You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2020 8:49 am  #1

Looking for a new PFD - any suggestions?

I'm looking to possibly buy a new PFD and was wondering what people recommend. My main priority is comfort and being small in size... the overall "I forgot I was even wearing it" feeling. Thin/flat shoulder straps would obviously be important for portaging.

I don't care about storage, hand warming pockets, or anything like that. I just want something small and light.

Budget is ideally <$100.

Any thoughts about these options?

Small/compact: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/aqueous-extreme-paddling-vest-0791927p.html#srp

Budget friendly: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-paddling-vest-small-medium-0792013p.html#srp

Heard good things about this brand: https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/gear-by-activity/water/pfd-safety-gear/pfd/product/salus-ungava-touring-pfd-332040772.html#332040772%5Bcolor%5D=332040772_01

Seems like a mix of everything: https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/gear-by-activity/water/pfd-safety-gear/pfd/product/capix-buoy-universal-pfd-332815941.html#332815941=332815945

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/02/2020 3:16 pm  #2

Re: Looking for a new PFD - any suggestions?

I have the Ungava and like it. I think it really depends upon your particular body shape.  In normal times, I would want to try it on.
I don't wear it portaging --haven't tried.  I just hang it on the back of my pack.

7/02/2020 6:25 pm  #3

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I use a Guide PFD. It's all about the pockets for me.

In my PFD I carry a rescue knife; fishing license; ID with $50 cash and permit; 3 or 4 snacks; InReach; Forceps; Stringer; small line clippers; whistle; sunscreen; lip balm; bug spray; camera.

If you up you budget this is a great deal  https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-115/Fulcrum-Guide-PFD

7/02/2020 7:19 pm  #4

rgcmce wrote:

I have the Ungava and like it. I think it really depends upon your particular body shape.  In normal times, I would want to try it on.
I don't wear it portaging --haven't tried.  I just hang it on the back of my pack.

Which body shape would you recommend it for? I'm about 5'7 fit/slim. I agree normally I would like to try some on, but realistically I'd make this purchase blind and hope for the best. It depends what else I'm carrying but sometimes I'll clip it onto my pack as well, but I like at least having the option to wear it while portaging.

MartinG wrote:

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I use a Guide PFD. It's all about the pockets for me.

In my PFD I carry a rescue knife; fishing license; ID with $50 cash and permit; 3 or 4 snacks; InReach; Forceps; Stringer; small line clippers; whistle; sunscreen; lip balm; bug spray; camera.

If you up you budget this is a great deal https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-115/Fulcrum-Guide-PFD

I have a tiny daypack maybe 8L that I fill with similar items... duct tape, bugspray, sunscreen, GoPro, a few snacks, mini first aid kit, and a micro pelican case with my ID, permit, and InReach. I don't think the pockets on a PFD would work as an alternative, especially given the length of the GoPro attachment I use.

I have a bad habit of not wearing my PFD that often which is the main reason I want something light and compact, it will make it easier for me to change my habit.

I'd consider stretching closer to $150 for something like what you recommended though, is just seems like the pockets are wasted space / unnecessary bulk if I won't be using them?

algonquinbeyond.com

7/02/2020 11:03 pm  #5

I expect it's what you get used too.

My PFD is usually  heavy with things. The things might vary depending on the trip. On a fast and light trip, I might leave the fishing stuff at home. On a river trip, I might carry a pin kit. If I'm expecting a long day, I might fill the pockets with more food items. I always find it convenient to have a variety of things on my person. My PFD fits well and it is very comfortable. As a result, it is on 100% of the time. I don't know that the weight or compactness of a PFD is going to change how often you wear it.

Either way, if any if the MEC branded PFD's look good to you, it might worth picking one up. Great value and who knows how much longer MEC will be around.

7/03/2020 12:38 pm  #6

MartinG wrote:

...I always find it convenient to have a variety of things on my person. My PFD fits well and it is very comfortable. As a result, it is on 100% of the time....

The daypack I mentioned never leaves my side. Even when I'm solo and double-carrying, I usually take it with me for both carries. It's really tiny and even when full is only 10lbs max, but with my InReach and first aid kit, I want it with me 100% of the time.

MartinG wrote:

....I don't know that the weight or compactness of a PFD is going to change how often you wear it....

I have a cheap wal-mart one right now and I hate wearing it because it's just so bulky and I don't have good range of motion while wearing it. So I was hoping that something less cumbersome would change my attitude.

Definitely not going to rule out MEC though, will keep looking at their options. Thanks for the suggestion.

algonquinbeyond.com

7/03/2020 6:15 pm  #7

trippythings wrote:

rgcmce wrote:

Which body shape would you recommend it for? I'm about 5'7 fit/slim. I agree normally I would like to try some on, but realistically I'd make this purchase blind and hope for the best. It depends what else I'm carrying but sometimes I'll clip it onto my pack as well, but I like at least having the option to wear it while portaging.

Mine has a size label that reads "Large - X-Large", whatever that means.  I can't remember if that model came in a whole bunch of different sizes or not.  But I do remember trying on several different pfds before finding a fit that I liked.  (And I also remember not finding a fit that I liked on previous shopping expeditions.)  I bought it quite a few years ago, maybe as many as 10, but it looks like the picture in the link you provided.

I am a shade under 6 ft and weigh 170 lb., 36" waist, although I might have been closer to 200 when I bought it.

7/04/2020 6:27 pm  #8

NRS makes a nice vest, at least I think so, that's what I use, but they run small, and remember in Spring and Fall you sometimes need to wear more than a t-shirt.  Mine is size "fat".  I think it is "X-Large to XX-Large".  I'm 200 pounds, 5' 9", so....I admit to have a more roundish shape than ideal.  

7/06/2020 8:24 am  #9

my last 3 have all been from Kokatat but MEC makes good knock offs.
Guide, Bahia and current one is the Orbit which I think I like the best.
Has to have pockets for me. I store many of the same things listed by Martin.
The Orbit offers greater mobility and is lighter.. still decent pockets. its small enough that it fits in a sleeve in my solo pack so i don't have to worry about attaching it to the canoe.. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/06/2020 3:22 pm  #10

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The NRS Ninja and Kokatat Orbit look perfect (although a bit more than I wanted to spend) but I can't seem to find them online anywhere.

algonquinbeyond.com

7/06/2020 3:41 pm  #11

trippythings wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The NRS Ninja and Kokatat Orbit look perfect (although a bit more than I wanted to spend) but I can't seem to find them online anywhere.

hmm looks like the orbit might have been replaced with the hustle..

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-535/Hustle-PFD

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

7/06/2020 4:52 pm  #12

ShawnD wrote:

trippythings wrote:

hmm looks like the orbit might have been replaced with the hustle..

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6008-535/Hustle-PFD

Hmm... so should I double my budget? lol

algonquinbeyond.com

7/06/2020 5:05 pm  #13

Ya not cheap. 

How about the Salus tango ? That might meet your specs. 

https://www.trailheadpaddleshack.ca/salus-trailhead-pfd-tango.html

7/06/2020 8:48 pm  #14

ShawnD wrote:

Ya not cheap.

How about the Salus tango ? That might meet your specs.

https://www.trailheadpaddleshack.ca/salus-trailhead-pfd-tango.html

That does look like a good option. Trying to find somewhere local in case I buy it and decide it's no good and want to return... seems like every shop that sells them are in Ottawa

The MEC Fulcrum looks like a great option as well if there wasn't a buckle on the shoulder strap which will get in the way while portaging.

algonquinbeyond.com

7/07/2020 10:17 am  #15

trippythings wrote:

The MEC Fulcrum looks like a great option as well if there wasn't a buckle on the shoulder strap which will get in the way while portaging.

Trippy I actually have an extra MEC Fulcrum I don't need. In very good shape. Its yellow.

All yours if you want it. You just need to pick it up.. I'm in Barrie..

It is a size small though.

7/07/2020 10:52 am  #16

Sent you a message

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.