You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2021 8:02 pm  #1

a BearVault question

I've been thinking about a BearVault recently, and I've got a question I'm not seeing a clear answer to.

Do you still have to hang a food barrel?  I have used a Sea to Summit bag as a food sack for several years, I hang it overnight (a hateful chore).  I've never had an animal big or small get after my food sack, I suppose in part due to my incredible expertise at hanging, and in part because it is mostly dry goods that don't give off much scent.  The most scented thing I will have is some bagged up orange peels or the empty rinsed pouch from dehydrated meals.

Anyway, if the idea is that you still hang it, then I'll probably stick with my food sack.  If not, then maybe a BearVault 450 or 500.  I keep thinking that if I don't hang it, the following morning I may or may not find it.

8/15/2021 8:10 pm  #2

Re: a BearVault question

I would not hang it. Beyond the outliers (Yellow Yellow and such) bears can't open a Bear Vault or carry it away. If you put it in a bag or attach a rope to it, a bear now has some purchase that would allow it to be carried away.

8/19/2021 8:02 am  #3

I used a BearVault for quite a few years and no, you don't hang it. Try to toss into into a depression or against the base of a tree or something rather than say, at the top of a slope leading down to the lake, just in case a bear does decide to bat it around a bit. 

For the record my bearvault was never anywhere but exactly where I left it. 

8/19/2021 8:18 am  #4

Thanks very much for the replies!  My concern of course was ".....my bearvault was never anywhere", and I was glad to see "but exactly where I left it."

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.