You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2021 1:34 pm  #1

Videos - Ten Day one way solo - Cedar - Lavieille - Canoe

Last summer I had the chance to do a one-way solo trip from Cedar to Canoe Lake. It was an amazing, memorable trip - great weather, some tough travel days (15 portages in one day in a sea kayak is not something I'd recommend!), and incredible campsites. 

I published two videos from this trip last year, but only recently found time to finish the series. So here's all four videos of this trip - hope you enjoy them!

2/13/2021 8:45 pm  #2

Re: Videos - Ten Day one way solo - Cedar - Lavieille - Canoe

Great videos as always Bob. Not going to lie, there was a part of me that was really hoping there would be a fourth McIntosh campsite. I've never been further on the Petawawa than Plover, nice to see what's further downriver. In fact, a whole bunch of this trip is ground I've never covered. Looking forward to following in your footsteps at some point.

2/13/2021 11:58 pm  #3

Will make for some good lazy Sunday afternoon watching material!

When I was a younger and went to an overnight camp one of the infamously hard trips followed part of this route, we had a day called "Day of 21" which was 21 portages (I'm guessing the same 15 you did, plus a few). We were like 12 years old at the time so as you can imagine, it was just a full day of complaining. It made the 5km into Ope actually feel enjoyable.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/14/2021 7:09 am  #4

@Drew: A fourth campsite would have taken the comedy routine to a whole new level, no doubt. The Petawawa and Crow River day from Francis to Lavieille was an interesting experience. I was wet and uncomfortable most of that day, but the sun came out just as I reached Lavieille and then I had nothing but gorgeous weather to relax and recover in. 

@trippy: I think I'll be happy to call 15 my one-day limit for portages ;). I wonder if you came from Clamshell all the way to Lavieille? That'd be 21. I would definitely have liked to break things up a bit more evenly - Radiant to Francis was an eyeblink, but there aren't many places to stop along the way and I'm not a fan of river campsites. Plus I was happy to be set up on Francis before the rain came in, so in that sense it worked out well. 

2/14/2021 8:27 am  #5

Great series Bob! Sorry I missed the premier but I enjoyed your vids on Friday night.

I also follow this YouTuber who went from being a Vegan to going Keto. Still a good channel.. there is hope for you yet 

2/14/2021 9:44 am  #6

I know why you missed it Martin - you couldn't decide which tux to wear. 

Just between you and me, there's a Swift Cruiser in my future. The excuse for it is so that I can take my daughter camping with me, but we'll see if it ends up becoming my solo boat too. 

I haven't ordered it yet - maybe in the next year or so. 

2/14/2021 11:13 am  #7

If you were staying on Big Crow again, would you pick that site as your first choice?

2/14/2021 11:31 am  #8

I've stayed on that site before - it's nice and has a great beach.The only downside is that the wind is often right into your teeth there, but there's really no decent sites on the other side of the lake anyway. The site at the river mouth right near it is also very nice.  

Last edited by Uppa (2/14/2021 11:39 am)

2/15/2021 7:23 am  #9

Great videos Uppa and thanks for making me home sick once again!

From a fisherman's point of view, I camped on the first site on Mallic on your right.  It was here that during a fierce wind storm I was sitting on the thunder box and luckily able to hop away from a falling tree that landed just where I was sitting.  Talk about losing your shite...lol

Your trip from Big Crow to Big Trout was one hell of a day.  Maybe if I was 55 years younger.

There is a book called The Incomplete Anglers which describes a trip two novice fishermen took back in the 1940's? via train to Odenback Station on Radiant Lake and did the route you and I have done from Radiant to Lavieille.  Here the story continues on to Dickson and out to Opeongo.  Fantastic reading!

Again, thanks for the videos.  I 1000% totally agree with your perspective of Lavieille.

Bo

Last edited by boknows (2/15/2021 8:05 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

2/15/2021 12:00 pm  #10

I hate to be "that guy" and I mean this as a constructive comment, but I basically had to abandon watching this because of the disparity of volume levels between the music and dialogue.  If I turned it up loud enough to hear what you were saying, the music would blast me out of the room.

2/15/2021 2:27 pm  #11

@bo: glad you enjoyed them! Lavieille has pretty much become my favourite place in the park, at least for the time being. Between it being a gorgeous lake, there being no easy way to get there and the added discouragement of Dickson being closed, it feels further away from crowds than much of the park these days. Can't wait until my next trip takes me back there, although I don't think I'll get there this coming season. Big Crow to Big Trout was a 6 hour travel day. Kayaks are fast ;). I'll see if I can track down the book - thanks for the recommendation!

@rgcmce: someone made the same comment on YouTube for the first video. While the second video was posted long before that comment, I don't see the issue with that video and paid much more attention to volume levels for parts 3 and 4. Did you see the issue with all of them, or did you never make it past the first one due to the volume level disparity? 

2/15/2021 7:44 pm  #12

The first two; I didn't get beyond that.  I'll have another look and report back.

2/15/2021 8:31 pm  #13

I just did some really quick measurements with an app I downloaded for my ipad.  In the first video, the music was 10 to 20db louder than the voice, same for the second video but perhaps closer to 10db and about 10db for the third; I didn't try for the fourth.  Suffice to say the music is much louder than the voice but one can't say much more than that because our perception of sound is nonlinear.  Perhaps all of this is coloured by my preference that background music in outdoor videos be unobtrusive.

2/15/2021 8:41 pm  #14

Yeah, you’re not going to enjoy my videos if you don’t like music in them. With that as the criteria it will certainly be too loud!

Last edited by Uppa (2/15/2021 8:54 pm)

2/16/2021 9:01 am  #15

I was waiting for quite a while for that final video.
It didn't disappoint!!!!

Thanks

2/16/2021 12:49 pm  #16

Video 3 and video 4 were released a week apart - I can't have been much faster!

<pretends there wasn't a 4 1/2 month gap between part 2 and part 3>

Glad you enjoyed it!

2/20/2021 3:08 pm  #17

Perfect distraction on a winter day! High point for me was the big-sky lake dive, followed by the campfire transition. As for the volume shifts, I just slid my head-set up and down to level out the volume. And you have some good definition camera work there!

BTW. Have you repaired the yoke with something more than glue?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.