You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2022 1:52 pm  #1

Kayak paddle for canoeing?? Recommendations?

Hi friends, looking for advice re: a decent kayak paddle for canoeing...my canoe is a Souris River Quetico 17 and I'm usually tandem paddling and in the stern...I hope I'm not a heretic for asking, just looking to explore the idea for speed and efficiency on open water (especially when windy)...I.will still bring my carbon fibre canoe paddle on trips...I understand that the kayak would need to be quite long for canoe paddling - like 250cm?!? - and ideally allow the "feathering" to be adjusted Thanks all.

2/15/2022 3:50 pm  #2

Re: Kayak paddle for canoeing?? Recommendations?

In my solo and in the stern of my Keewaydin 16, I use a 240cm Werner Kalliste bent shaft. It works great! If I were to turn the tandem boat around and paddle it solo from the bow seat 240cm might be a little short. Sometimes, I wonder if I would benefit from a 250cm paddle. But 250cm is typically special order. No deals to be had on them. I got my Kalliste on clearance. no way I would pay the eye watering prices for a top end carbon paddle.

2/15/2022 4:12 pm  #3

We have a Souris River Prospector 16, and when I turn it around to solo, I often use a 240cm paddle I got on sale a few years ago at MEC. I wouldn't say it gives me a lot more speed, but it does provide much better control on windy open water. I agree with MartinG, a little longer paddle would probably be better, but I couldn't justify an expensive carbon blade, and the 240cm I have is adequate.

2/15/2022 4:28 pm  #4

MartinG wrote:

In my solo and in the stern of my Keewaydin 16, I use a 240cm Werner Kalliste bent shaft. It works great! If I were to turn the tandem boat around and paddle it solo from the bow seat 240cm might be a little short. Sometimes, I wonder if I would benefit from a 250cm paddle. But 250cm is typically special order. No deals to be had on them. I got my Kalliste on clearance. no way I would pay the eye watering prices for a top end carbon paddle.

Many thanks MartinG!

2/15/2022 4:32 pm  #5

Thamesman wrote:

We have a Souris River Prospector 16, and when I turn it around to solo, I often use a 240cm paddle I got on sale a few years ago at MEC. I wouldn't say it gives me a lot more speed, but it does provide much better control on windy open water. I agree with MartinG, a little longer paddle would probably be better, but I couldn't justify an expensive carbon blade, and the 240cm I have is adequate.

Many thanks Thamesman!

Maybe a dumb question - I can't paddle my Souris River canoe backward from the bow seat when soloing as there is an aluminum thwart in the way...do people just remove this temporarily while soloing?

2/15/2022 7:00 pm  #6

goneagainjon wrote:

Many thanks Thamesman!

Maybe a dumb question - I can't paddle my Souris River canoe backward from the bow seat when soloing as there is an aluminum thwart in the way...do people just remove this temporarily while soloing?

Interesting,  looks like Souris River changed their design of the Prospector. The interior of mine looks like the current Quetico 16 model -  ie with no metal bar preventing use of the bow seat to solo.

2/16/2022 9:30 am  #7

I have owned a few.. landed on a Werner Carbon Camano adjustable 240- 260.. the adjustability is good for different boats and paddling situations. Plus I think you'll need 260cm for a boat as wide as yours. cheers

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/16/2022 2:09 pm  #8

ShawnD wrote:

I have owned a few.. landed on a Werner Carbon Camano adjustable 240- 260.. the adjustability is good for different boats and paddling situations. Plus I think you'll need 260cm for a boat as wide as yours. cheers

Many thanks ShawnD!

2/22/2022 5:47 pm  #9

X2 on the Werner Carbon adjustable. An absolute delight to paddle and carry.  The adjustable option is a bonus when in smallish streams (if it's real tight stream I'll simply switch to spare single paddle).  I extend it fully when I want to make up time or haul butt.

Note: if you buy a carbon version, or a dark color, put some bright tape on the ends that join up or in the middle of each section.  If you lose one in the middle of the lake you'll never find it.  The dark carbon blends into the dark water ESPECIALLY in those dark tea stained waters of the Park, or on an overcast day. I had this happen and couldn't see it when it was 10ft from me, only the bright tape saved the day.

I learned this lesson from a friend of mine on here. Thanks Martin! (not MartinG, a different Martin)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.