You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2020 8:35 am  #1

Permanent residents in APP

My daughter asked me an interesting question on our last trip to APP.  Has anyone heard of anyone living off the land in the backcountry of the park?  I told her that it was entirely possible but then it got me thinking as to whether there have been any stories/sightings over the years.

8/10/2020 9:42 am  #2

Re: Permanent residents in APP

Happens regularly. I wouldn’t call it living off the land. Squatting would be more accurate. People just go and setup a semi permanent camp and go in and out to get supplies. I recall it happening near the east gate many times as you can setup in the woods out of site of the buildings and then walk in to use the heated washrooms during the day. Probably happens near mew lake as well although I haven’t Heard of it there. Eventually the rangers get wind of it and just follow the tracks in the snow and find them.

8/13/2020 9:35 am  #3

Tom Thomson! Sure you've heard the stories?

I'm just gone Fishin!

8/13/2020 11:28 am  #4

8/18/2020 2:50 pm  #5

I opted to go with 'living off the land' instead of squatting ... although now that I think of it, squatting would have led to a good discussion on Stay in School!  Don't do drugs!  

@Martin - great article!

@splakin - no, I haven't.  Interested in the info though!

8/18/2020 3:26 pm  #6

grey owl used to roam algonquin at will,,, challenging the park wardens to catch him,,  i believe old archy was caught after falling through thin ice?  

9/23/2020 11:39 pm  #7

We've definitely seen signs of "emcampments" or whatever term is appropriate, along the Highland trail (maybe about 3-4 km in). It's in the distance, but it was an obvious permanent structure cobbled together out of tarps and wood. Was there in the early spring of 2019. Not sure about now, but I'll try to note it when next around that area, to see if it's still there.

1/13/2021 7:16 pm  #8

Martin - that was an interesting article. Living in the park is definitely possible. Nothing I'd like to try for an exteneded period. Reminds me of a book, Stranger in The Woods:The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit. This guy lived in the woods in Maine for 27 years. One day he just parked his car and walked away.

1/13/2021 8:04 pm  #9

The book on the hermit in Maine is a definite read. He’s in jail now, but the story is fascinating.

1/14/2021 3:52 pm  #10

many people in Maine are still very unhappy about that sentence, Christopher Knight literally got a slap on the wrist for stealing several thousands of dollars of supplies and equipment in approximately 1000 robberies, much of it from non- profit summer camps, which seriously impeded their ability to sponsor campers.

1/14/2021 6:13 pm  #11

Yes. I don’t recall the actual sentence. Very light compared to the headline grabbing multiple life sentences seemingly routine in the US.

The book interviews some of the locals who basically talk about living in fear of this random burglar living in the woods of their community. Scary for sure. It’s easy to look it off as just some idiot, until he breaks into your place.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.