You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2020 6:22 pm  #1

Big Bob - Rosebary loop

Hey all,

I'm starting to plan a trip for May 2021 and had a few questions about the Big Bob - Rosebary loop through the Tim Lake access point. Most of the trip reports/information I can find on this route are from 2018, and from what I've read the Little Nip between Big Bob and Grass Lake is pretty rough and choked out with Alders. Wondering if anyone went through in Spring of 2020 and how the river through that stretch was? I know it's an unmaintained area but hoping the route through isn't as bad as some were saying when they went through in 2018. 

Also, wondering about campsite recommendations. I'm thinking night 1 would be on Big Bob, night 2 around Grass Lake (undecided whether to take the site right before or after Grass - thoughts?), and nights 3-4 on Rosebary. Would love to hear some opinions on what campsites would be best along the way and any feedback on this route.

It'll be myself and my girlfriend doing the route in 4 nights. Were strong paddlers (albeit haven't done much winding river travel) and single carry portages. Any feedback is welcome! 

Thanks!

11/02/2020 10:28 pm  #2

Re: Big Bob - Rosebary loop

If you are going downstream, in mid May it's never a big deal. Just some Alder to pull through. Later in the summer it can feel a nightmare. Moreso if you are going upstream. Take the site downstream of Grass Lake.

11/04/2020 8:58 am  #3

Hi SpicyMustard420 (just brilliant username hahah)

Are you reading my mind? My buddies and I are planning the same trip but doing it in 5 nights (for more trout opportunities). We're also thinking BIg Bob, Grass Lake x2, Rosebary x2 or Rosebary, TIm.

We've done the TIm in-between Rosebary and Access 2 in late July. It was a very simple and enjoyable paddle, hence our reasoning on the direction of our 'loop'.

If memory serves me, I think I watched a Single Malt and Maps video of this loop in reverse. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPRjcAVw2sQrWnT3zw6RLXg 

Cheers

12/20/2020 1:36 pm  #4

Thanks for the info, Martin and geologicaldust (also a great username!).

I’ve decided to ditch the GF for this trip and turn it into a 6 night loop from access 3 heading through Magenetawan-> Queer -> Tim River -> Big Trout -> McIntosh -> Misty -> back through Magnetawan access. Any suggestions for great campsites/lakes to stay on?

12/20/2020 2:10 pm  #5

I've got plenty of campsite reports for those lakes (all except Tim River) on my site algonquinbeyond.com feel free to check it out and if you have any questions or want to see more pics of a specific site, just let me know

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/20/2020 2:16 pm  #6

Thanks, trippythings! I really like your site for trip planning. I’ve already been scouring it, and the PCI index here, for sites.

Any suggestions for must-stay lakes? I’m thinking McIntosh and Big Trout for sure but haven’t set anything in stone yet.

12/20/2020 2:39 pm  #7

Thanks! It really depends what you're looking for, but the lakes you've laid out seem like great choices. I've only camped on McIntosh once and I was all alone on the lake, but I really loved it. And Big Trout is definitely a favourite.

Queer is nice and has decent sites, but almost all of the sites are close by one another so it doesn't offer as much privacy as other lakes (although if you're going in May, this likely won't be an issue). The far east site on Little Trout (CS#3) could be a good alternative; it's private, has a small beachfront, and I'm sure it offers a gorgeous view of the sunset.

Misty is great as well; most sites seem to have a chunk of exposed rock by the water which I always enjoy having at a site.

White Trout is the only one you didn't list that you can consider (time permitting); if you're lucky enough to snag the small east island in the south, it's a gem of a site. I just generally really like that lake as well.

If you're set on doing the Tim I'd probably do something like Mag > Little Trout or Queer > Tim > Big Trout x2 > McIntosh > Misty

Of course if you plan on going towards mid-late May, the sites you take will likely be dictated by how exposed/breezy they are to help with the swam of bugs.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/20/2020 2:56 pm  #8

Thanks so much for the info, trippy!

12/26/2020 8:27 pm  #9

Ended up pulling the trigger on Little Trout > Tim R. (Lower Pine) > White Trout x2 > McIntosh > Misty. May can’t come soon enough!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.