You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2022 1:43 pm  #1

Camp saw recommendations

Hi friends, looking for advice re: a good all-round camp saw...not crazy high-tech and uber expensive...people in videos seem to use something that looks like a hack-saw although I'm sure the blade is different and good for cutting wood....thanks all!

2/16/2022 3:40 pm  #2

Re: Camp saw recommendations

I picked up an Agawa saw last year.  I took it on its inaugural trip last fall.  I bought the boreal21.  I really like it.  A very sturdy saw, easy to setup.  Highly recommended.

2/16/2022 4:41 pm  #3

I've used a few hacksaw type saws over the years (I have not tried the Boreal21, of which I have heard good things), but eventually switched to a Silky Pocketboy 170. It's smaller and lighter and definitely gets the job done for anything I want to cut. 

2/16/2022 5:27 pm  #4

I have the Sawvivor -- not sure if it's still made. Handy little thing but not a lengthy blade at all.

I then transitioned to a non-foldering Crappy tire saw. Effective, but... non-folding.

Bought the Agawa Boreal 21 a couple of months ago. Looking forward to trying it.

As an (unnecessary) aside, I stopped bringing saws on my trips. Most wood I burn is dropped pine limbs. We scavenge enough to last the few hours we need, break it "by hand", and that's it for wood processing. With the onset of winter camping trips, I figured I'd need to start using one again -- that's where I heard about the Agawa brand. It seemed to be highly recommended in my winter camping groups. It definitely feels sturdy.

2/16/2022 5:28 pm  #5

captainchaos2000 wrote:

I picked up an Agawa saw last year.  I took it on its inaugural trip last fall.  I bought the boreal21.  I really like it.  A very sturdy saw, easy to setup.  Highly recommended.

Many thanks captainchaos2000!

2/16/2022 5:29 pm  #6

Uppa wrote:

I've used a few hacksaw type saws over the years (I have not tried the Boreal21, of which I have heard good things), but eventually switched to a Silky Pocketboy 170. It's smaller and lighter and definitely gets the job done for anything I want to cut. 

Many thanks Uppa!

2/16/2022 5:33 pm  #7

Zemantics wrote:

I have the Sawvivor -- not sure if it's still made. Handy little thing but not a lengthy blade at all.

I then transitioned to a non-foldering Crappy tire saw. Effective, but... non-folding.

Bought the Agawa Boreal 21 a couple of months ago. Looking forward to trying it.

As an (unnecessary) aside, I stopped bringing saws on my trips. Most wood I burn is dropped pine limbs. We scavenge enough to last the few hours we need, break it "by hand", and that's it for wood processing. With the onset of winter camping trips, I figured I'd need to start using one again -- that's where I heard about the Agawa brand. It seemed to be highly recommended in my winter camping groups. It definitely feels sturdy.

Many thanks Zemantics!

2/16/2022 6:04 pm  #8

Zemantics wrote:

I agree with most of this. I have a Sawvivor and an Agawa 21(for winter). They're both fine. Not sure why there is so much fuss over the Agawa. The design is cool. No parts to lose. I have standard blade and find myself cutting a lot of soft wood. It's nothing special. Since switched over to a chainsaw for winter.

Summer trips, most of the time I take a Corona Razortooth. It's way more aggressive than the Boreal 21. Smaller, lighter. Bought it on sale at Lowe's for $12.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/hand-pruning-saws/corona-razortooth-10-in-folding-pruning-saw-10452

2/16/2022 6:25 pm  #9

MartinG wrote:

Zemantics wrote:

I agree with most of this. I have a Sawvivor and an Agawa 21(for winter). They're both fine. Not sure why there is so much fuss over the Agawa. The design is cool. No parts to lose. I have standard blade and find myself cutting a lot of soft wood. It's nothing special. Since switched over to a chainsaw for winter.

Summer trips, most of the time I take a Corona Razortooth. It's way more aggressive than the Boreal 21. Smaller, lighter. Bought it on sale at Lowe's for $12.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/hand-pruning-saws/corona-razortooth-10-in-folding-pruning-saw-10452

Many thanks MartinG! Appears to be out of stock at Lowes but is available on Amazon for about $45

2/16/2022 6:28 pm  #10

Wait till spring it always goes on sale.

2/17/2022 12:32 pm  #11

If you go with the Agawa saw the more aggressive blade they sell (Sidney Rancher II)is better then the standard one.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/17/2022 4:39 pm  #12

ShawnD wrote:

If you go with the Agawa saw the more aggressive blade they sell (Sidney Rancher II)is better then the standard one.

Thanks!

2/18/2022 1:41 pm  #13

Like uppa, I've settled on silky.  They also have different blades for those who want a faster, rougher cut.

2/18/2022 2:29 pm  #14

keg wrote:

Like uppa, I've settled on silky.  They also have different blades for those who want a faster, rougher cut.

Thanks keg!

2/18/2022 3:49 pm  #15

Search SULUK 46 online. This guy has some pretty impressive designs for saws, stoves and many ultralightweight camp accessories . He also has YouTube channel. If the handle sounds familiar, he's the same guy that completed a version of Meanest Link By bike this past summer . Some cool videos online .

All that said we don't really brings saws or hatchets any longer either. One of us may have a cheap folding saw from CT or Gerber but not really seen as necessary on most of our trips outside of winter .

Last edited by Shayne74 (2/18/2022 3:52 pm)

2/18/2022 4:02 pm  #16

Shayne74 wrote:

Search SULUK 46 online. This guy has some pretty impressive designs for saws, stoves and many ultralightweight camp accessories . He also has YouTube channel. If the handle sounds familiar, he's the same guy that completed a version of Meanest Link By bike this past summer . Some cool videos online .

All that said we don't really brings saws or hatchets any longer either. One of us may have a cheap folding saw from CT or Gerber but not really seen as necessary on most of our trips outside of winter .

Thanks Shayne74!

2/22/2022 5:35 pm  #17

I've tried almost every brand and folding saw out there including the Boreal, Bahco, Sawvivor, Silky, Dustrude, even had one of those red tube flimsy saws many many years ago - mine said Yamaha on the side. I'm pretty sure it was a gift or I won it. I also used an Erwin 15" (which I really liked) for a couple summers. Unfortunately a 15" conventional wood saw didn't fit in my pack that well. But I've learned many lessons along the way, and the bottom line is I now have three choices;

1. When weight is not really an issue I take the Silky BB 2000.  The best cutting blade out there, imho. Not too big, not too small, and it really gets the job done. Many options to choose from including different blade options.

2. When packing light I take the Bahco Laplander.  Very sharp, compact, and durable.  I've had mine for around 16 years and it hasn't failed me. I often fasten it to a long limb and use it to clear branches and small limbs when deer hunting. You can find them in orange or dark green.  Did I mention it's sharp?

3. When packing very light, I don't bring a saw or an axe, just my belt knife. Dead branches and wrist sized limbs are easily dealt with, or using the method of two trees close together to break limbs down.

So many choices out there, but those are mine based on my personal experience.  Good luck

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.