You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2022 1:28 am  #1

Best time for brook trout in May?

Anyone know the best time to catch brook trout in May? Would it be just after ice out, or after black flies have hatched?

3/19/2022 6:09 am  #2

Re: Best time for brook trout in May?

After the hatch.

3/19/2022 5:43 pm  #3

Before the hatch but after the water warms up a bit. Once the hatches pick up there is lots of food available and I find the fishing drops off. 

3/19/2022 6:49 pm  #4

Hmmm... paddling out to the backcountry on the weekend of the 21st. Never caught brook trout before.

I guess if ice out is late April/early May, there may be several hatches by the time I get there.

3/19/2022 8:12 pm  #5

Maybe someone can corroborate...

I find that specks in rivers, at the right time of year (ice-out to end of June) are ravenous. If there's a fish there it will bite. In lakes/calm bodies, much less so. You could be fishing for an hour with nary a nibble, and then bam - supper bell rings and one after the other.

Somewhere between the 2 is my favourite: early evening, just before sundown, fishing a deep woods beaver pond with a bobber, a flask, and a smoke.

3/20/2022 5:24 pm  #6

Appreciate everyone's opinion.

Anyone think it's a good idea to attach a dry fly lure on a spinning reel?

3/20/2022 6:34 pm  #7

50 degree f. or 10 c. is the temp zone,,, 
        dry fly on a spin reel is too lite for a proper presentation,, small spinners and spoons work very well. 
     do not forget to try and fish barbless, easier to release the fish,,

3/20/2022 6:56 pm  #8

swedish pimple wrote:

,,,dry fly on a spin reel is too lite for a proper presentation,,,

and the lack of weight would cause a nasty bird's nest.

3/21/2022 7:45 am  #9

brookchase wrote:

Appreciate everyone's opinion.

Anyone think it's a good idea to attach a dry fly lure on a spinning reel?

I do it all the time, you just need to use a "spinning bubble"- a float that can be filled with water. As  long as there's sufficient airspace left to allow it to float it'll act as a casting weight
pretty good tutorial here-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9BrJbALZzM

3/21/2022 2:43 pm  #10

scoutergriz wrote:

I do it all the time, you just need to use a "spinning bubble"- a float that can be filled with water. As  long as there's sufficient airspace left to allow it to float it'll act as a casting weight
pretty good tutorial here-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9BrJbALZzM

Never knew about spinning bubbles, pretty cool! Thanks.
I hate bird's nest, but I guess there won't be an issue with it here. I'll probably get some braid to replace the mono I have as a main line anyway.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.