You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2020 9:39 am  #1

Historic Riding Trail(s) On East Side?

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know any details of historic horseback riding trails near the Baron canyon area?  I understand there’s horseback riding done in southern area of park, but I wasn’t aware of any on the east side...  Ask as I came across a couple of these signs on a recent trip (the trail has since grown over)...  Thanks in advance :-)

upload a picture to the internet

10/05/2020 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Historic Riding Trail(s) On East Side?

Algonquin Park used to have a pretty significant equestrian Centre off the Achray road on the East side of the Park (Spoor Lake road I think). They had stables, a head quarters and offered overnight trips with large campsites and troughs for horses. but, I think the operator went out of business in the 80's or 90's.

The park management plan shows interest in expanding activities like horseback riding. In the summers horseback riding is allowed at the Leaf Lake ski trail system, logging roads in the McManus Lake area, and in Clyde and Bruton Townships (when these roads are not being used for logging). Services are provided through commercial operators with specific licenses.

And of course there is the use of horses and horse drawn carts to haul boats, fishermen, camping equipment and fishing gear that is allowed on the road joining the Lake Travers road and White Partridge Lake. Not exactly sure how you would book that.

10/05/2020 4:20 pm  #3

A few pics of overgrown remnants (but no details) here: https://mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20120430.html

10/08/2020 5:40 pm  #4

Thanks Guys! :-)

Bob - Interesting trip log...  Looks pretty similar to a recent day trip of ours...

Thanks again!
:-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.