You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2020 2:08 pm  #1

Leech Removal

What's the best way for getting leeches off you? I've always just slid my nail across where it's attached. I know others suggest salt or fire but I'm not sure that's recommended?  

7/13/2020 2:58 pm  #2

Re: Leech Removal

Any method that removes them AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!!!

I hate leeches.  Finger nails on a chalk board, HATE leeches.  

That being said, if they are small enough I will do the same as you and use a nail to pry them off. I have also been known to given them a quick yank. Don't know if that is the greatest method though.  Luckily have never had one attached to me that hasn't come off with one of those two methods.

I was looking forward to heading to the park in a couple weeks, now my paranoia of swampy take-outs is up to level 10!

7/13/2020 4:31 pm  #3

Using a nail to slide under the suction and slide them off is best.

The salt and fire methods can cause them to regurgitate back into the wound and cause an infection.

7/13/2020 4:43 pm  #4

Wire brush like you use on the BBQ should do the trick.

7/14/2020 6:41 am  #5

Then throw a little salt and lime juice on the wound to help stop the bleeding, Martin?

7/14/2020 8:48 am  #6

That doesn't make any sense. I would cauterize it.

7/14/2020 10:25 am  #7

MartinG wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. I would cauterize it.

Seems like it’s just time to amputate.

7/14/2020 11:47 am  #8

Good call, doctor.

7/15/2020 8:33 am  #9

I know this isn't really relevant, but.....I remember a leech incident when I was taking trips with my scout troop in the early 80's.  Dougie was an atypical scout - tall, broad-chested, strong as an ox, really, really solid - he played linebacker for my high school football team.  Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, but if you bumped into him you'd go flying.  He snapped a paddle in half one time when we were racing the canoes to our campsite, which is an absolutely fantastic story for another time.  Back to the leech.  We're at a site along a river, and Dougie got a leech on his thigh while swimming.  I was doing something else, but sensed the commotion, and glanced up to see Dougie dancing around the firepit area with incredibly urgency, begging the adults for help, yelling "Get it off !!  Get it off !!!!" 

I would have been just as desperate, but it was pretty comical to see that.

7/16/2020 10:17 am  #10

Salt works. Had one on my leg few yrs back. My buddy eagerly came at me with a lighter but I opted for the salt instead. Leech started breakdancing for a bit and then just went still. I was able to easily flick it off after that.
My neighbour claims beer well but I have yet to try that. Something about the carbonation he thinks.

7/16/2020 12:02 pm  #11

RCSpartan wrote:

Salt works. Had one on my leg few yrs back. My buddy eagerly came at me with a lighter but I opted for the salt instead. Leech started breakdancing for a bit and then just went still. I was able to easily flick it off after that.
My neighbour claims beer well but I have yet to try that. Something about the carbonation he thinks.

I’m no expert but I listen to them and it is almost universally stated to never use fire or salt to remove them. The bacteria in them can be regurgitated into the wound if you use salt/fire/shampoo/bug spray etc. Use a finger nail to slide under the mouth or use a credit card to slide it off.

Or a bbq grill scrubber if you’re Martin.

7/25/2020 9:24 pm  #12

I read this thread just before our trip this past week. My wife and I both had a leech on us and we used a drivers license card to remove them. Worked like a charm - thanks for the tip jd!!

7/26/2020 7:21 am  #13

Awesome. I’ve done the same a few times. Always works for me too.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.