You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2020 1:37 pm  #1

Ethanol fuel

Hey Team Algonquin,
A few years ago I picked up a 4L jug of Bio-Flame ethanol at Cdn Tire for use in my alcohol stove. I realized today when packing for an upcoming trip that I'm down to my last 250ml or less. I tried to check all the major retailers but none of them seem to stock ethanol anymore. Anyone know why?

After experimenting with different fuels I found ethanol to be the best. Was the safest burn in terms of respiratory concerns and, when diluted with water, was very economical. Bummer if I can't get it anymore. Thanks

6/02/2020 4:22 pm  #2

Re: Ethanol fuel

I would think pure ethanol would have always been a tough thing to find. They almost always denature (aka poison) ethanol so nobody starts drinking it. 

How about this? https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/regal-flame-prime-ventless-bio-ethanol-fireplace-fuel-rgfl1066.html?piid=

6/04/2020 12:01 pm  #3

Not sure what kind of stove you are running, but I've been using Methyl Hydrate for a few years in my little Trangia burner.  A 4L jug at CT is around $10.00 and lasts me 2+ seasons.  

6/04/2020 1:09 pm  #4

Methyl Hydrate is the way to go in Canada. Available everywhere. The Yellow bottle of Heet gas line antifreeze seems popular too.

6/05/2020 5:25 am  #5

Sadly, it seems that Canada banned ethanol fuels in 2019... darn!! I didn't realize this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/health-canada-alert-danger-ethanol-firepots-1.5316255

I agree about ethanol, it is superior to methanol (ie methyl hydrate) for a couple of reasons:

1. It won't kill you as easily. Ingesting onlyout 10g of methanol will cause blindness
2. It has more energy per volume.

Too bad... Looks like you're back to methanol.  The only other possibility is high-proof alcohol. Everclear grain alcohol is 95% and is sold in Alberta... ... And the bonus is that it's actually (barely?) drinkable.

6/08/2020 8:10 am  #6

Thanks all!
Bummer re: the banning of ethanol fuels.
Just came back from the Park where I used a blend of the last of my ethanol mixed with some methyl hydrate. Researched before and, because they are both alcohol based, it is ok to do.
Also added a little bit of H2O in my Trangia burner before lighting to temper the flame. Wow, best burn I've ever had in all my years of using that stove.

6/08/2020 11:08 am  #7

RCSpartan wrote:

Also added a little bit of H2O in my Trangia burner before lighting to temper the flame. Wow, best burn I've ever had in all my years of using that stove.

Interesting!!! How? Why? How much?

Lemme know!

6/08/2020 11:27 am  #8

@Marko_Mrko Given ethanol burns quite hot I've always added some water to keep the flame under control and to avoid soot on my pots. Try adding about 10% water to your fuel start and experiment. 
For some reason the ethanol/methanol mix I happened upon last weekend was bang on in terms of quality of flame.

6/08/2020 7:22 pm  #9

RCSpartan wrote:

@Marko_Mrko Given ethanol burns quite hot I've always added some water to keep the flame under control and to avoid soot on my pots. Try adding about 10% water to your fuel start and experiment. 
For some reason the ethanol/methanol mix I happened upon last weekend was bang on in terms of quality of flame.

Im not a combustion expert but I believe that both soot and smoke arise because of incomplete combustion. This occurs often in campfires because of the rapid cooling as the flames rise up into the air. I’ve been tinkering with a home built batch rocket stove on my deck and it’s able to produce some super clean smokeless burns. Even the hottest campfires I’ve been making in the woods put out a ton of smoke in comparison. Now I’m going to build a smaller lightweight batch rocket that I hope to use for winter camping.

Maybe using 100% ethanol in your stove manages to eject too much fuel (relative to the oxygen and heat) and adding the water somehow brings things back into balance?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.