You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2020 3:25 pm  #1

single wall shelters

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering what your experience has been, if any, with a single wall tent/shelter such as the Tarptent Rainbow/Double Rainbow in Algonquin. Will I be swimming in condensation each morning on campsites so close to the water's edge like they are in Algonquin? Or have you found it easy to mediate with ventilation, pitch location selection, and a little camp towel?

Thanks all

7/06/2020 3:30 pm  #2

Re: single wall shelters

Do you have the optional liner for the rainbow.. ? if so shouldn't be an issue..
I have used bivies and a single wall Nemo in AP and yes you will get some condensation but it can be managed with ventilation and location.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/06/2020 7:24 pm  #3

You need to make your own decisions about risks, but a UCO candle lantern eliminates condensation problems.

7/07/2020 2:11 pm  #4

Thanks guys.
I didn't know about the candle lantern trick. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.
I don't have a new shelter yet. I'm trying to get as much input as I can before I make a selection. Good to know that the liner should be effective.

7/07/2020 2:17 pm  #5

If you are looking at Tarptent for a new shelter... the Moment DW is one of the best solo shelters available IMO.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

7/07/2020 2:42 pm  #6

I will go one step further and say the Moment DW is the best solo canoe tripping tent on the market. It is extremely fast and easy set up (sub 2 minutes), It sets up fly first so your tent body doesn't get rained on during set up. It is very small yet still has 2 symmetrical entrances and 2 vestibules. This gives you lots of flexibility in tent site selection. It is only 2 pounds and doesn't require trekking poles like most UL tents. It is made of 30d Silnyon that you have to seam seal. Not tissue paper thin. No polyurethane coating to get sticky and fail. No seam tape to fail.  

Last edited by MartinG (7/07/2020 3:02 pm)

7/07/2020 3:17 pm  #7

The Moment looks awesome, but I (we) need a two person shelter. Womp womp. Otherwise I'd be all over that Moment model.

7/07/2020 6:19 pm  #8

I have a Scarp II - great tent.

7/08/2020 6:28 am  #9

@Martin is there a Canadian source for that tent or did you have to order from the US?

7/08/2020 7:44 am  #10

Direct from the manufacturer is the only source for TarpTents. I bought both mine used.

7/08/2020 8:12 am  #11

Bob..There was a Moment DW on MEC Gear swap last month so they do come up occasionally. 

And if they make a dyneema version of the Moment DW next year which I'm guessing they might.. I might have a Silnylon Moment DW and/or  Bowfin 1 up for sale.

While a CDA distributor would be great, they  want to sell to Canada.. very decent $20 US flat rate shipping to Canada and since the tent is made in the US, only extra cost you might have at the border is HST.. shouldn't be any duty.

Exchange rate is killer right now though

Last edited by ShawnD (7/08/2020 11:13 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.