You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2021 7:49 am  #18

Re: Ice Out 2021

We’ll be in the park in May.

The current month of shutdown plus increasing vaccination rates will have things improving through the summer.

4/10/2021 11:07 am  #19

I have an 8 night trip booked starting May 15 which I’m confident will stand.  Was hoping to get in for a couple of nights for the trout opener but highly unlikely that happens now. Oh well.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/10/2021 2:49 pm  #20

Ok who had April10th?

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/10/2021 3:34 pm  #21

Look up 4 posts. Where's my cookie!

4/10/2021 4:04 pm  #22

4/10/2021 7:11 pm  #23

Today's first Modis shot suggests Algonquin is now largely ice free.   Unfortunately that doesn't really do us any good.  It's too bad that after a sequence of late ice out years we finally get an early ice out in a year when everything is shutdown due to a pandemic.

4/10/2021 7:13 pm  #24

Tried to get into North River Lake today... water levels too high.. the alders were so bad we turned around. 
Brent road kinda sketchy but passable to the crater

4/11/2021 12:04 pm  #25

It's official, April 10th!...... still holding out hope that they open the backcountry in April despite the ongoing restrictions.  Watching the covid update website closely.

https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2020/2020-03-14_covid19.php

4/11/2021 8:23 pm  #26

TrevaH wrote:

It's official, April 10th!...... still holding out hope that they open the backcountry in April despite the ongoing restrictions.  Watching the covid update website closely.

Unfortunately I can't see that happening....Hopefully I'm wrong though!

4/11/2021 8:51 pm  #27

Copy and pasted from the above link.

Ontario Parks has closed all backcountry camping from April 1 until May 14, 2021. No online reservations are possible during this time, since backcountry camping (both backpacking and canoe camping opportunities) are closed for the spring thaw. First-come, first-served reservations are not possible, since Ontario Parks has moved to 100% reservable campsites.

Does that last sentence mean that I now have to purchase my permit online and the days of showing up at the office without a reservation are over?

4/12/2021 6:54 am  #28

Not sure about backcountry but frontcountry allows you to get a site by just showing up if a spot is available.At least that is what we have experienced in the last number of years. Why would they turn you away if spots aren't booked?

4/12/2021 7:00 am  #29

petey wrote:

Not sure about backcountry but frontcountry allows you to get a site by just showing up if a spot is available.At least that is what we have experienced in the last number of years. Why would they turn you away if spots aren't booked?

I think the issue is that there is a huge influx this year in front country reservations. No longer are they holding non-reservable sites at the campgrounds which may very well have been what you scooped up in the past.

4/12/2021 7:23 am  #30

True that Zemantics, I'm mainly talking about the shoulder season when everything isn't booked. Mid week during May and October are generally good times to not need a reservation. Also noted, they seemed to be blocking sites last year that couldn't be booked and nobody on them. Mid week August last year and we managed to book a site for two days. Mostly everything appeared to be booked. Turns out that five sites around us remained empty for those two days. When I asked what was going on with that, I never got an answer.

4/12/2021 7:39 am  #31

Back on topic, May 14 in the park will be cuckoo this year. Can't wait to queue up on our first portage. Have to chat with our crew in regards to what to expect and how to remain sane during that poop show. The fishing might be slow, the bugs might be bad, but we'll have fun if it kills us

4/12/2021 7:45 am  #32

Steve E wrote:

TrevaH wrote:

I agree with Steve, they won't be opening up any overnight camping during the current stay at home order. 

On the other hand I am hopeful that they will open up reservations starting May 3rd or whatever the exact day is that the stay at home order expires. 

4/12/2021 8:01 am  #33

RobW wrote:

Steve E wrote:

TrevaH wrote:

I agree with Steve, they won't be opening up any overnight camping during the current stay at home order. 

On the other hand I am hopeful that they will open up reservations starting May 3rd or whatever the exact day is that the stay at home order expires. 

I was planning a trip to the park with my son starting May 3, but the 28 days from the start of the order takes it to May 6th I believe

4/12/2021 8:02 am  #34

I would suspect a lot of people make their reservations 5 months in advance and then, because it’s hard to plan a week in advance, no show the reservation because something else has come up.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.