You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2021 1:35 pm  #1

Bikes and portages

I know you're not allowed to bike on logging roads, but does that extend to portages and canoe cart trails? I'm thinking specifically of the trail to Foys Lake. I just booked an overnight to Basin Lake and I'd like to check out Foys as a side trip, but the thought of an 8 KM round trip hike to get there is kind of holding me back.

2/28/2021 8:58 am  #2

Re: Bikes and portages

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

I know you're not allowed to bike on logging roads, but does that extend to portages and canoe cart trails? I'm thinking specifically of the trail to Foys Lake. I just booked an overnight to Basin Lake and I'd like to check out Foys as a side trip, but the thought of an 8 KM round trip hike to get there is kind of holding me back.

Given the damage I have seen inflicted to the hiking trails in Toronto’s ravines over the last 20 years or so that trail biking has been a thing, I will assume and hope not.

Dave

2/28/2021 12:21 pm  #3

the hike to Foys is not very difficult.  It has some hilly sections but it follows the old road so it's very easy walking.  It's an enjoyable hike and Foys makes a great mid-point stop for a lunch or coffee.  There's also a little side trail that takes you to another small lake that is nice too.  Lots of evidence of beavers!

2/28/2021 12:46 pm  #4

1. Bikes are not allowed on any trails in the park except those specifically marked as a bike trail.

2. 80% of the Foys lake port is a road. Ideal for a bike and there is no practical reason why you shouldn't be able to bike it.

2/28/2021 1:48 pm  #5

MartinG wrote:

1. Bikes are not allowed on any trails in the park except those specifically marked as a bike trail.

Sounds good, that’s what I wasn’t sure about. Thank you.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (2/28/2021 1:51 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.