You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2021 11:05 am  #1

Bass Fishing

Could anyone lead me to a good area in park for bass fishing. We always go in May and like everyone else we are changing plans to a July trip. I know there's great options in southern Ontario but something about getting into Algonquin. Thank you

5/20/2021 11:15 am  #2

Re: Bass Fishing

Bass fishing in most regions opens in June I think.  Are you sure you went in May ?

5/20/2021 2:54 pm  #3

ya better check the fishing regs,, just to be sure.  ignorance is no excuse for the law!!

5/21/2021 8:36 am  #4

They didn't say they went in May nor did they say they have fished for bass when they have gone in May...   
"We always go in May and like everyone else we are changing plans to a July trip."

I have had pretty good luck for bass in the northwest corner. North Tea, Kioshkokwi, Mink.  On my July/August trips of course...  

Good luck!!

5/21/2021 9:32 am  #5

i firmly believe that bass fishing should be open all season and with not limits ,, just like quetico provincial park,, kill and bass and save a trout. i have had meetings with the top of the house in algonquin about this issue. it seems to me that fishery biologist have been ignored and with the many changes in personal /park managers in is tough to get a clear agenda.
         it is my understanding that the algonquin fishing regulations will be up dated in the next year or so. hopefully these news fishing regulations will have a positive influence for saving the trout populations.
         i think that algonquin fishing regulations have not been updated since the late 80`s very early 90`s,, it is time for a change for the better,, perhaps lowering the trout catch limits, promoting catch and release and again like quetico only barbless hooks to be used .  food for thought eh?
   bass are not native to algonquin park water. these fish were introduced via minnow pails, the use of live bait or minnow traps.
  as far as the original poster goes,, every thing is open to interpretation, " we usually go in may " is clear enough for me . perhaps k.k. could have given the readers  more detailed info to get the simple answers to stay on the right side of the law,, just saying!

5/21/2021 10:19 am  #6

Check out Linda's or Polly's just north of Canisbay. Bass all day in there...

As mentioned above, North Tea area has bass as well but it's definitely bigger water to fish. 

5/21/2021 10:27 am  #7

swedish pimple wrote:

i firmly believe that bass fishing should be open all season and with not limits ,, just like quetico provincial park,, kill and bass and save a trout. i have had meetings with the top of the house in algonquin about this issue. it seems to me that fishery biologist have been ignored and with the many changes in personal /park managers in is tough to get a clear agenda.
         it is my understanding that the algonquin fishing regulations will be up dated in the next year or so. hopefully these news fishing regulations will have a positive influence for saving the trout populations.
         i think that algonquin fishing regulations have not been updated since the late 80`s very early 90`s,, it is time for a change for the better,, perhaps lowering the trout catch limits, promoting catch and release and again like quetico only barbless hooks to be used .  food for thought eh?
   bass are not native to algonquin park water. these fish were introduced via minnow pails, the use of live bait or minnow traps.
  as far as the original poster goes,, every thing is open to interpretation, " we usually go in may " is clear enough for me . perhaps k.k. could have given the readers  more detailed info to get the simple answers to stay on the right side of the law,, just saying!

I would like to see stricter trout rules and more easing of bass rules.

5/21/2021 12:30 pm  #8

100% agree that bass fishing in Algonquin should be open all season with no limits...however, that wasn't the original question asked by the OP.

As far as interpretation, it was a little more "clear" the other way to me when I took into account the entire post instead of just "bass fishing" & "May".    My fault?? I guess for always assuming the best of intentions and answering the question of where to go bass fishing in the park in July instead of automatically assuming ignorance of the law. 

Perhaps the OP will jump in and clarify.

5/21/2021 2:12 pm  #9

Kelly, I've done well one both Booth and Islet, noticeably better on Islet I think.  Unlikely to be lakes you'd visit on the same trip though!  Next to Islet is a little lake called Hot Lake.  I always wanted to try that, but there's no campsites there.  Still, it looks like a pretty bassy little lake.

5/21/2021 5:35 pm  #10

These are pretty good

Booth
Sec
Manitou
Radiant
Cedar
Little Hay
Galeairy
Opeongo
Oxtongue River

5/21/2021 8:00 pm  #11

I can confirm Booth - specifically in the dead end where the PCI lists campsites 13 and 14. Also, Kitty right before the portage back into Farm. I don't mind catching bass, but one thinks trout when on a camping trip in the north, no? 

Last edited by scratchypants (5/21/2021 8:00 pm)

5/25/2021 11:08 am  #12

Thank you for your help and yes we go fishing for trout in May. Sorry for the confusion. I've never bass fished in the park thats why I'm looking for some direction in that area for a July trip when season opens. I'll take a look at these lakes and hopefully next year we're not locked down again for our annual May trout trip. Cheers

Last edited by Kelly_Kettle (5/25/2021 12:16 pm)

5/25/2021 8:47 pm  #13

You will definitely get some bass in those lakes.  I have had good luck with the perch pattern scented tubes for some reason in Algonquin.  Other colors not so much ...  

5/31/2021 10:45 am  #14

caught a few beauty bass on the madawaska river a few weeks back, and also scorch lake is always good for a few!

5/31/2021 1:47 pm  #15

We don't fish much but I've had good luck in Islet lake in the past.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.