You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2021 10:09 am  #1

June trips

Does anyone have a plan for June?

I experienced the bugs on Western Uplands once in June 6-10, 1998. Swore I'd never be back in June. But... 

Not related to APP, but I booked the Budd Car to run down the Spanish river for 5 days in June. 

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (4/23/2021 10:11 am)

4/23/2021 10:14 am  #2

Re: June trips

Best trip I've ever been on. Watch out for the "Graveyard Rapids"!

4/23/2021 10:17 am  #3

I am REALLY looking forward to it! was able to get an Esquif Prospecteur 17, and got it with airbags/pads/straps. Really stoked.

How were the bugs (assuming you went in June)? I'm bringing the bug shelter, and really hoping the black flies are gone by then...

4/23/2021 12:10 pm  #4

Obabika area for bass opener, potentially backpacking in QE2 first week of June if my May 21st APP reservation falls through.

4/23/2021 12:32 pm  #5

Hard to say with this early spring but typically you would be in the thick of it. Don't forget a bug jacket. Rapids might be gnarly too. I wouldn't really recommend the West Branch in June to someone who doesn't run White Water.

4/23/2021 4:50 pm  #6

Spanish was in August, I think, so bugs were not an issue (low water kind of was, but not a big deal).

I tripped the Noire in June 2016, though, and the bugs were the worst I've ever experienced. No open water and no wind!

4/24/2021 1:07 am  #7

Hey Marko, I've got a 7 day trip booked from Rock Lake and plan to explore a lot of the lakes in that area (Louisa, Galeairy, Welcome, Rence, Pen, etc - not necessarily in that order).  We exit the park on June 20.  I've been heading into the park mid June for years now... not sure why my buddy and I are such gluttons for punishment but we do have a good time (maybe it's the fantastic fishing ;-) 

4/24/2021 7:16 am  #8

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Does anyone have a plan for June?

I experienced the bugs on Western Uplands once in June 6-10, 1998. Swore I'd never be back in June. But... 

Not related to APP, but I booked the Budd Car to run down the Spanish river for 5 days in June. 

Ah, this brings back memories of a couple late May/early June trips on the WUT before it became overrun - on the plus side, the trails were VERY quiet aside from the incessant humming of mosquitoes and black flies. Seeing the trails fully booked at the height of bug season has me questioning how many will stick it out or bail. I plan to hike the Killarney loop June 8-11 - my Algonquin canoe trip starting at Cedar is planned for the first week in August, so that will no doubt be a treat in comparison!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.