You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2020 4:16 pm  #18

Re: Talk to me about Unicorn Hill

TripperMike wrote:

If you don't want to hit it twice, why not go out through Philips/Madawaska/Radiant?  As mentioned, you have probably carried on trails that are not much different, this one just has a nickname. 

I'd rather do the 2.3km downhill on the way back vs. adding that many more km's to the trip looping through Radiant, including the 3.5km and needing to cross the length of Cedar on my last afternoon. I might consider the 2.9km from Luckless though if I really don't want to do Unicorn again

captainchaos2000 wrote:

I portaged Unicorn Hill in 2018.  Part of a ten day solo trip.  Did the double carry and it wasn't a big deal.  Sipping some Whiskey by the fire on Catfish at the end of the day was a nice reward.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Sounds similar to what I'll be planning, close to a ten day solo, and definitely whiskey by the fire

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/06/2020 5:31 pm  #19

Luckless to Nipissing is fine, Nipissing to Luckless is worse than unicorn hill.

6/06/2020 6:52 pm  #20

Been across it twice from Hogan, booth times double carries. The first time it was 104 plus the humidex.
That being said it not a bad walk. Ya the fist bit leaving Hogan is a bit of a climb but hump your gear to the top and then enjoy what I found to be a rather nice walk in the woods.

6/06/2020 7:44 pm  #21

Peek wrote:

Luckless to Nipissing is fine, Nipissing to Luckless is worse than unicorn hill.

That's not possible, it doesn't even have a fancy name.

Rob wrote:

Been across it twice from Hogan, booth times double carries. The first time it was 104 plus the humidex.
That being said it not a bad walk. Ya the fist bit leaving Hogan is a bit of a climb but hump your gear to the top and then enjoy what I found to be a rather nice walk in the woods.

Which portage are you referring to? I'm talking about the 2.3km leading into Catfish

algonquinbeyond.com

6/06/2020 8:02 pm  #22

Peek wrote:

What Peek said.

6/06/2020 8:51 pm  #23

Whenever I am speaking to someone about a trip in some park, and they mention a portage by name, I pause.  Very rarely is a portage named because it was very caring and loving.  No.... it's named because it has caused someone, somewhere, pain.

6/06/2020 10:03 pm  #24

trippythings wrote:

Peek wrote:

That's not possible, it doesn't even have a fancy name.

Rob wrote:

Which portage are you referring to? I'm talking about the 2.3km leading into Catfish

Oops wrong unicorn hill. I was thinking of Hogan to Big Crow.
That's what I get for just skimming a post.

6/07/2020 10:34 pm  #25

Peek wrote:

... did the hill on Monday, it's fine.

That’s great that you already got a trip in during this Pandemic. I’m hoping to go soon but I don’t want to wear full bug gear and I don’t want to subject the dog to endless mosquito bites. So, how were the bugs?

6/08/2020 8:19 am  #26

Unicorn Hill was tough when I did it a few years back. It was a crazy hot and muggy day which made it all the more challenging. It's a good sense of accomplishment once finished. As stated before, don't let one portage derail a trip. 
Came back from doing the Devil's Staircase over the weekend. You could tell I was no where near being in mid-season form. 

6/08/2020 8:25 am  #27

I was in the park around the Achray area and made the mistake of bringing my dog. I was fine with permethrin soaked clothes but my poor Portuguese water dog got eaten alive, especially her belly. Won't bring her again during blackfly season. They were bad in friday's heat but with the wind and colder temperatures they weren't too much of an issue on Saturday and Sunday, 

6/08/2020 8:48 am  #28

RCSpartan wrote:

Unicorn Hill was tough when I did it a few years back. It was a crazy hot and muggy day which made it all the more challenging. It's a good sense of accomplishment once finished. As stated before, don't let one portage derail a trip. 
Came back from doing the Devil's Staircase over the weekend. You could tell I was no where near being in mid-season form. 

How would you compare Unicorn Hill to Devil's Staircase? I thought Devil's Staircase was 'tough', but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Of course it's also significantly shorter than Unicorn Hill

algonquinbeyond.com

6/08/2020 9:07 am  #29

trippy, I just checked my GPS track from Monday's trip up the hill to get the actual numbers for ya.
The 'hill' itself is 548m long and begins just after the sharp left turn (see trail on map) and ends at the 'height of portage' mark.
It rises 49m over 548m, which equates to about a 9% grade.
Honestly, it's not that bad. Much much worse portages and hills out there.

If the Devils staircase you're referring to is between Big Porc & Ragged, it rises 51m over 560m - so its pretty much identical, super close in fact. I've only ever walked down it, so can't give an 'up' opinion, but the math says its the same as unicorn hill.. maybe a fraction worse.

Last edited by Peek (6/08/2020 9:07 am)

6/08/2020 9:31 am  #30

Thanks Peek, that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Correct I'm referring to the one between Big Poc & Ragged... so sounds like Unicorn Hill is basically Devil's Staircase with an extra 900m tacked on to either end.

algonquinbeyond.com

6/08/2020 9:38 am  #31

Devil's staircase is much shorter but goes pretty much straight up the whole 600 or so meters. Unicorn Hill is more of a slow gradual and constant climb if I remember correctly. I would personally take the shorter pain and have it over and done with. Legs were burning after the DS for sure.

6/08/2020 12:03 pm  #32

On the topic of steep, uphill portages - anyone walked the Golden Staircase from Kimball's into Rockaway? Located just outside the park border via Dividing lake/Hollow river area.  I've got a friend with a cottage on Kawagama and we've long discussed a trip from the dock into the park.  

6/08/2020 1:49 pm  #33

i used to walk the golden stair case every day while moose hunting,, now that is a hill,,
       the first third of the trail is old road then the hill starts,, up ,up and up some more,, ( beauty beach at east end of kimball)  the trail follows the creek,, there are some nice spots to sit in the waterfalls to cool down along the way,,
           take the left fork on the trail,, might be a sign???  last i heard there was some beaver work done and some flooding,
   bloody worst trail in algonquin for me,
     i have also done unicorn hill,,  golden staircase is worst in m.h.o.

6/08/2020 10:05 pm  #34

TripperMike wrote:

If you don't want to hit it twice, why not go out through Philips/Madawaska/Radiant?  ... 

It's a really nice route though I hated that 3.5 K portage before radiant.  It wasn't particularly tough but I felt every time it approached the river was a giant tease.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.