You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2021 10:36 am  #1

Option to view campsite availability again for backcountry

There's a free Chrome extension that will show total permits issued and total permits available for a given lake. It's much more user friendly than the Chrome Inspect workaround that people have been using for the last year (and it shows total permits issued too, which the other workaround didn't show).

Link to website with more info: https://sitescout.ca/

Direct link to chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sitescout/dpnpamofooaebaabfickahhobfnpeenj

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/11/2021 10:42 am  #2

Re: Option to view campsite availability again for backcountry

Thanks for the heads up Cody! Will certainly check it out. 

6/11/2021 11:22 am  #3

Definitely using this. Thanks!

6/11/2021 12:38 pm  #4

I was literally in the middle of using the chrome debugging tools on the reservations page when I saw this post - thank you. 

One thing that caught me for a loop after installing the extension. For whatever reason I've always clicked on the green triangle icon next to the lake name when selecting a lake. If you do that, this extension doesn't do anything. You have to click on the lake name itself. 

6/11/2021 12:51 pm  #5

Uppa wrote:

I was literally in the middle of using the chrome debugging tools on the reservations page when I saw this post - thank you. 

One thing that caught me for a loop after installing the extension. For whatever reason I've always clicked on the green triangle icon next to the lake name when selecting a lake. If you do that, this extension doesn't do anything. You have to click on the lake name itself. 

Thank you! I'm like you and always click on the icon. I couldn't make this work and couldn't figure out why. Works great now.

This is an awesome tool Cody!

6/11/2021 1:19 pm  #6

Thanks again to Ontario parks for their diligence in bringing this valuable tool for all of us to use.

6/11/2021 1:19 pm  #7

Ohhhhh. 600th post too. I win.

6/11/2021 10:07 pm  #8

Amazing, just bought the developers a couple coffees.

I will quote again from my March 11, 2020 email from Ontario Parks, which was a followup to my original inquiry. In other words, in early 2020, this was the second time that they lied about intending to reinstate this level of information on the booking site:

"Thank you for your response.

We want to assure you that we are working closely with our service provider to address your outlined concerns. We are unable to provide an estimated timeline for implementation of backcountry zone occupancy at this time. Thank you again for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Ontario Parks"

I'm glad someone was willing to get up and do it. Obviously it's not impossible, and it's great to have that information available again.

Last edited by nvm (6/11/2021 10:11 pm)

6/11/2021 10:29 pm  #9

nvm wrote:

Amazing, just bought the developers a couple coffees.

I will quote again from my March 11, 2020 email from Ontario Parks, which was a followup to my original inquiry. In other words, in early 2020, this was the second time that they lied about intending to reinstate this level of information on the booking site:

"Thank you for your response.

We want to assure you that we are working closely with our service provider to address your outlined concerns. We are unable to provide an estimated timeline for implementation of backcountry zone occupancy at this time. Thank you again for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Ontario Parks"

I'm glad someone was willing to get up and do it. Obviously it's not impossible.

The sad reality is that it's likely a quick and easy feature to bring back. I would think pretty much all of the table data and most of the code was migrated over to the current user interface from the old system. As the new UI has had its share of challenges, perhaps the benefit of the doubt points to this feature being assigned a low priority and put on the back burner. I can't help but wonder though if there is another rationale at play. Maybe we all need to ask more questions about site/reservation #'s on each lake of interest when we call as a way to encourage its reinstatement?

Last edited by hiker72 (6/11/2021 10:32 pm)

6/12/2021 1:34 pm  #10

hey help,,,,, i down loaded googled chrome (i am using a mac book air) and the site scout,, but i can not get the thing to actually work,, every thang is there ,,  i am lost in space?  any ideas,, thanks

6/12/2021 1:57 pm  #11

swedish pimple wrote:

hey help,,,,, i down loaded googled chrome (i am using a mac book air) and the site scout,, but i can not get the thing to actually work,, every thang is there ,,  i am lost in space?  any ideas,, thanks

Had me a mite confused too!   The trick is that when you select a lake, a rectangular box containing the lake name and number appears on the map.  Click on that box and the campsite availability information is added to the information window for that lake.

I'm super pleased with this.   I just ran through the 11 night trip we are starting next Friday and it looks like we have Lake LaMuir and Hogan all to ourselves!   However, our first and last nights on Burnt Island and South Arm Opeongo will likely be busier by the time we actually get to them.

6/12/2021 2:08 pm  #12

I spoke with the developer and the issue with clicking the green triangle vs clicking on the name of the lake is fixed, just need to wait for Google to approve the update.

algonquinbeyond.com

6/12/2021 4:39 pm  #13

Great app. Fine work!

6/16/2021 6:43 pm  #14

I'm changing a reservation and have discovered the extension doesn't work when doing that. Might want to let the developer know!

6/17/2021 9:00 pm  #15

Had issues too. I uninstalled and still had issues so it might actually be the Parks web developer.  It wouldn't let me change without deleting all the dates back to the day I wanted to change and then enter the rest of the nights again.  Worked in the end though.

Last edited by keg (6/17/2021 9:01 pm)

6/18/2021 10:37 am  #16

@Uppa - I know the developer was aware of that before release but there's a balance between making it work perfectly everywhere and the time involved. Another example would be that it doesn't work for List or Calendar view, it only works on Map view. The "go back and edit a reservation" it should still work if you refresh the page, but it's more of an outlier use case that wasn't worth investing the dev hours towards making it work seamlessly. If there's enough support for the project then he'll probably continue improving it though.

@keg - I think what you're describing has always been an issue with the Ontario Parks website (I know I've had the same frustrations in the past), unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, I don't think it has anything to do with the SiteScout extension itself

algonquinbeyond.com

6/22/2021 10:30 am  #17

I used sitescout to book my July canoe trip.  It works amazing thanks for sharing!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.