You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2021 9:06 am  #1

Park Fees...future

While looking to book a trip in The Mass I noticed the back country fee there was 40+tax.  With my mind blown I did some investigating and it looks like aside from The Mass a bunch of other parks have different fees now. The Mass being the most expensive, espcially for solo's and tandems. 
I read it was a pilot and that they plan on rolling it out to the rest of the Parks in 2022 in some form.

Does anyone have more info on this?  I'm hoping they don't jack AAP's back country to $40+ a night flat. If they do they should have different rates for solo and tandems.
Thanks  

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/02/2021 9:50 am  #2

Re: Park Fees...future

Confirmed. That is the plan. Ontario parks is migrating all southern/central interior camping fees to pay by the site as opposed to pay by the person. The 2 pilots were Massassauga and Lady Evelyn. The rest of the parks were supposed to migrate this year. COVID or a change in direction may have slowed this down.

Here is a copy of a letter from OP

Dear Ms. ***

Thank you for your email of February 9, 2020 to Minister Yurek regarding the changes to the fee structure for backcountry camping in provincial parks. As the Manager of Operations and Development for Ontario Parks, I have been asked to respond on behalf of the Minister.

Ontario Parks is committed to the protection of Ontario’s natural environments for future generations and providing world-class recreational opportunities in provincial parks. We manage a system of 340 provincial parks which is largely funded through user fees collected solely for the use of Ontario Parks. The money that visitors pay for services like backcountry access and camping in Ontario Parks stays in Ontario Parks and in 2019, Ontario Parks operated at over 90 percent self-sufficiency.

Ontario Parks is moving from the current per-person-per-night fee to a flat-per-campsite fee model for backcountry camping. By doing so we are streamlining the backcountry fee structure across the province and making it consistent with our car camping fee model.The per night fees at The Massasauga and the Temagami Cluster of Parks are reflective of the amenities available at the respective parks.

The per-night fee for Massasauga backcountry campsites is higher than the fee for the Temagami cluster of parks as campsites at The Massasauga are outfitted with a picnic table, fire pit, and box privy and some have food lockers. The Temagami Cluster of Parks offer a more rustic experience with no extra amenities.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and your suggestions. Hearing from visitors to Ontario Parks helps us to continually improve what we have to offer in the future.

Sincerely,
Greg Wake | Manager – Operations and Development – Ontario Parks

Last edited by MartinG (3/02/2021 9:52 am)

3/02/2021 10:25 am  #3

I guess it was going to happen eventually. . . . . . . . .  sigh. 

3/02/2021 10:54 am  #4

Thank you for the information Martin.  While I understand their need to streamline and increase revenue to help maintain the parks, I feel that the flat flee will push out many solo people and possibly even duo's to crown land or non-operating parks.  As well it would discourage younger folks, who may not have the disposable funds to take a trip based on the proposed new fees.

MartinG wrote:

Confirmed. That is the plan. Ontario parks is migrating all southern/central interior camping fees to pay by the site as opposed to pay by the person. The 2 pilots were Massassauga and Lady Evelyn. The rest of the parks were supposed to migrate this year. COVID or a change in direction may have slowed this down.

Here is a copy of a letter from OP

Dear Ms. ***

Thank you for your email of February 9, 2020 to Minister Yurek regarding the changes to the fee structure for backcountry camping in provincial parks. As the Manager of Operations and Development for Ontario Parks, I have been asked to respond on behalf of the Minister.

Ontario Parks is committed to the protection of Ontario’s natural environments for future generations and providing world-class recreational opportunities in provincial parks. We manage a system of 340 provincial parks which is largely funded through user fees collected solely for the use of Ontario Parks. The money that visitors pay for services like backcountry access and camping in Ontario Parks stays in Ontario Parks and in 2019, Ontario Parks operated at over 90 percent self-sufficiency.

Ontario Parks is moving from the current per-person-per-night fee to a flat-per-campsite fee model for backcountry camping. By doing so we are streamlining the backcountry fee structure across the province and making it consistent with our car camping fee model.The per night fees at The Massasauga and the Temagami Cluster of Parks are reflective of the amenities available at the respective parks.

The per-night fee for Massasauga backcountry campsites is higher than the fee for the Temagami cluster of parks as campsites at The Massasauga are outfitted with a picnic table, fire pit, and box privy and some have food lockers. The Temagami Cluster of Parks offer a more rustic experience with no extra amenities.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and your suggestions. Hearing from visitors to Ontario Parks helps us to continually improve what we have to offer in the future.

Sincerely,
Greg Wake | Manager – Operations and Development – Ontario Parks

3/02/2021 10:58 am  #5

Remember come election time

Dave

3/02/2021 11:00 am  #6

Not good for solos but better for larger groups, no? Will avoid individuals booking the lake multiple times and only taking up one site. 

I plan only to mostly tandem and solo this year making it more expensive if that's the way APP goes. Oh well, it's the cost of entry into paradise. 

Last edited by RCSpartan (3/02/2021 11:01 am)

3/02/2021 11:03 am  #7

As someone who spends a lot of time solo in the parks, I really don't like this.  What used to be an inexpensive getaway is turning into a costly trip when you factor in the cost of gas, park fees, etc.  It's going to be difficult to justify the cost of a 7 or 8 night solo trip, that's for sure.

3/02/2021 11:18 am  #8

While better for 3 or 4 plus people it is certainly going to make people like yourself think twice.   True, it is Paradise Spartan.  I'm just concerned that for some who love the park, it will no longer be an affordable option and be priced out. 

Steve E wrote:

As someone who spends a lot of time solo in the parks, I really don't like this.  What used to be an inexpensive getaway is turning into a costly trip when you factor in the cost of gas, park fees, etc.  It's going to be difficult to justify the cost of a 7 or 8 night solo trip, that's for sure.

3/02/2021 11:39 am  #9

wow,, i can just about hear the laughter coming from the ice huts planted on algonquin lakes now as i type!!!
    keep those logging trucks rolling too !!!
       while we pay the freight costs,,  new chevy trucks for all  m.n.r. employees

3/02/2021 12:47 pm  #10

I'm not angry about it. ON Parks has the right to make decisions that it thinks are in its best interest and customers have the right to react to it.

For me, once implemented it will mean for the most part group trips only for APP. Solos will move out to unmaintained parks which is just fine with me. Lots of places to explore. 

As people make similar decisions or decide to not go at all I wonder if it will actually mean more revenue for ON parks. I for one will be sending them less.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/02/2021 1:09 pm  #11

Now that my shock is warn off I'm not angry about the price changes per say.  I'm angry about the effect on smaller groups seemingly not being considered. 
A two level price system would be more fair, if you want to call it that. A lower price or the same indvidual pricing for groups of 2 or 1 and the higher price for any number above that. Would allow the park to still increase Rev but not scare off the tandem or solo paddlers. I know, that makes too much sense and the Gov't aren't ones for doing what makes sense. 

ShawnD wrote:

I'm not angry about it. ON Parks has the right to make decisions that it thinks are in its best interest and customers have the right to react to it.

For me, once implemented it will mean for the most part group trips only for APP. Solos will move out to unmaintained parks which is just fine with me. Lots of places to explore. 

As people make similar decisions or decide to not go at all I wonder if it will actually mean more revenue for ON parks. I for one will be sending them less.

Last edited by BB (3/02/2021 1:25 pm)

3/02/2021 1:29 pm  #12

BB wrote:

I'm angry about the effect on smaller groups seemingly not being considered. 

Less paying solo trippers will go and you will have an increase in no - permit solo trippers taking their chances.

I mean a 7 night solo at $40.75 plus booking fee will be over $300.. that is one steep increase.

What is the fine for being caught without a permit?...Bet it isn't $300.

I play by the rules but I'm guessing many won't.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

3/02/2021 1:37 pm  #13

This is a stupid move. They are missing the bigger picture for the sake of small bump in revenue. The impact a group of 6 or 9 has on the park is drastically greater than the impact of a solo traveler. Yet they pay the same. All the garbage, environmental impact, damage, noise, and behavior issues that comes with a larger group is being subsidized by the solo and tandem traveler.

3/02/2021 1:45 pm  #14

Good point Shawn about people taking the chance of no permit.  Could be an unintended or unforeseen consequence. 

I, like you, follow the rules. 

ShawnD wrote:

BB wrote:

I'm angry about the effect on smaller groups seemingly not being considered. 

Less paying solo trippers will go and you will have an increase in no - permit solo trippers taking their chances.

I mean a 7 night solo at $40.75 plus booking fee will be over $300.. that is one steep increase.

3/02/2021 1:53 pm  #15

Agreed Martin.

There has definitely been some major over sights towards what I would say is a large segment of Park users.

Perhaps we should all be reaching out to our MPP's to highlight the shortcomings of this change in hopes of improving it before it gets rolled out to more parks. 

MartinG wrote:

This is a stupid move. They are missing the bigger picture for the sake of small bump in revenue. The impact a group of 6 or 9 has on the park is drastically greater than the impact of a solo traveler. Yet they pay the same. All the garbage, environmental impact, damage, noise, and behavior issues that comes with a larger group is being subsidized by the solo and tandem traveler.

3/02/2021 1:55 pm  #16

MartinG wrote:

Agreed but not surprising..Common Sense decision making doesn't appear to be their strong suit.

In addition to this, a group of say 10 or 11 are going to squeeze onto 1 site and take the risk of not being caught instead of paying a separate full fee for a second site. This will only increase the amount of damage larger groups have on sites.

3/02/2021 2:16 pm  #17

ShawnD wrote:

I think the fine is $150.  

I really don't understand why they wouldn't raise the price per person by a few bucks vs. the flat rate if this was really about revenue.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.