remember the days when keeping the customer happy was more important than keeping the laywers happy.
Sigh.....

4/03/2022 5:01 pm  #4

Seems to be unclear on whether they open prior to that date if the ice goes out? Tried reading between the lines but my glasses are a bit dirty.

4/03/2022 8:00 pm  #5

While it's a bit more complicated than that, they open prior to that date if the ice goes out. That said, there are no signs of an early ice out. We are a couple of weeks behind where we were last year.

4/03/2022 10:03 pm  #6

I was prepared to quickly set up a reservation when ice out was declared and take my chances getting my desired route.  Assumed trip would start around May 8th.  The next date I am available after the 12th  and my route is available is May 23rd so that's what it will be.  That's very close to bug in.  Crud.

On the positive side, this site is where I found out about the notice, which enabled me to set up a reservation before any opportunity disappeared.....so I'm grateful...even though I will probably become Purina Fly-Chow.

4/04/2022 8:57 am  #7

MartinG wrote:

While it's a bit more complicated than that, they open prior to that date if the ice goes out. That said, there are no signs of an early ice out. We are a couple of weeks behind where we were last year.

True but last year was an unusually early ice out. It still looks like this year will be an earlier than average ice out with looking at the forecast over the next 2 weeks. I'd be willing to bet that the park is open by spring trout opener.

4/04/2022 9:19 am  #8

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

I was prepared to quickly set up a reservation when ice out was declared and take my chances getting my desired route. Assumed trip would start around May 8th. The next date I am available after the 12th and my route is available is May 23rd so that's what it will be. That's very close to bug in. Crud.

On the positive side, this site is where I found out about the notice, which enabled me to set up a reservation before any opportunity disappeared.....so I'm grateful...even though I will probably become Purina Fly-Chow.

I wouldn't give up on a May 8th camping trip just yet. The long-term forecast is looking pretty solid right now, so there's plenty of ice melting weather coming. But as ice-out will be average to late this year, I also wouldn't expect you to have too many bug problems on a May 23rd trip... depending on how long you're going to be out there I suppose!

4/04/2022 3:08 pm  #9

OTCanadienne wrote:

MartinG wrote:

True but last year was an unusually early ice out. It still looks like this year will be an earlier than average ice out with looking at the forecast over the next 2 weeks. I'd be willing to bet that the park is open by spring trout opener.

You never can tell these things, but I think April 23rd park opening will be tough. 

4/15/2022 8:02 am  #10

I'm sure I'm not the only one regularly checking the lake of two rivers image, but I must say things look promising to me, lots of melting/deterioration of ice quality this week.

I'm hoping for first backcountry trip in to Algonquin for Apr 25. Hoping that backcountry camping will open up by then, if not I'll setup base with car camping & do day trip fishing.

Looking forward to spring fishing this year, can't lock us down for a 3rd year! No way I'm staying home this spring.

4/16/2022 8:17 am  #11

Rob wrote:

Remember the days when keeping the customer happy was more important than keeping the laywers happy.
Sigh.....

It's about far more than "keeping the laywers happy"....
It's mainly to prevent erosion on portages, trails, and campsites, allow annual maintenance, and to cut down on rescues and possible need for medical intervention when some unprepared person goes for an unplanned swim in 33 degree water...

4/16/2022 9:14 am  #12

scoutergriz wrote:

Rob wrote:

Sigh.....

It's about far more than "keeping the laywers happy"....
It's mainly to prevent erosion on portages, trails, and campsites, allow annual maintenance, and to cut down on rescues and possible need for medical intervention when some unprepared person goes for an unplanned swim in 33 degree water...

I disagree. The Park has been opening the third Sat in April for as long as I can remember - perhaps that's not saying much with my aging poor memory. But the point is, the newly adopted May opening sprang up with Covid.  Although I don't disagree with your opinion on the reduced impact on the Park, it wasn't implemented "mainly" to prevent anything except to align with the provincial rules. I think there's an argument that could be made that the OMNR has simply taken advantage of this as a means to adopt a flexible seasonal date to manage the spring opener more effectively, including the reasons you outlined above. And to be crystal clear, I have no issue with this at all. Like you, I feel the flexible opening will have a positive impact on the Park.

4/16/2022 9:23 am  #13

Swift Fifteen wrote:

... The Park has been opening the third Sat in April for as long as I can remember ...

No.  In the past, the park never closed.

4/16/2022 3:45 pm  #14

rgcmce wrote:

Swift Fifteen wrote:

... The Park has been opening the third Sat in April for as long as I can remember ...

What do you mean, "No"?  Did you bother to read my entire comment?  "..as long as I can remember"  Despite the fact you skipped over that part, do you have anything else to contribute?

4/16/2022 7:12 pm  #15

Swift Fifteen wrote:

rgcmce wrote:

Swift Fifteen wrote:

What do you mean, "No"?  Did you bother to read my entire comment?  "..as long as I can remember"  Despite the fact you skipped over that part, do you have anything else to contribute?

I guess I'm a little taken aback by your response.  I may be getting on but my memory is not failing to the extent that I can't remember a few years back.  I would have thought that someone younger could do better than that.  The critical change happened in about 2011 when John Winters retired as Park Superintendent.  The nanny state ensued a year or two later.  Here's a description of me enjoying my mid April birthday in the Park in 2012 ( https://mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20120413.html )

So my apologies if you feel I did not read your post.  I really did; I just asumed you could remember back ten years.  Obviously I was wrong.

4/17/2022 12:42 pm  #16

SeekingSolitude wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one regularly checking the lake of two rivers image, but I must say things look promising to me, lots of melting/deterioration of ice quality this week.

I'm hoping for first backcountry trip in to Algonquin for Apr 25. Hoping that backcountry camping will open up by then, if not I'll setup base with car camping & do day trip fishing.

Looking forward to spring fishing this year, can't lock us down for a 3rd year! No way I'm staying home this spring.

My understanding is that trout opener in Algonquin is the last saturday in April, which would be April 30th this year. Am I missing something?

4/17/2022 2:54 pm  #17

Opens at 00:01 on the 4th Saturday of April. This year that’s the 23rd.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.