You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2021 3:57 pm  #1

may 20 th opener on friends of algonquin park update sat apr 17th

.friends of algonquin states on website opener may 20th,,, all gobernment sites state may 14th opener,,, w.t.f.

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/19/2021 9:34 am)

4/19/2021 7:18 pm  #2

Re: may 20 th opener on friends of algonquin park update sat apr 17th

When are they issuing our refunds?
They have had my cash far too long already 😡

4/19/2021 7:28 pm  #3

Last lockdown, they kept the park closed for 2 weeks after the provinces opened up. Unreal.

4/19/2021 8:03 pm  #4

6 week lockdown. Do the math.

4/19/2021 10:54 pm  #5

The original 4-week shut down was announced on April 1, effective April 3:

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/60986/ontario-implements-provincewide-emergency-brake

it was for 4 weeks. that would take us to May 1.

then extended for 2 weeks. that would be May 15.

Now we are talking like May 20 was the plan all along. that will be 7 weeks from the original announcement.

To be clear, I am IN FAVOUR of a shutdown, the COVID cases are spiraling out of control. But the lack of resolute action (paid sick leave, leaving most high-risk workplaces open, allowing unrestricted international travel) has led us to this mess of prolonged misery.

Furthermore, after the lifting of the last lockdown, Algonquin did not reopen for two weeks. Again, prolongation of misery for no benefit to any public health whatsoever.

I guess that's my frustration.

4/20/2021 5:57 am  #6

They’re basing it off the stay at home order, which was effective April 8, not the initial shutdown from a few days earlier. That’s how they get May 20 because that’s the earliest the stay at home order will be lifted according to the government’s timeline.

4/20/2021 6:33 am  #7

Imagine a Stanley Cup Finals game in the Leaf's Scotiabank arena filled to capacity.  Everyone in that arena is now dead.  For game 2 only a third of the fans show up.  They are now dead too.  

That's how many people have died in Canada.  Many of them alone.  Without seeing a spouse, children or siblings; without the comfort of a family member even present.  

Last April Canada was averaging around 1,000 new cases per day.  This April it is likely north of 6,000 new cases every day. 

Nobody likes the situation for sure - the uncertainty, the limitations, the cancellations, the date changes, the miscommunications.  These are difficult decisions and complex scenarios that must be accounted for and these are merely people who are trying to do their best under very difficult conditions.  Imagine if all of us were under that kind of scrutiny for every decision and statement we make...

I've always admired Canadian's for their polite and considerate manners.  Don't let the stress of a virus turn you into rude, offensive, complaining Americans!  (I'm an American, by the way) ;-)  At least we are here and able to plan or just daydream about a canoe trip.

4/20/2021 7:14 am  #8

PaPaddler wrote:

Imagine a Stanley Cup Finals game in the Leaf's Scotiabank arena filled to capacity.  Everyone in that arena is now dead.  For game 2 only a third of the fans show up.  They are now dead too.  

That's how many people have died in Canada.  Many of them alone.  Without seeing a spouse, children or siblings; without the comfort of a family member even present.  

Last April Canada was averaging around 1,000 new cases per day.  This April it is likely north of 6,000 new cases every day. 

Nobody likes the situation for sure - the uncertainty, the limitations, the cancellations, the date changes, the miscommunications.  These are difficult decisions and complex scenarios that must be accounted for and these are merely people who are trying to do their best under very difficult conditions.  Imagine if all of us were under that kind of scrutiny for every decision and statement we make...

I've always admired Canadian's for their polite and considerate manners.  Don't let the stress of a virus turn you into rude, offensive, complaining Americans!  (I'm an American, by the way) ;-)  At least we are here and able to plan or just daydream about a canoe trip.

Well said, Pa

Dave

4/20/2021 7:38 am  #9

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

They’re basing it off the stay at home order, which was effective April 8, not the initial shutdown from a few days earlier. That’s how they get May 20 because that’s the earliest the stay at home order will be lifted according to the government’s timeline.

Exactly

4/20/2021 7:40 am  #10

PaPaddler wrote:

We'll said

4/20/2021 7:56 am  #11

Well, I just made a booking starting May 21st. A week of mosquitoes and black flies, or a week of staying home because I'm still not allowed to go camping. 

I'm not sure which option I'm rooting for right now ;). 

4/20/2021 8:10 am  #12

PaPaddler wrote:

Imagine a Stanley Cup Finals game in the Leaf's Scotiabank arena filled to capacity. 

As a Leafs fan, imagining a Stanley Cup game at Scotiabank is about as close as we will get to one anyway.  

All good points Pa.  I'm hopeful things will take a positive turn over the next month and we can get back to paddling in June. 

4/20/2021 8:56 am  #13

the ontario parks reservation website  still  does not reflect the new governement shut date until may 20,, the screen is blacked out before may 14th, but no up dates,,
      perhaps the powers that be will consider this  as an essential out door activity that people are looking for and that the mental health officials claim is good for us all, as long as the protocols are followed??? just saying!

4/21/2021 12:23 pm  #14

@ TripperMike don't lose hope.  They are stacked and they're in a good position to go deep...oozing talent and have some great leaders in that mix.  Hopefully you have to cope with making paddling plans around playoff schedules!

4/21/2021 4:52 pm  #15

I don't see them opening the park just before the long weekend... good luck with that.

4/21/2021 5:36 pm  #16

I think there's a 50-50 chance they open it earlier. Doug is getting a lot of pressure to allow outdoor activities. And they haven't yet ancelled reservations in place during the 2 week extension to the lock down.

4/21/2021 5:50 pm  #17

So I have a trip starting May 15 so I asked AP if trips starting May 14 -20 would be cancelled. Answer I got back. If someone can please decipher.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/21/2021 5:51 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.