You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2021 3:31 pm  #52

Re: Lockdown extension?

Jdbonney wrote:

I haven’t seen it written but I listened to the broadcast and they seemed
To be saying that we needed to wait 2 weeks after the 60% threshold so that all of that 60% have the benefit of the vaccine as it takes about 2-3 weeks to build up after the jab. I think they expect the 60% by end of may and then on or about June 14 is when all of those people will have some protection from the vaccine.

Ah, that makes sense.

5/20/2021 4:04 pm  #53

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

To be saying that we needed to wait 2 weeks after the 60% threshold so that all of that 60% have the benefit of the vaccine as it takes about 2-3 weeks to build up after the jab. I think they expect the 60% by end of may and then on or about June 14 is when all of those people will have some protection from the vaccine.

Ah, that makes sense.

At the current vaccination rate i estimate we should hit 60% on or around May 26th.  Their estimate of on or around June 14 makes sense, maybe a little sooner even.

5/20/2021 4:07 pm  #54

While I believe camping, especially backcountry camping, could be opened sooner it is at least gratifying to see the vaccination numbers steadily climbing and the daily new cases steadily dropping.

5/20/2021 6:31 pm  #55

Bunting76 wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Jdbonney wrote:

Ah, that makes sense.

At the current vaccination rate i estimate we should hit 60% on or around May 26th.  Their estimate of on or around June 14 makes sense, maybe a little sooner even.

Agree. I think they’re being a bit conservative with the 14th; which given the circumstances is reasonable. This is a pretty solid plan with some timelines that give people hope. You’ll never make everyone happy.

5/20/2021 6:48 pm  #56

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

From the Globe article on Ontario's reopening plan:

The first step, which the province estimates could begin by June 14, requires 60 per cent of adults to be vaccinated with one dose. Ontario has already hit 57.6 per cent of first doses.  

We are vaccinating 150 000 per day. That number is growing every day. There are 14 500 000 people in Ontario. Yesterday 57.6% of the population has been vaccinated. Based on those number we will hit 60% on Saturday.

5/20/2021 8:04 pm  #57

Well, there goes my solo hiking plans I was confident would happen. Remaining hopeful that the late July canoe plans will at least go ahead...

5/21/2021 6:05 pm  #58

I have a reservation starting June 3 and just received this "maybe yes, maybe no" email from Ontario Parks:

Dear reservation holder,

This email is regarding your upcoming reservation with Ontario Parks.

Ontario recently announced a reopening plan, Roadmap to Reopen, a three-step plan to safely and cautiously reopen the province and gradually lift public health measures based on the provincewide vaccination rate and improvements in key public health and health care indicators.

Step One of the roadmap may begin after 60 per cent of Ontario’s adults receive at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and if public health indicators, such as hospitalizations, ICU occupancy and new admissions and case rates indicate the province can safely move to this step of the roadmap.

As part of Step One, Ontario Parks will be reopening overnight accommodations.

You have an overnight reservation between June 3-June 14, 2021, however, we don’t know the exact timing that the province will move to Step One. Therefore, we are writing to notify you that your reservation may be cancelled as a result of public health measures if we have not entered Step One at that time.

If your reservation is affected, you will be notified in advance of your arrival date, and your reservation will be automatically cancelled. You will receive a full refund. If you wish to cancel your reservation arriving anytime up to June 30, 2021, Ontario Parks will provide a full refund. Reservation and penalty fees will not apply.

Currently, Ontario Parks remains open for day use and continues to provide facilities and services to support local and safe activities like walking and hiking. Please check www.OntarioParks.com for a list of available activities.

We know how much our customers love spending their vacation and leisure time with us, and we look forward to welcoming our overnight campers back to park spaces when it is safe to do so. The safety of our visitors and staff will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,
Ontario Parks

5/21/2021 6:43 pm  #59

I have a trip planned for June 11-12-13th. It has been hard enough to get a reservation but harder to keep them these days! If they stick to the 14th that will be trip number 3 cancelled!!!

5/21/2021 7:46 pm  #60

Austin.M wrote:

I have a trip planned for June 11-12-13th. It has been hard enough to get a reservation but harder to keep them these days! If they stick to the 14th that will be trip number 3 cancelled!!!

You might be ok. Hopefully all goes well and they are able to open a bit earlier.

5/21/2021 9:08 pm  #61

Jdbonney wrote:

Austin.M wrote:

You might be ok. Hopefully all goes well and they are able to open a bit earlier.

I feel like you’re right. As someone mentioned we should hit the 60% marl by this weekend (hopefully) and then the 2 week countdown is on!
Looking forwards to my first overnight trip of many this summer and fall. Hopefully everyone else’s plans aren’t impacted too much!!

5/22/2021 8:42 am  #62

Well, this is all clear as mud.

There is an ‘at least 21 days' moving between stages but nothing explicitly states that this applies before moving into Stage 1. However, I feel this is implied as it aligns with the June 14 target date based on 60% vaccination rate being attained this weekend. Under this assumption, if the 60% target is hit today, the absolute earliest Ontario Parks may open would be June 12th.

I really, really hope I'm wrong here...

Last edited by hiker72 (5/22/2021 9:06 am)

5/22/2021 8:43 am  #63

take lots and lots of bug spray/ deet, ,, the weather egg heads are claiming that this is a very bad spring for mosquitoes and black flies,, the spring weather patterns are to blame.  where white clothes and take a bug hat!! vitamin B 1 helps too. 
  my next reservation starts june 6th,, i have had 2 cancelled so far.  

5/24/2021 8:58 am  #64

I just received the same template email that Thamesman posted above for my June 4 start date.  Also my third date cancelled but the first one in Algonquin.  

5/28/2021 5:33 pm  #65

Has anyone had their reservation from June 3 onwards cancelled yet? Not sure what OP is waiting for. Are they just going to cancel reservations the day of if we haven't entered Phase 1 of the reopening? Or, are they waiting until June 2 (day the lock down officially ends) to make an announcement?

I have a trip starting on the 4th on Crown land. Don't actually get into the park until the 7th. Very awkward.

Last edited by MartinG (5/28/2021 5:54 pm)

5/29/2021 10:02 am  #66

It just means the Ontario government has told Ontario Parks exactly what they've told us - jack and squat. Ontario Parks probably doesn't want to cancel thousands of reservations to have Douggie call a press conference the next day and announce parks can reopen immediately. 

My June 3rd trip has not yet been cancelled, but it certainly will be. 

5/29/2021 11:55 am  #67

Just checked and they are still allowing you to book camping for May 3rd. Seems like they cancel about 3 days before the booked date. We have had half a dozen dates cancelled so far this year.

5/29/2021 2:47 pm  #68

Seems like no camping until at least the 17th…

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ont-extends-some-covid-19-orders-including-ban-on-recreational-camping-and-provincial-border-closures-1.5448156

3/5 of the trips I’ve booked have been cancelled… time to scrape the leftovers from the reservation site to hopefully book another!!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.