You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2020 4:18 pm  #1

Sleeping pad

Hi all,

My thermarest has seen better days and I’m going to replace it. What do people use/recommend? I’m happy going back to thermarest, but is there something out there that you’ve liked better?

6/19/2020 4:48 pm  #2

Re: Sleeping pad

Dude. I posted a crazy great deal on the thermarest neoair just a few weeks ago. They were 50% off.

The 2 best on the market (in my opinion anyway) are the neoair x-therm and neoair x-lite. Both made by thermarest.

If you have an old self inflating thermarest you’ll find the neoair to be incredible. It’s a huge comfort leap forward.

The x-therm is a little heavier but is more durable and has a higher insulation value. I have 4 x-therms for me and the family. Expensive but totally worth it.

6/19/2020 7:37 pm  #3

I use x-therm not so much for temp rating as for being extra cushy. Only issue it has a tendency to develop tiny punctures, though I'm careful not to bring any broken glass in the tent. Nothing that Tear aid can't take carу of.

6/19/2020 8:34 pm  #4

Thanks Eddy and JDB - How compact do they get when you pack them up?

6/19/2020 8:38 pm  #5

Very small. You’ll be surprised at how small if you haven’t seen one. Order the wide version. Totally worth it.

6/19/2020 8:42 pm  #6

From what I hear, Thermarest is the way to go. I own a couple Klymit Static V and I'm perfectly happy with them. Much more budget friendly, extremely compact and lightweight, and I personally find it really comfy. It doesn't have the best R value compared to more expensive options, but I've used it as low as -1 degree celcius with a good winter sleeping bag and had no issues. If you're looking for budget, I'd highly recommend it; if you're looking for the best, probably worth sticking with Thermarest.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/19/2020 10:12 pm  #7

One vote for Exped downmat here. It's my cushy go-to if im tenting. I just use the thermarest as an underpad when hammocking.

6/20/2020 11:17 am  #8

I’ve just bought a sea to summit insulated thermolite, 6.3 cm when inflated, R value 4.2  at half price ( thanks for the link jdbonney) we camp only in shoulder season, but I’m a warm sleeper, so Rvalue wasn’t much of a concern for me. Our  thermarests are 20+ years old, and still in great shape, self inflatable which I love. I’m a died in the wool thermarest user, but find the oldies bulky, weight wasn’t much of an issue. Nowadays Though I need shoulder and hip support, the thermarest mondo king is fantastic for that but not for long canoe trips and moving lots, far to bulky.
I don’t care for the thermarest neoair mattress, it makes crinkly noises when you move around on it, which bother me.
So far the sea to summit inflates easily with a few breaths, and my hips and shoulders stay off the ground, giving me a comfortable sleep. And no bothersome crinkley noises. I’ve no experience with sea to summit at all, so we’ll see how this lasts. Having a large frame and being 6’tall, this mattress (L] is wide enough so I don’t roll off and so far suits me to a T. And the very small packing size is a very big plus!

6/20/2020 12:09 pm  #9

Jdbonney wrote:

Very small. You’ll be surprised at how small if you haven’t seen one. Order the wide version. Totally worth it.

100%! Made in the USA too. Parent company is Cascade Designs, certainly one of the best in the industry for making high quality products, domestically when possible, backed up by a great warranty/customer service. Companies like this should be rewarded.

6/20/2020 12:40 pm  #10

https://www.cleverhiker.com/best-sleeping-pads

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-sleeping-pad

https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-backpacking-sleeping-pads

The neoair is very highly recommended. The only downside generally sited is cost. It’s pricey. I’ve managed to get all of
Mine on sale at least 25% off.

6/20/2020 3:13 pm  #11

I’ve read a few reviews of the xlite that complain about the crinkly sound similar to what tentersforever mentioned. Is this a universal thing then or does it depend on how much you move? Like, does it crinkle at every slight movement or it is more of a rolling over thing?

6/20/2020 5:27 pm  #12

With 4 of them in our tent we still sleep soundly. Yes they make noise, but no it won’t ruin your sleep. I guess that would depend on how soundly you sleep. I noticed it the first time I got it and thought I would have to take it back. First night sleeping on it and I never thought about it again.

6/20/2020 8:50 pm  #13

Tried the neoair  inside a  MEC store, in a setup floor model tent. It made this crinkley noise with every movement I made, and it instantly irritated me. As I’ve normally  got all kinds of trouble falling asleep I knew this would not be it.
But for others it may not be an issue at all, as some of the responses clearly show.

6/20/2020 10:24 pm  #14

They crinkle like crazy but it does settle/quiet down over time (Plus you get used to it). I cut my Thermarest X-Therm Max down a bit. Took 6" off the length. It is a multi layered material with the inside being sort of like a mylar space blanket. That is what makes the crinkly noise. Doesn't bother me at all any more. 

6/20/2020 11:08 pm  #15

How on earth did you do that and get an airtight seal after? Amazing!

6/21/2020 8:40 am  #16

Scissors and a household iron. It just melts the nylon back together. Mine has held fine for a couple of years. 

6/21/2020 5:38 pm  #17

Wow, crazy, I can’t believe that works. That’s inspiring me to try the same with my folding camp sink- I didn’t think an iron would get hot enough.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.