You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2020 11:48 am  #18

Re: Jeff's Map UNLOSTIFY - Algonquin Park

eddyturn; I get what you're saying, but I'll always opt for maps with too much info rather than too little. the point about lake heights is that it give you an idea of the ruggedness of a portage, direction of flow and current speed. If you've got 2 lakes with a 50' difference in height and 200' between them, you can pretty well guarantee a steep portage, or unrunnable section, but if they're 1000' apart, the odds are that the river between them will, at least in part, be runnable.
as for portages, some of what used to be black ones used 50 yr old data, and since then the portage has been rerouted to the other side of the lake, I've taken a couple of hours to find a portage in the past because they were nowhere near where the map said.
At least Jeff's maps were "ground truthed" by actual paddlers.

6/10/2020 6:30 pm  #19

I do not argue the value of elevation information in general, neither the value of Jeff's AP map. But in Algonquin everything is so civilized and so un-wilderness that I welcome any uncertainty to compensate for lack of adventure, be it an unexpectedly steep portage, lack of water or a map discrepancy.
As for excessive information on the map - it could become a real issue in adverse conditions (though, following my argument I should probably welcome it as well). For my eyes FOAP map is much easier to read than Jeff's maps.

7/02/2020 11:49 pm  #20

Whatever you do, dont order from Jeffs map right now.  Took kyt money and i am mapless before my trip next week.  Wish i had done a bit more reading!!

7/03/2020 6:57 am  #21

PM me.

I prefer printing out the section that I'm going to paddle each day on a 4x6 photo.

Laminate photos back-to-back with clear packing tape, or laminating machine if you're fancy.

if I round the corners, it fits perfectly into my life jacket pocket.

M

7/03/2020 7:49 am  #22

PS. regarding the Jeff's Maps, one thing that drives me CRAZY is the fact that he puts all previous known lake names. that's totally useless, and clutters the map. 

The one thing that I do prior to printing, it to increase the contrast and improve white balance. Much better that way.

7/03/2020 8:55 am  #23

Marko_Mrko wrote:

PM me.

I prefer printing out the section that I'm going to paddle each day on a 4x6 photo.

Laminate photos back-to-back with clear packing tape, or laminating machine if you're fancy.

if I round the corners, it fits perfectly into my life jacket pocket.

M

I do something similar but I print two screenshots per page, fold the page in half (so the photos end up being back-to-back) and stick it into a ziplock bag.

If it's a route that needs more than just those two back-to-back photos, which is usually the case, the screenshots for the rest of the route get placed in the middle of the fold. So I only have one ziplock and at the end of each day I just rotate the photos.

I usually keep one ziplock in my pocket and a backup in one of my packs just in case I lose the first. Avenza on my phone is always a backup as well.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/03/2020 9:49 am  #24

I always carry a small-scale backup map in the pack. It covers much larger area than what's required for the trip, just in case if I have to seriously alter my route. It's a security provision, as important as a second paddle.My day-to-day map is large-scale, printed on waterproof paper and carried in a large map case. On portages the case is attached to outside of the pack, that way, if confused, all I have to do to consult it is to put the pack on the ground. I'm often confused, though less in AP compared to other places.

7/03/2020 12:32 pm  #25

EddyTurn wrote:

I always carry a small-scale backup map in the pack. It covers much larger area than what's required for the trip, just in case if I have to seriously alter my route. It's a security provision, as important as a second paddle.My day-to-day map is large-scale, printed on waterproof paper and carried in a large map case. On portages the case is attached to outside of the pack, that way, if confused, all I have to do to consult it is to put the pack on the ground. I'm often confused, though less in AP compared to other places.

I should add to my last post and say that one of the printed pictures that stays "within the fold" of the others is a screenshot that covers a much wider radius, like you said, just as an extra precaution. So it never becomes part of the rotation (ie it never gets the 'outside' position) but it's there as backup.

I like having them small enough to fit in a ziplock because that way I keep it in my pocket at all times; so mid portage if I need to reference something I don't need to even stop to take the pack off, I can just grab it from my pocket while walking.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/03/2020 1:43 pm  #26

I buy a map and take it with me. Map man gotta eat too.  Mostly it stays in my pocket and I look for the bright yellow signs.

7/04/2020 6:03 pm  #27

MartinG wrote:

I buy a map and take it with me. Map man gotta eat too.  Mostly it stays in my pocket and I look for the bright yellow signs.

And that is the right answer.

7/06/2020 2:15 pm  #28

MartinG wrote:

Haha. Yeah, that’s about where I am these days. It’s probably also why I get turned around at least once a trip.

7/06/2020 3:05 pm  #29

I generally screenshot/print out the relevant section of map, laminate it and stick it in my hat or front pocket, but I study the map so relentlessly before I leave (day-dreaming about my trip) that I seldom need to refer to it.

7/07/2020 1:51 pm  #30

I really like the additional historic information on Jeff's Map and I assume that will be carried forward to the Unlostify map.   A few years back while travelling from Maple Lake back to Kioshkokwi Lake via Maple Creek, a route I had done many times before, my son informed me that there were the remains of an old logging camp off of the next portage.   We easily found the side trail leading to it and were amazed to find four or five rows of metal bunk bed frames in the forest!   Hard to believe that at an earlier point in time there were 80 to 100 men working at this remote location.

7/07/2020 10:36 pm  #31

MartinG wrote:

100% this.  I'm heading up to the Chiniguchi area this week and it is heart breaking I cannot just buy a map anymore.  Computer printed maps and Avenza Topos just don't have the same feel.  Jeff has revolutionized Ontario Canoe maps and yeah, the map man gotta eat.  

7/08/2020 10:11 pm  #32

TripperMike, what about Ottertooth maps for Chiniguchi? Can be downloaded for free and no mistakes.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.