You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2022 8:22 pm  #35

Re: Backcountry Site Closures for 2022

the infrastructure is already in place along the algonquin highway corridor,, it is called car camping,, permitted sites are available for people with " some degree of physical limitations"  although that is open for interpretation.  safety is a over riding priority ,,, do you not agree?
   jon,,, you thought that the p.c.i. inventory was a great tool for people to help recognize a suitable campsite,, perhaps we need a portage scouting reports as well , we gotta know what is over that next hill?  

Last edited by swedish pimple (2/25/2022 8:47 pm)

2/25/2022 8:54 pm  #36

swedish pimple wrote:

the infrastructure is already in place along the algonquin highway corridor,, it is called car camping,, permitted sites are available for people with " some degree of physical limitations"  although that is open for interpretation.  safety is a over riding priority ,,, do you not agree?

Swede, are you suggesting that the back country at APP is no place for those with  mobility challenges? That the reasonable accomodation is....front country car-camping? That your right to camp wherever the hell you feel like - whether you booked it or not - trumps all who need PREDICTABILITY in the site they choose (mobility issues, kids, number of tent sites) or want accountability in how sites are treated? That PCI is just a joke that we let Barry play around with? Just wow!

2/25/2022 8:56 pm  #37

swedish pimple wrote:

jon,,, you thought that the p.c.i. inventory was a great tool for people to help recognize a suitable campsite,, perhaps we need a portage scouting reports as well , we gotta know what is over that next hill?  

Hey Einstein, what does the P in PCI stand for? Wait for it............ahhhhhh, there you go lol

2/25/2022 8:59 pm  #38

EddyTurn wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

I don’t see a massive difference between lake specific and site specific reservations.

There's one big difference: if you are forced for some reason to camp on a lake, which you didn't book (and considering one is in the wilderness, it could happen to anyone any time) - in former case it could be reasonably done; in latter there's a good chance that someone will arrive who has properly booked this site - and then what?

I guess you do what happens today. You ask someone to share the site since you know, you’re stuck. Or you camp at the portage. Both are done probably every weekend of July and august.

2/25/2022 9:04 pm  #39

Shocked at the entitled here who don't appreciate that those with physical disabilities and children should be reasonably accommodated even if it means you lose a bit of your FLEXIBILITY and entitlement to camp wherever the hell you'd like, booked or not...upstanding citizens all lol...change is a coming my troglodyte friends and you're not going to like it thanks for your input into the process though....Barry and those here that showed some balance and understanding of our challenges, we will follow up with you separately....ciao

Last edited by goneagainjon (2/25/2022 9:07 pm)

2/25/2022 9:06 pm  #40

Jdbonney wrote:

EddyTurn wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

I don’t see a massive difference between lake specific and site specific reservations.

There's one big difference: if you are forced for some reason to camp on a lake, which you didn't book (and considering one is in the wilderness, it could happen to anyone any time) - in former case it could be reasonably done; in latter there's a good chance that someone will arrive who has properly booked this site - and then what?

I guess you do what happens today. You ask someone to share the site since you know, you’re stuck. Or you camp at the portage. Both are done probably every weekend of July and august.

Exactly! But stop confusing the dinosaurs here with common sense!  Lol

2/25/2022 9:08 pm  #41

2/25/2022 9:57 pm  #42

jon ,, please,, intellect over emotions,,,try breathing into a paper bag for a few minutes.

Last edited by swedish pimple (2/25/2022 10:04 pm)

2/25/2022 9:58 pm  #43

2/25/2022 10:00 pm  #44

Love it and couldn't agree more! But there is no family here for them to entertain... so who are they trying to impress? Who are they who attack those of us that require accomodations and mock Barry's PCI initiative? Simply put?  Each other of course..the good 'ole boys here who think they own the park..we all know who these angry old dinosaurs are...s%e&e, u€€a, and others...and they love playing to one another and ganging up on any opinions that threaten them, their sense of entitlement and the status quo...we've all seen them shout down others with whom they disagree - those that advocate for growth and progress and inclusion....think their outdated views re access will withstand this court challenge? Lmao, ok

Last edited by goneagainjon (2/25/2022 10:35 pm)

2/25/2022 10:10 pm  #45

goneagainjon wrote:

Love it and couldn't agree more! But there is no family here for them to entertain... so who are they trying to impress? Who are they who attack those of us that require accomodations and mock Barry's PCI initiative? Simply put?  Each other of course..the good 'ole boys here who think they own the park..we all know who these angry old dinosaurs are...s%e&e, u€€a, and others...and they love playing to one another and ganging up on any opinions that threaten them, their sense of entitlement and the status quo...we've all seen them shout down others with whom they disagree - those that advocate for growth and progress and inclusion....think they're outdated views re access will withstand this court challenge? Lmao, ok

Nailed it.

2/25/2022 10:12 pm  #46

swedish pimple wrote:

jon ,, please,, intellect over emotions,,,try breathing into a paper bag for a few minutes.

Lol, I couldn't possibly be calmer...it's easy when your goal is to advocate for access for those of us with physical challenges...we care not for the status quo and those telling us we're not welcome in your world...namaste...try finding your soul and some compassion, you might find it enlightening

2/25/2022 10:19 pm  #47

Jdbonney wrote:

goneagainjon wrote:

Love it and couldn't agree more! But there is no family here for them to entertain... so who are they trying to impress? Who are they who attack those of us that require accomodations and mock Barry's PCI initiative? Simply put?  Each other of course..the good 'ole boys here who think they own the park..we all know who these angry old dinosaurs are...s%e&e, u€€a, and others...and they love playing to one another and ganging up on any opinions that threaten them, their sense of entitlement and the status quo...we've all seen them shout down others with whom they disagree - those that advocate for growth and progress and inclusion....think they're outdated views re access will withstand this court challenge? Lmao, ok

Nailed it.

Thank you my friend...I've never met Barry but  but my sense he is a good and pragmatic man who truly cares about the park and issues like fair and reasonable access...he has also no doubt had lots of interactions with Uppa and swedish pimple...i highly doubt he's unaware that many of us know what hotheads they are and how they love to bully us and shout diwn we newer members who don't support their views...they run roughshod over the chats here...not sure why they feel so angry and threatened tbh

2/25/2022 10:30 pm  #48

Uppa and swedish pimple, are you willing to 'unveil' yourselves and share your real nanes and views with us? Just a friendly chit-chat about APP and your ideas...Send me a private message and we'll set something up

2/26/2022 8:31 am  #49

Polarization of positions and misrepresentation of opinions unfortunately creeps into many discussions these days. The creation of the PCI was a personal effort originally involving feedback from just one other. I had been feeling the increased effects of arthritis as a 'limiting factor' and was starting to look for 'accommodating' campsites and insight about various portages. Since many of us will have children and we all 'get old' eventually, as a 73 year old, I consider it a useful resource. 

Can we please refocus on my original comments .. "If the previously mentioned new park backcountry campsite inventory is intended to identify 'better campsites', and the lakes where they are located .. then maybe management is hoping to establish 'primary campsites' suitable for larger groups .. with better accessibility, numerous tent pads, levelness, etc. .. suitable for multi-generational families and with site-specific reservations. I could see this resulting in two-tier campsite standards, different fee structure, different map symbols, and a two-tiered reservation system? Any insight or opinions?"

2/26/2022 3:31 pm  #50

goneagainjon wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

goneagainjon wrote:

Nailed it.

Thank you my friend...I've never met Barry but  but my sense he is a good and pragmatic man who truly cares about the park and issues like fair and reasonable access...he has also no doubt had lots of interactions with Uppa and swedish pimple...i highly doubt he's unaware that many of us know what hotheads they are and how they love to bully us and shout diwn we newer members who don't support their views...they run roughshod over the chats here...not sure why they feel so angry and threatened tbh

Presumably never seen that meme then.

2/27/2022 7:02 am  #51

swedish pimple wrote:

Seriously???
you've met me many years ago and KNOW I'm partially paralyzed, yet STILL manage to trip regularly. To say those disabled spots are sufficient is insulting and demeaning. Algonquin is for ALL users, not just the able bodied, and literally has nothing to do with the topic on hand- to book by lake or site. Barry's PCI project is no different than the hundreds of bloggers out there that review different sites, except by scope, and has little to do with the changing face of regulations, all it does is provide a detailed description of each site and lets the user decide if it's suitable for them, that won't change one bit as the decision to use that site is still YOURS, whether you proceed to the site to pick it or have to pick from a map...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.